Hey Chelsea, I went to an AA meeting tonight!!

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

boozeslinga
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by boozeslinga »

I did the AA/NA thing for awhile, almost 10 years ago, needed it to get off the heroin. And it worked. THen I realized that there was a much simpler solution--just don't do dope! It's worked for me so far. And I'm not gagging on their false God. They talk alot about denial, for a bunch of people that are steeped so deeply in denial. I gots no denial now- I yam what I yam, take it or leave it, makes me happy.
Yeah, God loves me, but Vodka loves me more...

LuckyStrikes
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by LuckyStrikes »

Vodka good.
Voices tell me to buy the bigger bottle!

SmokePuppet
Souse
Souse

Post by SmokePuppet »

Generic Jug wrote:Take your hardcore Days of Wine and Roses-type drunkard, and then take your hardcore AA member. See a difference? Besides, the booze, I mean. To me, the answer is no. Fanatical AA members (are there any that aren't fanatical?) have replaced booze with AA, or, depending on the person, religion.
I have to agree.
I told everyone here a while back that I was ordered to keep a journal of 30 AA meetings in 30 days, consecutively. Either that or "treatment", so I did it. And I discovered the same thing.
The irony of AA is two-fold: 1) If you go because you HAVE to, the meetings make you want to drink...like maybe drink half a beer and say, "Oh, look! I can stop because of willpower..."
2) when people in AA talk about how much they used to drink, they try to describe it in a negative manner, but it comes out like they're bragging. It's unbelievable! 'Um excuse me...you had to get help...you don't get to brag anymore. What's that? You could drink how much TJD in a night? Really...could you do it without beating the shit out of your wife? No you couldn't. I can. Now sit down and shut the fuck up, Drunky McBlackout."
"He asked me, 'What's yo motivation boy?'
I said, 'I work to drink.'" --- <i>Work to Drink</i>, Basin Street

http://www.johnrabon.com

Barca

Post by Barca »

It's true, whenever you get the AA zealot going, their tales are always a perverse mixture of self-righteousness and longing pride (or should that be prideful longing?). You can always see how much they revel in the memories of their past drinking and take pride in their past drunken exploits and adventures.

If they truly wanted to stop drinking, they can't possibly enjoy the memory that much, and if they didn't want to stop, then they're quitters and failures in my book.
Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. - Henry Lawson

Generic Jug
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Generic Jug »

SmokePuppet wrote:What's that? You could drink how much TJD in a night? Really...could you do it without beating the shit out of your wife? No you couldn't. I can. Now sit down and shut the fuck up, Drunky McBlackout."
That is so perfect, I want to go to an AA meeting right now just so I could say it to the first smug fuck who opens his mouth.
I've been here, I've been there, I've been everywhere...and your well still tastes like shoes. I'll take another.