CBS (Christmas Booze Swap '05)

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

Secret Santa or let it all hang out...

I wanna know who's sending me booze
19%
Secret Santa with no expiration date on booze arriving
4%
Secret Santa with a deadline. Once the deadline has passed the sender's ID will be revealed to the recipient
62%
Personally, I couldn't care less because I'm not participating
15%

Total votes: 26

Lushlife
Banned From the Pub
Banned From the Pub

Post by Lushlife »

You know, I think most anybody would be understanding of a delay if it were due to unavoidable circumstances and they were made aware of the delay and why. It's just people that totally blow it off that's unacceptable. If there is a delay one can even create an separate identity here and notify the recipient of the delay through that and still retain the element of "secrecy" (or ask somebody else to relay the message).

steved2112
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by steved2112 »

phryne wrote:
Lushlife wrote:
Tipsy McStagger wrote: You forgot Ramadan
"Yule"? For the pagans?
Hey, give me a break, I remembered Festivus. Is anyone else putting up a festivus pole this year?
I saw that pole, but I didn't vote.
*rimshot*
I feel like I;' Typing down hill.
-F. Sott Blitzedgerald

G_W
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by G_W »

Hey, if you know ahead of time, get your shit in a pile...there is no "unavoidable" circumstance if you plan ahead...if you don't think you can be 100% sure to get it by Christmas, then don't join in.

And I think names should be PUBLICLIY announced if someone blows it off.
steved wrote:Proof is just information.
"We're all in a freak show. It's called life. Buy a ticket and enjoy the ride." - Foamy the Squirrel

greygoose
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by greygoose »

phryne wrote:
Lushlife wrote:
Tipsy McStagger wrote: You forgot Ramadan
"Yule"? For the pagans?
Hey, give me a break, I remembered Festivus. Is anyone else putting up a festivus pole this year?
I put one up every morning but you sleep too hard.

Thank you! I'll be here all week!
why is my moral compass always pointed east? that's the direction of the nearest liquor store.

greygoose
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by greygoose »

Bump. Dammit.
why is my moral compass always pointed east? that's the direction of the nearest liquor store.

Drunk Injun
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Drunk Injun »

Lushlife wrote:
Tipsy McStagger wrote:
phryne wrote:By the way, out of respect for alternative religions (Chanukah, Kwanzaa, Festivus, etc.) I think the exchange should be renamed as the HOLIDAY booze exchange. Fuckin' ethnocentrist.

:D
You forgot Ramadan
"Yule"? For the pagans?
Its Jule, and we are Thorists :lol:

Sign me up. I was on the wagon by bayonet point last year.
“Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.â€

daphne
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: Washington. Home of JZ Knight and other nuts, which is why we drink here.

Post by daphne »

I would also like to do this. Shall I send my address to you?

And, I think it would be nice to get the booze with a tag from the sender. I am kind of big on thank you notes. What better gift to send a thank you note for than booze?
RIP Frederick and my beloved GatorX
You deserve all the puffery you can get
daph and grip say "bourbony goodness!"
http://daphneszoo.com/

Lushlife
Banned From the Pub
Banned From the Pub

Post by Lushlife »

daphne wrote:I would also like to do this. Shall I send my address to you?

And, I think it would be nice to get the booze with a tag from the sender. I am kind of big on thank you notes. What better gift to send a thank you note for than booze?
I think that last year Daphne most everybody did reveal their identity with their gift because there were a number of public "thank yous" on the forum directed toward specific individuals. Return addresses can be rather revealing as well (unless the package is coming from Rochester ;) ). I'm wondering if the people who voted for wanting to know who their booze sender is realized that they were voting for knowing who the person was right from the outset, before the booze is ever even sent, as opposed to learning who they are at the time they receive the booze, which is kind of a given.

POGO
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by POGO »

Lushlife wrote:I'm wondering if the people who voted for wanting to know who their booze sender is realized that they were voting for knowing who the person was right from the outset, before the booze is ever even sent, as opposed to learning who they are at the time they receive the booze, which is kind of a given.
I'd like to know at the time of receiving, or find out later. I'd like to know who´s making me happy unless anonimity is specifically requested, in wich case it adds some joyful mistery.
"This case of hangover needs masturbation and a gin & tonic. " - Sweet Lou

mjm
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by mjm »

Secret Santas should be secret. Except for cases of deadbeatedry.

Hey, I made up a word!
"It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking: the arrival of a friend; one's present or future thirst; the excellence of the wine; or any other reason." -- Latin Proverb

anichka
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by anichka »

Valentine's Day should be the deadline, in my opinion.

I won't be participating, and I didn't last year, and that has no small part to do with about a half-dozen packages in my room that have been waiting to be shipped for several months. One of these days, they'll make it to my car and ride around NoVa for a while before making their way on to bigger and better places.

On second thought, make the deadline July 1, and I am in.
Wine in the mornin', and some breakfast at night.
Well, I'm beginning to see the light.

Drunk Injun

Post by Drunk Injun »

Anybody prevert does any deadbeater on my must be for warned.
“Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.â€

grippingthewheel
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by grippingthewheel »

I like to give booze and I like to get booze. Let me know where to send some sunshine.
"Please welcomce in all his diluted glory the man whose story writes itself not unlike mine who feveriously types awaiting his next sip before the whipping, anticiapation is making me want to strangle someone." ~whiskyprick

greygoose
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by greygoose »

grippingthewheel wrote:I like to give booze and I like to get booze. Let me know where to send some sunshine.
See the Announcement for instructions if you're interested.