What "drink" do you consider to be a sissy drink?

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: What "drink" do you consider to be a sissy drink?

Post by peetie44 »

QUESTION: is it the contents/ingredients of the drink itself, or the location/presentation where it's consumed, that makes it a "sissy drink"?

Example 1) a couple of homeless guys swilling wine from a brown paper bag on a street corner doesn't sound "sissy", but two well-dressed individuals drinking the same basic beverage from stemware in a neighborhood bar is often construed as such.

Example 2) Humphrey Bogart and Frank Sinatra drinking martinis at the swank Polo Lounge of the Beverly Hills Hotel is considered manly, yet the average guy drinking a martini in, say, a workingman's pub, would definitely raise some eyebrows (and maybe some fists).

So is it more the type of drink or rather where it's being consumed (and by whom) that defines a particular alcoholic beverage as being for "sissies"?
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

Ptflea2 wrote:I don't know, sometimes I'll see a dude holding a Smirnoff Ice or a Mike's Hard Lemonade and think a little less of him. Is this wrong?
unless he's waiting for his girl to get out of the restroom, and he's got a bourbon in his other hand, no.
5-Star wrote:"... and mines a babycham"
- Vivian Bastard
that's the one!
Slim wrote: Exceptions made if surrounded by a fair amount of sand, bamboo, and/or dry grass.
good point, and peetie elaborates on this.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

One for the Frog
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by One for the Frog »

Baileys, Jagermeister, and anything that comes with a sweet cherry in it.

One for the Frog

Oh yes. Half beer. That's the sissiest one.

Resident Asshole

Post by Resident Asshole »

peetie44 wrote:QUESTION: is it the contents/ingredients of the drink itself, or the location/presentation where it's consumed, that makes it a "sissy drink"?

Example 1) a couple of homeless guys swilling wine from a brown paper bag on a street corner doesn't sound "sissy", but two well-dressed individuals drinking the same basic beverage from stemware in a neighborhood bar is often construed as such.

Example 2) Humphrey Bogart and Frank Sinatra drinking martinis at the swank Polo Lounge of the Beverly Hills Hotel is considered manly, yet the average guy drinking a martini in, say, a workingman's pub, would definitely raise some eyebrows (and maybe some fists).

So is it more the type of drink or rather where it's being consumed (and by whom) that defines a particular alcoholic beverage as being for "sissies"?
Bums are all sissies.

Drinking a martini is not sissy. Having the balls to do it in a dive bar is not sissy, but it might be dumb, as you will not become good friends with the bartender (and likely not other patrons either).
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

One for the Frog wrote:Jagermeister.
despite the low proof, not sure i agree with this one.
One for the Frog wrote:anything that comes with a sweet cherry in it.
manhattan's a sissy drink? damn. oh, well, slap my ass and call me shirley, then.
Stupid should hurt.

--ThirstyDrunk

One for the Frog

Wingman wrote:
It's a sweet drink they call "bitter". It just doesn't make sense.
Wingman wrote:
manhattan's a sissy drink? damn. oh, well, slap my ass and call me shirley, then.
Ach, well. Now you have a point. However I never ask for the cherry.

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

One for the Frog wrote:
Wingman wrote:
It's a sweet drink they call "bitter". It just doesn't make sense.
Wingman wrote:
Ach, well. Now you have a point. However I never ask for the cherry.
don't think i'd call jager sweet, but that's a taste issue i guess, and everyone has their own. it's definitely overhyped and often drunk by amateurs, which may not make it sissy, but certainly suspect.

yeah, if there's a drop or two of cherry juice instead of a cherry in my manhattan, i don't get bent out of shape about it.
Stupid should hurt.

--ThirstyDrunk

greygoose
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by greygoose »

Wingman wrote:
despite the low proof, not sure i agree with this one..
Agreed. I've never drank Jagermeister (no, not Jagerbombs - that is sissy - drink your shit straight) and not gotten fucked up. Something in the chemical composition I suspect.
why is my moral compass always pointed east? that's the direction of the nearest liquor store.

hoverdog
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by hoverdog »

Resident Asshole wrote: Bums are all sissies.
Oh yes the homeless war vet with a bottle of wine and a nasty case of PTSD snarling at you from some alley is definitely a sissy. Bukowski, another sissy.
The last thing that anyone should ever do is feel ashamed of blacking out. You were trying to get drunk last night and, goddamnit, mission accomplished.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Resident Asshole wrote:
Bums are all sissies.

Drinking a martini is not sissy. Having the balls to do it in a dive bar is not sissy, but it might be dumb, as you will not become good friends with the bartender (and likely not other patrons either).
Ahh, another angle: "sissy" being in the eye of the beholder.

Interesting...
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

hoverdog wrote:
Oh yes the homeless war vet with a bottle of wine and a nasty case of PTSD snarling at you from some alley is definitely a sissy. Bukowski, another sissy.
yeah, i don't even like camping out if i can help it. wait, did i just out myself....?
Stupid should hurt.

--ThirstyDrunk

Two Hearted
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Two Hearted »

Wingman wrote:
yeah, i don't even like camping out if i can help it. wait, did i just out myself....?
Sissy.
The cabin sits shut-down, cold-frozen and empty, dead mice in the traps, waiting for me to drink alone there in the dark.
--Smatter

Resident Asshole

Post by Resident Asshole »

hoverdog wrote:
Please dude, it was a joke. And you're a sissy.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Curb Feeler
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: Just below concrete on the Rockwell hardness scale.

Post by Curb Feeler »

It's a question of motivation I suppose. A bum drinks the cheapest shit he can find because, well, he's a bum, and picking up aluminum cans is probably a pain in his ass. Therefore, his choice of beverage is drivin solely by economics and economics, as far as I know, cannot be "manly or sissy".

And while drinking wine in a bar, regardless of attire, may not be common, I don't know that it should be considered a "sissy" practice. Pompous, irritating and completely inappropriate, maybe, but not sissy.

Unless ofcourse it a wine cooler or wine spritzer, in which case you should beat the fucker into submission and string him up outside the bar as a warning to the others.
Cell phones: The perfect way to keep in touch with distant friends whilst pissing off the ones sitting right next to you.