Trivia Night at The Pub

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: Trivia Night at The Pub

Post by Lush City »

Dear Booze wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:40 am
Hint #2

One of the liquors was invented in The late 18th century. The other began production in 1666.
You are obviously talking about gin. I may be wrong because I don't even know the original trivia question because I'm so intoxicated. Don't see myself scrolling to the top of this thread to read it. Party on!
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Dear Booze wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:51 pm
This is a two parter. You must correctly answer both questions in order to take the torch.

First, this liquor was banned for a period. The reason most people belive was responsible for this ban is not correct. The real reason was that some unscrupulous producers of tbe liquor were adding copper sulphate to the recipe, which led to the poisoning of many people. What is the liquor?

Second, this liquor is protected under the 1958 Lisbon Accord. It is said to have been created by a lightning strike. Although there are less than 40 distilleries that produce it, there are over 1,000 brands. What is the liquor?
Copper.... Anything involving copper turns green. But I used to douse wood with copper sulfate juice to stave off termites back in the day before gubment regulations. So, Something green. Midori?

Lightning strike. Hmmm. When lightning strikes, do static shocks become scabs?

Is that from where the term white lightning originates?

Final answers: Absinthe and moonshine. *hiccup*

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Dear Booze »

Lush City wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:46 pm
Dear Booze wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:40 am
Hint #2

One of the liquors was invented in The late 18th century. The other began production in 1666.
You are obviously talking about gin. I may be wrong because I don't even know the original trivia question because I'm so intoxicated. Don't see myself scrolling to the top of this thread to read it. Party on!
Well Senior City, you get to party on without a correct answer. Sorry.
DRINK!

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

mistah willies wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:57 am
Dear Booze wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:51 pm
This is a two parter. You must correctly answer both questions in order to take the torch.

First, this liquor was banned for a period. The reason most people belive was responsible for this ban is not correct. The real reason was that some unscrupulous producers of tbe liquor were adding copper sulphate to the recipe, which led to the poisoning of many people. What is the liquor?

Second, this liquor is protected under the 1958 Lisbon Accord. It is said to have been created by a lightning strike. Although there are less than 40 distilleries that produce it, there are over 1,000 brands. What is the liquor?
Copper.... Anything involving copper turns green. But I used to douse wood with copper sulfate juice to stave off termites back in the day before gubment regulations. So, Something green. Midori?

Lightning strike. Hmmm. When lightning strikes, do static shocks become scabs?

Is that from where the term white lightning originates?

Final answers: Absinthe and moonshine. *hiccup*
Mr W, I am impressed with your process of deduction. But you are incorrect. May I suggest that you join Lush City in partying on?
DRINK!

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Hint #3

One of the liquors is green.

The other is clear. However, the clear liquor is sold as clear, somewhat golden brown, and golden brown. it achieves these brown colors by the length of time it is rested, or stored, in wooden barrels before bottling. It is also worth mentioning that it is not possible to age this liquor in a barrel for over (about) five years without it starting to break down and going bad.
DRINK!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Absinthe and tequila.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Patchez wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:19 pm
Absinthe and tequila.
YES! Finally! It is Absinthe and Tequila. Nice job Sir Patchez.

Now, please take this goddamed torch and run with it. It's starting to burn my hand.
DRINK!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

What was the name brand of the first sour mash whiskey, made in 1835?

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Dear Booze wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:01 pm
Patchez wrote:
Absinthe and tequila.

Now, please take this goddamed torch and run with it. It's starting to burn my hand.
So will you please elaborate and tell us all about this combo? This is obviously something we would like to know about but it appears you are all paranoid that someone might become as smart as you. What happens if someone drinks this concoction? It could be fatal! Don't just pass this on.
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Lush City wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:08 am
Dear Booze wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:01 pm
Patchez wrote:
Absinthe and tequila.

So will you please elaborate and tell us all about this combo? This is obviously something we would like to know about but it appears you are all paranoid that someone might become as smart as you. What happens if someone drinks this concoction? It could be fatal! Don't just pass this on.
Lush, my mustachioed friend, there is no implied "concoction" which includes the mixing of these two spirits. Please go back and read the original question. It was simply a two-part quiz; the winner waa reqired to correctly answer two questions. The only things they have in common (as far as I know) is the following:

They are both liquor
They are both generally sold in bottles
We can drink both of them
They are liquid
They both have an interesting history
You have to be 21 to purchase them in the U.S.
They are both regulated by the federal ATF and state ABC
I really like both of them
Neither one waa invented or discovered in the U.S.
They will both make us drunk if we drink enough

Other than that, not sure what you are getting at. But just to make sure, here is a brief history of both...

Absinthe was first created in 1792 by Pierre Ordinaire, a French doctor living in Switzerland. His intention was to deliver the extract of the wormwood plant -- which had long been known to have powerful healing effects -- in a handy form.

Commercial absinthe production began in 1797. By about 1850, it had caught on as the favourite drink of the French aristocracy. Soon In the popularity of absinthe skyrocketed as the bohemian crowd embraced the "Green Fairy". Many famous poets, writers and artists of the day routinely reached for a glass in search of inspiration.

By the 1870's, the absinthe craze was felt at all levels of the French society; just about everyone was drinking it. Days started with a glass of absinthe and ended with la the late-afternoon "green hour" when one or more glasses were drunk as an aperitif before supper.

By the beginning of the 20th century, American manufacturers were finding it difficult to find wormwood so they started flavoring gin and mixing in some copper sulphate to give it a green color. That shit made some people really sick and even killed some folks. So the U.S. banned it. The popular belief is that the ban was due to the hallucinogenic properties of the wormwood. but that's not the truth. Now, just over 100 years later, we are finally seeing the ability to purchase Absinthe restored.

Tequila started several centuries ago, when indigenous people of Jalisco had to seek refuge in a cave as a result of a storm.

Lightning struck several agave plants, which burned for a few hours. After the storm passed, the people discovering the usefulness of the plant which had been considered useless before the storm.

That's all I got.
DRINK!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

You made that up
Drink!

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

It's all about distilling fermented agave leaves or better the heart of the whole plant once the leaves have been cut away. Plain and simple. Then how much do you want to invest in filtration? That's what make the primo labels. That's all for tequila talk for tonight, drunk buddies! See you next time when we really get fucked up!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Patchez wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:40 pm
Back to topic, I`ll have to pass on this one. No idea
Drink!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Patchez wrote:
Hmmmmmm... does the answer rhyme with medicine show?

Lush City wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:40 pm
It's all about distilling fermented agave leaves or better the heart of the whole plant once the leaves have been cut away. Plain and simple. Then how much do you want to invest in filtration? That's what make the primo labels...
Of course, let's not discount the terroir of the plant itself. Or the process and amount of time by which the product is aged. Or the fancy bottle and label. Or whether or not your name might be George Clooney, Paul Mitchell or El Chapo.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Badfellow wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:36 am
Patchez wrote:
Hmmmmmm... does the answer rhyme with medicine show?
Yes. Yes it does.