Surpising news re: Malt liquor

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Tuffy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Tuffy »

Yep.
Nvnc est bibendvm.

Lifer
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: Surpising news re: Malt liquor

Post by Lifer »

18packcheffie wrote:Malt Liquor Drink of Homeless and Unemployed -Study

Mon Mar 14, 4:04 PM ET Health - Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Malt liquor, a type of beer that is higher in alcohol than other brews, is largely a drink of the homeless and unemployed, and is likely to be abused, U.S. researchers reported on Monday.

Yahoo! Health
Have questions about your health?
Find answers here.

And malt liquor is heavily marketed to black and Hispanic youth, the team at Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science in California found.

Their study of 329 drinkers in Los Angeles found that malt liquor drinkers are different from those who choose other tipples.

Ricky Bluthenthal, who led the study, said malt liquors were both higher in alcohol than other beers and tended to be sold in larger containers.

"We found that the combination of these differences resulted in the average malt liquor drinker in our study consuming 80 percent more alcohol per drink than the average regular beer drinker," he said in a statement.

And, Bluthenthal said, the more alcohol consumed, the worse the consequences for both the drinker and his or her community.

The products are largely targeted to black and Hispanic youths and young adults, she said.

"Rap artists have been popular images in malt liquor advertising and 'gangsta' rap performers portray malt liquor as a sign of masculinity," she said.

"Advertising influences brand choice, and what young people drink in early years influences what they drink as adults," she added in a telephone interview.

Malt liquors are often sold in 40-ounce (1 liter) bottles, she added. "Rap lyrics and movie scripts encourage 'chugging' the bottles before they get warm," she said.

a higher alcohol content makes it so you consume 80% more per drink? Wow...who would have thought that 80% more ALCOHOL per drink would do that??

Idiots.

and they didn't even MENTION college students among the malt liquor prone!
blasphemy
Bundy wrote:"I say Rooster old bean! sally forth with another pair of pink gins for these jolly lovely gels and we'll see if they arent up for a spot of rumpy pumpy before we have to dash off and give Jerry another sound thrashing, what? Tally ho!"

zak
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by zak »

a higher alcohol content makes it so you consume 80% more per drink? Wow...who would have thought that 80% more ALCOHOL per drink would do that??
That's only if you consider a 40oz as I drink. It's amazing how you can manipulate statistics. 1 40oz is equal to 3 to 4 drinks.
this post brought to you by #summerofmargaritas10 cause, yeah it's going to be that kinda of summer where mixed drinks with tequila is going to taste all types of good and stuff, this summer '10 get yourself some margaritas and holler at ya boy.

Jimmy&Guinney
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Jimmy&Guinney »

A Drink has .5 oz of Alcohol in it. Let's say Malt Liquor has 8% Alcohol in it. (It should have at least that much to be called Malt Liquor, I think.) 8% of 40 oz is 3.2 ounzes of soft luscious Alcohol. Divide that by .5 and you get almost 6 and a half Drinks. For under $2.

Yep.

Malt Liquour is the way to go.
And they say her flower is faded now
Hard weather and hard booze
But maybe that's just the price you pay
For the chains you refuse

rune
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by rune »

Jimmy&Guinney wrote:A drink has .5 oz of Alcohol in it. Let's say Malt Liquor has 8% Alcohol in it. (It should have at least that much to be called Malt Liquor, I think.) 8% of 40 oz is 3.2 ounzes of soft luscious Alcohol. Divide that by .5 and you get almost 6 and a half drinks. For under $2.

Yep.

Malt Liquour is the way to go.
Pythagoras would be proud,,,so THAT'S why I enjoy my Rainier ale so very much.