Economic relativity

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Economic relativity

Post by Badfellow »

Just curious what you all would pay for the following in your various locales.

Went out last night. Had 1 Coors Banquet, a bacon cheeseburger with onion rings and a side of coleslaw, and 5 Wild Turkey on the rocks. The total before tip was $30.

Relative to my own experience, this seems fairly cheap. Especially in the current climate of inflation. But to some guy in the Congo or someone living under a bridge, this $30 spent might seem a frivolous extravagance. Thoughts?
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Economic relativity

Post by Badfellow »

Went out last night. Had 1 Coors Banquet, a bacon cheeseburger with onion rings and a side of coleslaw, and 5 Wild Turkey on the rocks. The total before tip was $30.

Relative to my own experience, this seems fairly cheap. Especially in the current climate of inflation. But to some guy in the Congo or someone living under a bridge, this $30 spent might seem a frivolous extravagance. Thoughts?

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: Economic relativity

Post by Nausea »

The 5 Wild Turkey would run you over $30 alone in Durango.

To get a cheeseburger at a place that sells WT, you're looking at another $18-$20.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

As fortune would have it, they have Wild Turkey priced as a rail whiskey at $4. Who am I to correct them regarding its true, premium nature?

Jesus, $18-20 for a cheeseburger? That’s rape.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Nausea wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:54 pm
The 5 Wild Turkey would run you over $30 alone in Durango.

To get a cheeseburger at a place that sells WT, you're looking at another $18-$20.
I believe it. I can't believe how expensive burgers are at some places these days.
Okole maluna!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Badfellow wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:55 pm

I think this sounds cheap as hell. I agree with Naus, I would have thought the drinks alone would be at least thirty bucks.

So I went to the menu of a local chain called Hans im Glück for comparison. The burgers run 10.90€ which is actually pretty cheap because they have gourmet style of toppings, and a side order of fries are 4.90€. Cocktails run about 9.60€. So that's already over 25 bucks if you drink just one cocktail. Now I remember why I don't go out to drink.
Okole maluna!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

A cheeseburger in Minneapolis is now running in the direction of +$20 post pandemic. Before it was more in the $10-15 range unless you went somewhere needlessly fancy. Doesn’t make much sense as the hamburger is supposed to be an affordable, relatively nutritious item created for the average joe and jane.

That’s one of the reasons I moved my ass out to the country. You can still find good deals on cheeseburgers, tractors and booze.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

I read an article today that nobody (primarily young families with children ) is going to the Disney theme parks this summer because it's too expensive.

At the end of the day, what is all this inflation going to get anyone? So now attendance is down at the Disney parks so they obviously are suffering a loss, as does families who want to go but can't.

And then as BF mentioned, burgers are meant to be an affordable means for the average Joe but 20 bucks for a burger in Minn? That's crazy! How much do they cost in tourist traps like Hawaii?! It wouldn't even be worth the price. I guess someday I won't eat them any more because I won't spend 20+ effing dollars for a burger.
Okole maluna!

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

I should mention that the cheapest burger in town is only $3.50 (in between a slider and a real burger).

And you can get Hamm's 16oz there for $4. Behold.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

DrunkinEurope
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by DrunkinEurope »

Badfellow wrote:

To me, this sounds insanely cheap. Here in Greece, the 5 Wild Turkey would be about 50-60 bucks alone - and that's in a normal-priced bar. As for the burger, if it's coming on a plate with side servings (so, anywhere but a fast-food joint), it'd be another 12-18 bucks minimum. So, in Greece, the total tab would be three times as big.
In case anyone was wondering, this is one of the main reasons I don't go out anymore.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Depending on what bar around here you're likely to be at 12 to 20 bucks for the beer and burger. That's diveish to pub grub joint. Same range for the Turkey would be about 8 to 15 bucks per shot. 52 to 95 bucks for the whole deal. Now if you hit happy hours you can find better deals.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Patchez wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:25 pm
Same range for the Turkey would be about 8 to 15 bucks per shot. 52 to 95 bucks for the whole deal.
All I can say is…

HOLY FUCK, THAT’S EXPENSIVE!!!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Yes it is. Seems the bar folks are taking full advantage of the whole bourbon/booze boom and making bank. Good for them but bad for us. Just means more drinking at home from me.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

Badfellow wrote:

late reply but it varies so much here...you could go into a spoons (weatherspoons is a dirt cheap pub chain in the uk) and get the eqivalent for prolly £20-£25 so pretty similar.......you could also go to a really good spot and pay like £20 just for the burger and beer and another £5-£8 each for the bourbons...that'd leave you at like £50-£60. i tend to go somewhere inbetween just cause the spoons food wouldn't be amazing.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

Badfellow wrote:

5 wild turkeys would be close to 50 dollars here. Like 10 dollars a shot, I'm sure. The Bacon Cheeseburger and fries would be like 12. And the Coors would be like 3 dollars, maybe 4.

I live in D.C., and yeah... 30 dollars for that is cheap.
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'