open bar wedding

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

temporary anonimity
Booze Head
Booze Head

open bar wedding

Post by temporary anonimity »

One of the wife's relatives, with whom I'm not that familiar. The good:
1. A never-ending supply of whatever you want.
2. I love the variety of beverages lined up before me during the meal: water, wine, a cocktail (been on gin and tonic kick lately), beer, coffee. A delectable selection and a can't-go-wrong decision every sip. That is the way to drink. If you're way experienced and can mix without sickness, a variety like that can get you a fine and long buzz.
3. The bride's shapely young friends.
4. The cheesy band and the cheesy music.
5. The wife having a good time and enjoying herself with her relatives.

The bad:
1. The unemployed bro-in-law bumming cigarettes.
2. Who the FUCK came up with the custom of closing the bar during dinner? After the amuse bouche and before the salad, and after the salad and before the entree, and after the entree and before the dessert, I need a cocktail. And the barman is just standing around the bar. Me: Gin and tonic and a beer, please. Him: Sorry, bar's closed during dinner. Me: aw c'mon, then can you just slip me a beer (since their sitting right there on ice, and I'd tipped the guy 5 on first arriving). Him: no, sorry, we'll open again at 8. Me: well can I just grab myself one for now? Him: no, sorry. Me: Hrrrummph.
Well good thing they put out a white and a red on the dinner table, during dinner. I hereby apologize to all my table-mates for hoarding the red.
3. The costumes--suit and tie on a brilliant summer night gets constrictive. As in a previous post, less clothing during drunking is better.
4. The slide show of the bride and groom's baby pics, pics growing up, pics together on dates...enough already.

Congrats to the new happy couple. I'll drink to that.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

What the fuck???
They closed the bar???
What kind of monsters are they???
Closing the bar...That's inhumane...
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

temporary anonimity
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by temporary anonimity »

I'll tell you, Palinka, it was raising the hackles on my neck during that conversation I reported with the barman. Very inhumane, you're right. Fortunately, the affair was in a large downtown hotel, so there was a regular bar in the lobby, where one could buy a drink and bring it into the reception hall to tide over the dinner shut-down.

LuckyStrikes
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by LuckyStrikes »

Best wedding reception I've been to was at a bar. Brides father owned it. All the booze you could drink all night long. The bride ended up splitting her gown down the middle doing splits on the bar. By the time the food was served everyone was drunk. My date did a projectile puke while the food was being served at our table. No one at our table ate. We didn't really care, how many times can you drink all you want for free at a bar?
Voices tell me to buy the bigger bottle!

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Quite often, if you work there and the owner's away.

Max Vol
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Max Vol »

My neighbor just came back from a wedding and he said that the bar was open *during* the wedding and quests were watching the ceremony with drinks in hand!

Sounds like a great wedding!
"Whiskey and Beer are a man's worst enemies... but the man that runs away from his enemies is a coward!"

CrunchyPissCrystals
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by CrunchyPissCrystals »

Max Vol wrote:My neighbor just came back from a wedding and he said that the bar was open *during* the wedding and quests were watching the ceremony with drinks in hand!

Sounds like a great wedding!
I never thought I would utter these words. that sounds like a cool wedding.
"He has all of the virtues that I dislike, and none of the vices that I admire."
-Winston Churchill

UnkleLemmy
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by UnkleLemmy »

I've got a wedding coming up (not my own thank God, I'm saving myself for Lucky :wink: ). Its a Jewish wedding so I guess I'll be getting drunk on Mannischevwitz. Thats gonna be a fun hangover.
Savage: "Unkle Lemmy looks just like his avatar, and that is hawt. Also, he sends me a crate of bourbon every month and for this, when I die, he will inherit my castle in Savagonia, and my 72 virgins. (They are all good boys, and very hard workers.)"

Oggar
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Oggar »

One of my best friends just got married (see: "While I was out" in the drinking stories section if you want the details.) Anyway he had $1300 worth of open bar plus a couple kegs. This barely lasted until the end of the reception line. Since there were only about 50 drinkers at the wedding he (and many of the rest of us) thought he was being screwed. The dirty bastard bartender got caught draining the keg twice. We stopped buying drinks. So we all took to our cars. The groom's dad had a huge camera bag so he brought in 4 bottles of good whiskey which gave the rest of us a good idea...
I can't write like Papa, you know I just ain't able
But if he came in here tonight, I'd drink him under the table -Ronny Elliott

RIP Mayhem, as long as I have a heart you are in it.

joesixpack
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by joesixpack »

Max Vol, what a wondeful marraige of ceremony and libation. Just tell the "evils of drink" preachers about the water and the wine....

TARTANSPECIAL
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by TARTANSPECIAL »

Ahh, weddings
Lots of drink, hot and cold bridesmaids. plus a guaranteed fist fight at the end of the night :twisted:
beer, wine,voddie it don't get any better.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

TARTANSPECIAL wrote:Ahh, weddings
Lots of drink, hot and cold bridesmaids. plus a guaranteed fist fight at the end of the night :twisted:
Ahhh, the traditional Scottish wedding. Cannae be beat.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

LuckyStrikes
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by LuckyStrikes »

UnkleLemmy wrote:I've got a wedding coming up (not my own thank God, I'm saving myself for Lucky :wink: ). Its a Jewish wedding so I guess I'll be getting drunk on Mannischevwitz. Thats gonna be a fun hangover.
Ahh yes, Harold and Maude. Can we have the reception at the Old Toad? You're a good customer, they might give us a discount. I have to watch my pennies on my social security check. And try to find us a church that has an aisle big enough for me to maneuver my walker. And oh lord, the wedding night! You better bring a crowbar.
Voices tell me to buy the bigger bottle!

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Last wedding I went to, I acquired a girlfriend.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Lemmy and Lucky sittin' in a tree...

Are we all invited to the wedding?I just love other people's weddings, as I remember so little of my own.
like tears in rain