Premium vodka is such a waste of money.

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

John Barleycorn
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Re: Premium vodka is such a waste of money.

Post by John Barleycorn »

Zippy wrote:Make no mistake, Vodka is about one thing and one thing only. It's about getting shitfaced. No use pretending otherwise or getting snobby, hell, it has not taste. It's basically unadorned grain neutral spirits. That said, the best underrated, relatively cheap brand is Luksuksova Polish potato vodka. At least it's clan and it's even better if you soak a few chili peppers in it. Zippy doesn't mind blowing money on really good booze but spending more than $20.00 for a 1.75ltr of Vodka? That's too dumb even for a pinhead like me!
Luksusowa is good shit. I also like Smirnoff silver and I used to drink R. Jellenik kosher vodka, which was good stuff for $12 a fifth.

Jozer
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Jozer »

Simple rule of thumb here;

If a spirit is exactly 40% alcohol, it's mass-market slop, and the producers can put whatever fancy label on it, and say it's brewed by naked monks at midnight, don't matter. All the best spirits have unusual strengths, like 43.6% or whatever, that's because they're made to a recipe. 40% means it's brewed to the market researchers spec'.

(In Britain, some cheap slop is also brewed to exactly 37.5%. Same thing. 40%/37.5% = mass-market slop)

Aloysius_of_Tahiti
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Aloysius_of_Tahiti »

I like me some Smirnoff in my OJ in the morning. Screwdrivers...a good way to start your day!

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

Jozer wrote:Simple rule of thumb here;

If a spirit is exactly 40% alcohol, it's mass-market slop, and the producers can put whatever fancy label on it, and say it's brewed by naked monks at midnight, don't matter. All the best spirits have unusual strengths, like 43.6% or whatever, that's because they're made to a recipe. 40% means it's brewed to the market researchers spec'.

(In Britain, some cheap slop is also brewed to exactly 37.5%. Same thing. 40%/37.5% = mass-market slop)
Not really. Firstly, liquor is not brewed, it's distilled and secondly liquor always comes out stronger than 40% after distillation, they simply add water to get it down to 40%. This is true with even nice whiskeys like WT101 (or 80, if that's all you can get). Booker's is a notable exception to this.

Lastly, I have yet to find Luksusowa but my local started carrying Monopolova and I've been drinking the hell out of that.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619