Doing the Absinthe thing

Remember what happened last night? Good. Now tell the world.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

bloaargh
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Doing the Absinthe thing

Post by bloaargh »

Yeah, zin and I were out and about yesterday.
We started off easy with some asian beer and then moved on to dry martinis, toasting with the bartender who bragged about the drinking skills he used to have before his body collapsed from the booze.

From there, we moved on to a Hotel bar. In general, I'm not very fond of Hotel bars, especially not the one in the Hilton here in Malmö but it was on the way home, so we thought "why not".

But it turned out good, to my suprise. The bartender was very competent and they also had a bottle of absinthe which seemed to be the real thing (it was from the Czech Republic, murky green, very strong but very drinkable). The strange part was the bizarre absinthe glass that looked like a pipe, and sort of worked like a pipe for liquids.

However, he also had a sugar spoon so I went for the "classic" ritual with fire and water instead.

So we sat there, zin, me and the bartender, discussing the dos and dont's of Mint Juleps, the origins of absinthe and I got a very nice buzz going. It might have been psychosomatic but I felt strangely euphoric, not the just the standard drunkenness. I am now determined to get hold of a bottle of my own to further explore this drink.

I finished the night with some drunken phonecalls and then went to bed. I've never had so vivid dreams before, it was wonderful. I dreamt about drinking absinthe. :-)

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Carls! Nice to see you again, my friend. Good to hear that you had a good evening. Dry martinis and absinthe, sounds like my kind of evening.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

bloaargh
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by bloaargh »

Palinka wrote:Carls! Nice to see you again, my friend. Good to hear that you had a good evening. Dry martinis and absinthe, sounds like my kind of evening.
It's good to be back! I don't think a lot of people in this forum would turn down an evening of Martinis and Absinthe. It feels like the very essence of good drinking to me. That, and beer of course.

bloaargh
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by bloaargh »

Ahh, it was the real thing. Finally!

"The Sebor Absinth sold on this site has a minimum of 9mg [thujone] per litre."

http://www.absinthebuyersguide.com/sebor.html

zin
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by zin »

We ordered a bottle of this at ye olde booze shoppe, bless this establishment. Since it's very very very expensive they don't keep it in stock so it'll show up next week. I'll just pack my things and drink 'till I drop on the floor at carls place I guess, it's excellent!

We were discussing if you should have any sort of chaser to go with the absinthe, what would be good to have on the side, just plain water or what? Any ideas?

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

zin wrote:...We were discussing if you should have any sort of chaser to go with the absinthe, what would be good to have on the side, just plain water or what? Any ideas?
I find beer works nicely.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

zin
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by zin »

Well alright, I guess we'll pick up a few budweisers then.
Yeah, I accually like 'em :)

Michbuggie
Tippler
Tippler

Damn laws

Post by Michbuggie »

:x I want to try absinth so bad but I don't have a credit card and thus cannot buy it over the internet. What's a booze hound to do? Anyone ever hear of a site that would take a money order or cash?

deadpuppiesandwhores
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: Damn laws

Post by deadpuppiesandwhores »

Michbuggie wrote::x I want to try absinth so bad but I don't have a credit card and thus cannot buy it over the internet. What's a booze hound to do? Anyone ever hear of a site that would take a money order or cash?
i just happened to have recieved a bottle just today. if you can make it to va. beach in the next 3 hours, i would be happy to share.
road to hell is paved with unbought stuffed dogs.
"I AM TOO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN."
colonel sanders

http://meetme.hotornot.com/r/?emid=K8ERHQN

i'm not saying i beat the devil, but i drank his beer for nothin'.... then i stole his song.

Michbuggie
Tippler
Tippler

Post by Michbuggie »

i just happened to have recieved a bottle just today. if you can make it to va. beach in the next 3 hours, i would be happy to share.

Thanks so much for the invite--would have loved that but I must regretfully decline.
Maybe when I go back to school in September (in baltimore).