purchased some milk thistle yesterday...

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

sloweducation
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Re: purchased some milk thistle yesterday...

Post by sloweducation »

I have been taking it for years. My liver enzymes are always fine but I normally take a day or two off from drinking before getting blood work done. Drinking the night before, as much as we do, can have a drastic effect on enzyme levels. After not drinking for a while they usually return to normal. For every study that says milk thistle doesn't work there is a study that says it does. Whatever, people have used it forever and I need the peace of mind.

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

sloweducation wrote:Whatever, people have used it forever and I need the peace of mind.
And that comes back to the beginning of the thread. Even if something doesn't really help you, but you think it does and your body ends up better off for it, then it is worth it in your particular case.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

NYDingbat
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by NYDingbat »

Resident Asshole wrote:
sloweducation wrote:Whatever, people have used it forever and I need the peace of mind.
And that comes back to the beginning of the thread. Even if something doesn't really help you, but you think it does and your body ends up better off for it, then it is worth it in your particular case.
There are plenty of studies that say it helps, at worst there are those that say it's got no effect. Typically, it does no harm - but check with your friendly neighborhood doc and apothecary before ingesting.

And RA, you are quite correct - if you believe it works, it often does - sometimes for actual quantifiable reasons. Stress over your health, in addition to the daily stressors one experiences, releases adrenaline and cortisol. While helpful in an immediately stressful situation, such as you having to leap over the bar to stop two pugilists from turning your friendly neighborhood pub into the Road House, these two Superman hormones can wreak havoc on you if they are constantly being released into your plumbing.

Ergo, take the bloody milk thistle if it makes you happy - so long as you've checked with the aforementioned folks directly involved with treating you and pestle and mortaring your meds so as to ensure it doesn't mess with any pharmaceuticals you're currently ingesting - as you will believe it's helping and will be reducing your stress.

And now, I shall wash down a 1g capsule of milk thistle with a glass of pinot grigio! Slainte and L'Chaim!
"I don't start the day. I continue the night."
- mistah willies

"What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?"
- W.C. Fields

l...
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by l... »

NYDingbat wrote:
Resident Asshole wrote:
There are plenty of studies that say it helps, at worst there are those that say it's got no effect. Typically, it does no harm - but check with your friendly neighborhood doc and apothecary before ingesting.

And RA, you are quite correct - if you believe it works, it often does - sometimes for actual quantifiable reasons. Stress over your health, in addition to the daily stressors one experiences, releases adrenaline and cortisol. While helpful in an immediately stressful situation, such as you having to leap over the bar to stop two pugilists from turning your friendly neighborhood pub into the Road House, these two Superman hormones can wreak havoc on you if they are constantly being released into your plumbing.

Ergo, take the bloody milk thistle if it makes you happy - so long as you've checked with the aforementioned folks directly involved with treating you and pestle and mortaring your meds so as to ensure it doesn't mess with any pharmaceuticals you're currently ingesting - as you will believe it's helping and will be reducing your stress.

And now, I shall wash down a 1g capsule of milk thistle with a glass of pinot grigio! Slainte and L'Chaim!
is this a post in iambic pentameter? or should I spell it pentametre..? ;) and thanks. I going to drink my milk thistle right now, 2-25 in the morning. with lord vod AK. ;) (and p.s. my doctor is the intertrons. I haven't had health insurance in at least 15 years. ;))
That's what I call Drunkard justice. I hate prisses like that. They're mincing their way through life when they should be marching. ~fkr.

I wish i could find me a woman who drinks!~ruiner..on lack of women drinkers.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

I failed on the not drinking bit, so I can expect talk of liver enzymes from my doctor on Monday. Oh well. He is not the boss of me. So there!
like tears in rain

treetop

Post by treetop »

hah! after four months of waiting and rescheduling to see the super duper gastroenterologist, he says to me "i don't even know why you're here". i gotta do one more blood panel and i'm free and clear. suck it, hemochromatosis and ferratinitis, i'm stronger than both of you.
oh yeah.
it's all good in the woods, nobody hears me when i scream.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Recap: hey, guess what? I came out cleaner than a 'skeeter's peter. And I was a bad girl, and did not abstain from the mass quantities of bourbon and such. So, I gotta figger, it's a crap shoot, any way you throw it.
like tears in rain

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Alopurinol makes my entire body shed its epidermis, Uloric costs more than a fucking car payment. I am not going to just quit drinking.
Doc says deal with it then fuck you

Eat your fuckin thistle
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought