Trying to buy new furniture..

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar

Sammy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Trying to buy new furniture..

Post by Sammy » Mon May 20, 2019 7:52 pm

While drunk and cranking AC/DC through high end headphones is really hard. Just saying.

scream ale
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: Trying to buy new furniture..

Post by scream ale » Tue May 21, 2019 5:24 am

I would've thought doing most things with a powerful buzz on accompanied by AC/DC at high volumes would be easier than doing most things with no buzz and no AC/DC. The problem may be the headphones. What you need is one of those mammoth old school boom boxes. That way the rest of the world can enjoy the things you are enjoying.

Sammy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Sammy » Tue May 21, 2019 4:49 pm

I did manage to order 2 custom made cedar Adirondack chairs today WITH cup holders for my front porch, so I am getting there. And I spent about $800 on landscaping, with more to come, but the hacienda is looking nice. I also discovered carpenter bees drilling into my roof line, so now pest control will be here tomorrow.

Ah, home ownership!

oettinger
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by oettinger » Fri May 24, 2019 11:24 am

Sammy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:49 pm
I also discovered carpenter bees drilling into my roof line, so now pest control will be here tomorrow.

Ah, home ownership!
I just smoke a LOT, that helps
I do not remember posting that ^^^

Sammy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Sammy » Fri May 24, 2019 2:24 pm

oettinger wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:24 am
Sammy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:49 pm
I also discovered carpenter bees drilling into my roof line, so now pest control will be here tomorrow.

Ah, home ownership!
I just smoke a LOT, that helps
If you tend to do all of your smoking while standing on a ladder next to the bee holes, then maybe that would help. But I don't smoke and my knees are shot, so no ladder climbing for me. For me, home ownership means "How much money do you have?"

Rye and Coke
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke » Fri May 24, 2019 2:32 pm

Sammy wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:24 pm

If you tend to do all of your smoking while standing on a ladder next to the bee holes, then maybe that would help. But I don't smoke and my knees are shot, so no ladder climbing for me. For me, home ownership means "How much money do you have?"
Our basement flooded some time ago and we've had people coming in and out offering every new idea and concept under the sun on how to drain the walls and channel out the water. We finally found someone and I have to tell you, I haven't felt this helpless in awhile.

When you don't know how to do something -- and need help -- you're at the mercy of the morals and ethics of all those that do.

The first guy almost had us paying him for yeeeeeaars, thank god I thought to look for someone better. The guy we went with basically told us the first guy was taking us for a ride.
"I feel sorry for people who don’t drink or do drugs. Because someday they’re going to be in a hospital bed, dying, and they won’t know why." - Redd Foxx

Sammy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Sammy » Fri May 24, 2019 4:20 pm

Rye and Coke wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:32 pm
Sammy wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:24 pm

Our basement flooded some time ago and we've had people coming in and out offering every new idea and concept under the sun on how to drain the walls and channel out the water. We finally found someone and I have to tell you, I haven't felt this helpless in awhile.

When you don't know how to do something -- and need help -- you're at the mercy of the morals and ethics of all those that do.

The first guy almost had us paying him for yeeeeeaars, thank god I thought to look for someone better. The guy we went with basically told us the first guy was taking us for a ride.
Man, ain't that the truth. I just had 2 chimneys rebuilt and I had 4 quotes to do the work. One Mason came recommended by a friend and he did both chimneys for $2600. Upon starting the job, he determined that one chimney needed extra work and that would cost me an extra $250. However, since I agreed to pay him in cash, he waived the extra $250 charge. They did an awesome job and we are talking about a partial rebuild on one chimney, and a new flu and cap on the second, not just repointing.

The other assholes that quoted me? Well, one was $2600 but they just wanted to repoint the main chimney, not rebuild it. The other two, both Russians, wanted $4500 and $5800 to do the exact same work I got done for $2600. I guess they thought their cute Russian accents warranted the extra $2K-$3K they wanted for the same work.

You have to be REAL careful when it comes to hiring people to work on your house or you WILL get ripped off!