Hey Chelsea, I went to an AA meeting tonight!!

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

LuckyStrikes
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Hey Chelsea, I went to an AA meeting tonight!!

Post by LuckyStrikes »

I have been to them before. When relatives would visite me in Los Angeles, they always wanted to see celebrities. I would take them to the Log Cabin or Santa Monica. Today, the county I work in has a new Court Referral Officer. She is new to the state, not familiar with the area, and asked me if I would ride with her to an AA meeting to check on her clients. I went, and the stories I heard tonight were dooseys! We're talking alcohol and losing trailers! I got an article I want to email you about punks in New Orleans. And tomorrow I will write about the woes of southern alcoholics. I'm drinking gin tonight.
Voices tell me to buy the bigger bottle!

Generic Jug
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Generic Jug »

I was supposed to go to an AA meeting TWICE for a class (they were both taught by the same guy - Father Rafael) and both times, I got lazy and/or pussied out. I thought maybe they'd be able to sniff me out as the sloshed wolf in brainwashed sheep's clothing, and mob me, and maybe even eat me or something. But the joke would be on them, since all the meat on my bones has been marinating in cheap vodka for a long time.

Anyways, the people who actually did go had some great stories to share. The most colorful ones seem to be the themed ones - like gay AA, overweight AA, etc. Killing two neurotic birds with one pseudo-theraputic stone, I guess.
I've been here, I've been there, I've been everywhere...and your well still tastes like shoes. I'll take another.

LuckyStrikes
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by LuckyStrikes »

You live in Southern Cal. Try the one in Pacific Palisades. Wooo, I heard stories worthy of screen plays.

Generic Jug

Post by Generic Jug »

LuckyStrikes wrote:You live in Southern Cal. Try the one in Pacific Palisades. Wooo, I heard stories worthy of screen plays.
Pacific Palisades is really posh, right? Woo, that sounds like good fun! Drunk people with too much time AND money on their hands makes for high drama.
I've been here, I've been there, I've been everywhere...and your well still tastes like shoes. I'll take another.

LuckyStrikes
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by LuckyStrikes »

Generic Jug wrote:
LuckyStrikes wrote:You live in Southern Cal. Try the one in Pacific Palisades. Wooo, I heard stories worthy of screen plays.
Pacific Palisades is really posh, right? Woo, that sounds like good fun! Drunk people with too much time AND money on their hands makes for high drama.
Yep. And you know what happens when you mix too much money, and addictions. You get the 'Belushi's' that didn't overdose stories.

Chelsea40oz
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Chelsea40oz »

LuckyStrikes wrote:I have been to them before.
"Of all the AA chapters in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine." Gin is fitting, don't you think.
LuckyStrikes wrote:She is new to the state, not familiar with the area, and asked me if I would ride with her to an AA meeting to check on her clients. I went, and the stories I heard tonight were dooseys!
Fdoosy's a judas goat too!? :x What's this world coming to? Oh, the humanity!
LuckyStrikes wrote: I got an article I want to email you about punks in New Orleans.
Cynical as I am, I still always get a kick out of seeing how the media approaches such a topic (being a cardcarrying media of the media, and punk) and who knows, it'll be interesting to see what random kids they've selected to portray my hometown scene this time around... Yeah, bring it on! I'd love to see that!

...The Belushi that didn't OD? I used to date him. Last I heard, he's still not pushing up daisys. Not that ever I wanted him to.

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I lost my connection briefly... So the post sat here unposted.

You're out of your league, go back to your own village!

Jimmy&Guinney

Post by Jimmy&Guinney »

Generic Jug wrote:I was supposed to go to an AA meeting TWICE for a class (they were both taught by the same guy - Father Rafael) and both times, I got lazy and/or pussied out. I thought maybe they'd be able to sniff me out as the sloshed wolf in brainwashed sheep's clothing, and mob me, and maybe even eat me or something. But the joke would be on them, since all the meat on my bones has been marinating in cheap vodka for a long time.

Anyways, the people who actually did go had some great stories to share. The most colorful ones seem to be the themed ones - like gay AA, overweight AA, etc. Killing two neurotic birds with one pseudo-theraputic stone, I guess.
That's a good point. It also highlights the differnce between the two types of alcoholics. Some people abuse alcohol, and then get addicted, because that's how they are dealing with emotional and psychological problems. Those problems have nothing to do with alcohol, anything that allows you not to deal with reality will do. Alcohol just happens to be the easiest mechanism.

The other type of alcoholic, hopefully the type that dominates this board, are merely people who unapolagetically love booze, and all that goes with it. They like the smell of it. They like the diversity of ways to partake in it. They like the rituals associated with it. They like the way it makes them feel, and aren't concerned that our society still thinks if you partake in bodily pleasure there is something wrong with you. The want to be part of a great tradition of fabulous drunks who also happend to be some of the greatest poets, artists, writers, thinkers and drinkers who ever lived.

Some people get drunk to escape. Some people get drunk to escape, but then also have a very deep and profound journey as they are escaping, and I see these as two completely different alcoholics. I don't recomend AA for either type of drunk. I think AA is latent Protestant fundamentalism, and that isn't good for anyone. If you have emotional problems that you are covering up with alcohol abuse, then you should get help with those emotional problems. If your chemically addicted to alchol, then you have a medical problem, and you should get that problem addressed medically. But neither situation is going to be solved by sitting around a circle and having people declare how pitiful they are. I'd rather be a drunk then a "recovered alcoholic," giving up their soul to some imaginary higher power. Funny how that imaginary higher power always ends to be a very pentacostal Jesus. Dionysus could kick his ass.
And they say her flower is faded now
Hard weather and hard booze
But maybe that's just the price you pay
For the chains you refuse

Chelsea40oz
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Chelsea40oz »

Jimmy&Guinney I think I agree with you.

You're out of your league, go back to your own village!

Generic Jug

Post by Generic Jug »

Take your hardcore Days of Wine and Roses-type drunkard, and then take your hardcore AA member. See a difference? Besides, the booze, I mean. To me, the answer is no. Fanatical AA members (are there any that aren't fanatical?) have replaced booze with AA, or, depending on the person, religion. They've gone from one extreme to the other, and they're fools for not realizing that a.) that is completely unhealthy and b.) NOTHING'S CHANGED.

Oh, except for their sense of self-righteousness.

Jimmy&Guinney

Post by Jimmy&Guinney »

Generic Jug wrote:Take your hardcore Days of Wine and Roses-type drunkard, and then take your hardcore AA member. See a difference? Besides, the booze, I mean. To me, the answer is no. Fanatical AA members (are there any that aren't fanatical?) have replaced booze with AA, or, depending on the person, religion. They've gone from one extreme to the other, and they're fools for not realizing that a.) that is completely unhealthy and b.) NOTHING'S CHANGED.

Oh, except for their sense of self-righteousness.
And their lack of sweet, sweet beer in their life. Poor sods.
And they say her flower is faded now
Hard weather and hard booze
But maybe that's just the price you pay
For the chains you refuse

IntoxiChrist

Post by IntoxiChrist »

To its credit, I've found more solid drinking partners in AA than anywhere else. Much like I found fucking supreme drug connectoins in rehab.

And before anyone accuses me of informing for the other side, it wAs court ordered. Fuck, you steal one truck, hit someone, end up in a ditch., suddenly you're a social hazard...

grogzombie
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by grogzombie »

Personally, I've found that after doing a bit of step 5, I only drink if I WANT to.
Last edited by grogzombie on Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IntoxiChrist

Post by IntoxiChrist »

GROGZOMBIE IS A PROPHET LEAD ME TO SALVATION GROGZOMBIE

fdoosey
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by fdoosey »

Chelsea40ozBondage! wrote:
LuckyStrikes wrote:She is new to the state, not familiar with the area, and asked me if I would ride with her to an AA meeting to check on her clients. I went, and the stories I heard tonight were dooseys!
Fdoosy's a judas goat too!? :x What's this world coming to? Oh, the humanity!
Whoa, whoa, whoa! I was initially going to ask Lucky for my royalty check - anytime someone calls something a "doosey" I'm entitled to 25 cents.

But I am no Judas - and definitely no goat.
http://www.sammichmen.com

methfront: the man who wanted to steal a shopping cart of bowling balls and drop them from the back of a car down route 36 doesn't want to sow bitterness
fdoosey: No, he just wanted to have fun with a shopping cart of bowling balls.

LuckyStrikes
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by LuckyStrikes »

I don't even remember writing that post last night! Doosey, your check is in the mail. I read the small print.

All that talk about alcohol at that meeting got me so thirsty. I remember the little old lady who spoke about driving drunk to the liquor store with nothing on but a girdle and one shoe. Interesting crowd. Lots of court enforced attendees with broken noses and tattoos that were never finished.