Bourbon Bacon Brisket

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Bourbon Bacon Brisket

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Stopped in to Arby's for lunch today. They had a sign touting a special Bourbon Bacon Brisket sandwich which piqued my curiosity, so I go in and wait in line during the lunch rush. Finally I get up to the cashier and order one of these special sandwiches, then I innocently asked "What kind of bourbon do they use for the Bourbon Bacon Brisket?" The cashier laughs and says "I don't know". I looked her in the eye and said "This isn't a joke, I really want to know." She looks back at me and says "It's the kind that cooks away".
Well, this didn't sit right with me, and let it be know that in my younger years this kind of flippant remark would have set me off on a verbal tirade questioning the heritage of the employees and possibly ending with a threat to set the place on fire and build a car wash over the remains. But in my advanced age I try to take the more peaceful route and through clenched teeth asked to speak to the manager. She starts with "Sir, I..." but she could quickly tell that I was not moving, and she would not be able to take another order until I got satisfaction. With an audible sigh she goes to get the manager.
After a moment a young man with a clean shirt, greasy tie, and a name tag that said MANAGER, which also informed me that his name is Dale, greets me courteously and asks "How can I help you". I said "Well, Dale, I just need to know what brand of bourbon is used in this" as I pointed to a picture of said sandwich. Dale goes on to explain that there is actually no bourbon in the sandwich as any amount of bourbon is lost in the baking process.
This was not the answer I was looking for so I explained to Dale that some of us take our bourbon seriously, after that I don't remember what I said, I just kept talking, something about my body is a temple and I need to know what I am putting into it, just a load of shite to hold up the lunch rush that much longer. I ended my speech informing him that "I have a fresh bottle of bourbon at home, I won't tell you the brand, but I will finish it tonight and if I do not get the information I need I may be inclined to get on my riding mower (the Gas Powered Beast of Prey) once the bottle is done, drive there, and toss the empty bottle through the front window of your establishment". Dale looks me int he face and he could tell I was serious. "Hang on a minute" he says and goes around the corner while getting his phone. I could hear him talking on the phone, I honestly thought he was calling the police which was fine because I was either getting my information or they were dragging me out screaming during the lunch rush.
Dale comes back, "I just talked to corporate and they informed me that the bourbon used is Old Crow".
I found this acceptable so I said thank you, paid for my sandwich, oh and I have a coupon for free onion rings, which held up the line even longer, but at this point I was getting stink eyed from employees and a lobby of hungry people on their lunch break, so I felt pretty good about the whole ordeal. Soon enough my order was done and I grabbed my bag of Bourbon brisket and onion rings, took exactly one thousand napkins and a bottle of horsey sauce, and went on my merry way.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Bourbon Bacon Brisket

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

I know, TL;DR, but just take way this - These days the word bourbon is being bandied about in the food and restaurant world and I think these fucks need called out on it.

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:11 pm
I know, TL;DR, but just take way this - These days the word bourbon is being bandied about in the food and restaurant world and I think these fucks need called out on it.
What do you mean by TLDR? I thought this was hilarious! All the way through i was screaming "That's right, don't take any guff from these swine!"
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:01 pm
Soon enough my order was done and I grabbed my bag of Bourbon brisket and onion rings, took exactly one thousand napkins and a bottle of horsey sauce, and went on my merry way.
Took a bite, spat it out. "This isn`t old crow!" Drove back...
Drink!

ThirstyBirdy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by ThirstyBirdy »

How wuld the gal working the counter know such frivolous requests....

Gal making minimum wage, cheating on 10 bfs, with the weasel manager non the less,and then you have the nerve to make off with all the napkins!

You beautiful bastard!
Something's got to be done. We can't go on like this.
I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze!- Withnail

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

ThirstyBirdy wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:39 pm

Gal making minimum wage, cheating on 10 bfs, with the weasel manager non the less,and then you have the nerve to make off with all the napkins!

You beautiful bastard!
Quick reminder, this is Modern Drunkard and not "boring sexlife"
Drink!

ThirstyBirdy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by ThirstyBirdy »

oettinger wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:10 pm
ThirstyBirdy wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:39 pm

You beautiful bastard!
Quick reminder, this is Modern Drunkard and not "boring sexlife"

Hey thanks for welcome ealier. I'll try to get acquainted more with the forum it seems

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

I do side with TB more than TD on this one. Don't beat up the staff at the local.

Fuck with the ad assholes and upper brass directly through FB and Insta. The immediate feedback to outrage is amazing. Twitter should also be used as a weapon.

This has fallen on deaf ears in the past. Face it. We lost the TJD battle. The old bulletin board forums were great but limited in scope. The movement never gained enough traction. Not the fault of the boards, or the movement. The fault lies with the tech of the time.

Fast forward to a mere ten years later, and Makers Mark tries the same watering down of our beloved hooch. I and many others shouted from our phones, into direct marketing's ears, one simple word. Bullshit. It was blowing up on the Instagram, Twitter and FB Maker's Mark feed like their world had been set aflame. They backpedaled like a motherfucker. Only a limited number of lower proof cases ever made it to distro. I have one of those bottles. Never to be opened until my death. A fucking trophy of the booze wars.

So yes Thirsty Drunk, hold the advertising twats to account, but don't take it out on the local. Would you accuse them of watering down JD when it was lowered in proof? No you would not. I read all the way through your tirade and I think that jist of it was just that. Take it up with management.

Light Arby's, and every other chain that is jumping on the Bourbon Bandwagon, feeds with demands about were the bourbon comes from. Is it barrel strength? Is it that sourced shit out of Indiana? Is it TJD? We as informed boozehounds and consumers need to know!
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

I worked at Arby's as a teen, for a couple years. Some of that time the only meals i got were from Arbys, and when i lived in my car the manager let me sleep in th e lobby on cold nights if I closed and opened. I did my time, and let me say you are right, let the blame be on the marketing people for not letting out the information to their representatives.
"What brand of bourbon do they use in the Bourbon Bacon thing"
"Old Crow sir, it makes a great marinade and sauce, care to try one?"
"Wow, that sounds good, and I have a coupon for free onion rings if I buy a Bourbon Bacon Brisket burger. Here is my coupon and I have exact change."
"Thank you sir, enjoy your Bourbon Bacon Brisket sandwich."

that is how the entire transaction should have went.

their fault, don't try to put this shit on me.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:01 am
I worked at Arby's as a teen, for a couple years. Some of that time the only meals i got were from Arbys, and when i lived in my car the manager let me sleep in th e lobby on cold nights if I closed and opened. I did my time, and let me say you are right, let the blame be on the marketing people for not letting out the information to their representatives.
"What brand of bourbon do they use in the Bourbon Bacon thing"
"Old Crow sir, it makes a great marinade and sauce, care to try one?"
"Wow, that sounds good, and I have a coupon for free onion rings if I buy a Bourbon Bacon Brisket burger. Here is my coupon and I have exact change."
"Thank you sir, enjoy your Bourbon Bacon Brisket sandwich."

that is how the entire transaction should have went.

their fault, don't try to put this shit on me.
First of all I wasn't trying to "put this shit on you".

Second, I was as you had earlier in your comment, trying to point the ire you had voiced at the folks truly responsible.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

And when you're out dining with yer mom tomorrow at Applebees or TGIFryday , look a the menu, there will be some vague "BBQ bourbon burger" or some shit. "Bourbon baked shrimp" I don't know what they got I don't go there, but I bet they got some kind of bourbon dish, and if you see that shit, axe questions.
I bet they make some kind of joke. "It won't get you drunk hahahah"
Pathetic

ThirstyBirdy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by ThirstyBirdy »

TD, i think simply on these issues.

While i love the TJD coments and think it was gold from um the other guy...

Now these locals are getting mouthy. She had that attitude problem yes.. Mouthy yes... Think she gave a fk probably not neither did the pompous manager i bet.

It's a shame what's happened to TJD, glad there was at least a good fight....

ThirstyBirdy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by ThirstyBirdy »

And ive officially don't know what the fuck I'm talking about... Success!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

ThirstyBirdy wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:28 am
And ive officially don't know what the fuck I'm talking about... Success!
Nothing wrong with that! Cheers!
Okole maluna!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:
Exactly. Enough with the bourbon and BBQ craze. It's all shit. It's just some marketing ploy to make bored Midwestern housewives think Applebee's "bourbon glazed" chicken or beef is a nice meal out. The "cloyingly sweet, sugar, and syrup encrusted crap with pretend alcohol flavoring" just doesn't have quite the same appeal as "Bourbon Street Steak".
ThirstyDrunk wrote:
I grabbed my bag of Bourbon brisket and onion rings, took exactly one thousand napkins and a bottle of horsey sauce, and went on my merry way.
Sounds like a very fine evening indeed. Super jealous of your absconded bottle of Horsey sauce. I always appreciated the fact that Arby's offered an array of sauces. But sometimes when I'd go in there, there wouldn't be any napkins. hmmm....
Okole maluna!