Reading while drunk

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

nileblackflame
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Reading while drunk

Post by nileblackflame »

Does anyone find this quite enjoyable as I do? Reading Hard Times by Charles Dickens tonight. Much more enjoyable with a few drinks in the system.

JimLahey
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Re: Reading while drunk

Post by JimLahey »

I love doing it, but at the same time when I wake up next morning I go "I don't remember reading this chapter!".
Anyways, check out Hot Water Music by Charles Bukowski, read that recently. It's all short stories and it's awesome.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I'm terrible at it, I either lose interest because I have importanter things to think about, or I'm the same as Lahey, can't remember reading it
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Rooster »

If reading questionable on strippers is relevant to this conversation, then yes.

Username
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Username »

the combination of the first two avatars in this thread is awesome
whistling (whistling) whistling (whistling) dark (dark) dark (dark)

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

I'm rereading The Dark House. It is dark and gloomy. I only stop reading it in bed when Grumpy wakes up, because he hollers at me and turns out the light and then realizes that he can't see to get ready for work. Good thing it only takes me a day or so to read a book. Or the time I wait to see the doc. Next up: Shirley Jackson's stuff.
like tears in rain

Miklo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Miklo »

Not only reading, but writing as well. I have had to write several papers for my english class, a bottle of whiskey greatly helps the emotion flow onto the paper.
“And in my mind, this settles the issue. I would never drink cologne, and am therefore not an alcoholic.”
― Augusten Burroughs

Jiggers McCoy
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Jiggers McCoy »

I do like to read while drunk, but drinking while reading is tricky. Either I lose my place when I take a gulp, or I get so engrossed that when I remember to take a gulp, my beer's warm or all the ice has melted in my whiskey. #thirstworldproblems
• "Avoiding the darker alcohols like bourbon, red wine and dark rum might lessen [a hangover] and you might also dance better if you wear a tutu instead of trousers." - FKR

• "If you wanna 'talk about' my drinking, it better be about how fucking awesome it is." - Me

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Miklo wrote:Not only reading, but writing as well. I have had to write several papers for my english class, a bottle of whiskey greatly helps the emotion flow onto the paper.
I always find writing much easier when I'm well oiled. Only thing that got me through english essays at school
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

JohnnyAngst
Souse
Souse

Post by JohnnyAngst »

I'm with Miklo and Viking on this topic. I usually write my papers while I'm drunk. It seems to somehow help the creative part of the process. However, I have to go back to edit the paper while undrunk to make sure it's technically sound.
As far as reading while drunk, I've found that it depends on the author. I've been reading a lot of James Baldwin lately. His writing is brutally honest about human nature and, somehow, I find his insights easier to take when I've got a good buzz on.
"He saw the bottle quite clearly, it stood in the dark atop the dresser and it was just an extremely narrow, bright strip of light. That was the bottle, a bright strip of light in the darkness." - Heinrich Böll

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

YOU KNOW WHAT YOU SHOULD BE READING WHILE DRINKING? THE BOOK OF MOTHERFUCKING MORMON! STRAIGHTEN YOU SHIT RIGHT OUT!
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

tomodon
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by tomodon »

I always think that the reason my left eye is more fucked than my right eye is that the only way I could read as a teenager whilst drunk was to close my left eye. Read many a HST book with good old right eye.

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: in a hollow of a tree or in a wishing well but alway on my pot of gold really Penna USA

Post by beerkegbilly »

It's to hard to do to.For me to read as I'm drunk I got to close one put my finger under the words and read it as saying it out loud
not just books but signs to.