Purple Beer

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Defunct
Banned From the Pub
Banned From the Pub

Purple Beer

Post by Defunct »

I just picked up a 4 pack of Dogfish Courant Beer. It is made with courants and is purple. Tastes more like carbonated wine than beer. Very odd.

If I knew were I'd been, I'd tell you how to get there.

Cheffie
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Cheffie »

Is it yummy?

"Plus que ma propre vie" -more than my own life - 10

"Boom de a dah!!!"

"shey shey lang loi! (thank you pretty girl!)"- Palmwine

Defunct
Banned From the Pub
Banned From the Pub

Post by Defunct »

Not bad. Definitely different. It would be good for somebody like Wine Box who normally doesn't drink beer. I like that beer taste better though. I didn't look that closely at the labeling when I bought it, so it was a bit of a shocker. I tend to automatically reach for anything I haven't tried before, especially if it is from a reputable micro brewery.
Last edited by Defunct on Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cheffie
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Cheffie »

Or, better question- is it a Lambic Beer? They are delish. i do enjoy the Peach & the Framboise occasionally.

"Boom de a dah!!!"

Defunct
Banned From the Pub
Banned From the Pub

Post by Defunct »

18packcheffie wrote:Or, better question- is it a Lambic Beer? They are delish. i do enjoy the Peach & the Framboise occasionally.
Definitely more like a lambic than anything else. If you like lambics it is worth a try.

BuriedBlues
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by BuriedBlues »

purple haze is pretty purple. and pretty nasty, at that. still got raspberry pulp floatin around in it.

what's a lambic?

-Maria

Defunct
Banned From the Pub
Banned From the Pub

Post by Defunct »

Lambic are beers made primarily in Belgium in open fermentation tanks. The wort is pitched with copius amounts of ale yeast which ferment so quickly that they seal the top of the fermentation tank with a thick layer of active yeast which, in essence, forms the air tight seal necessary for anareobic alcoholic fermentation to ensue. They are typically heavily flavored with various fruits and often come in bottles that look like champaigne bottles.

Bender!
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Bender! »

BuriedBlues wrote:purple haze is pretty purple. and pretty nasty, at that. still got raspberry pulp floatin around in it.

what's a lambic?

-Maria
I beg to differ Maria. Granted- I like Abita Amber or Turbo Dog much more than the haze- but its still decent beer. Its a true wheat beer with a real raspberry added. Too damn expensive in these parts though.
Alcoholic is a medical term, Drunkard is a lifestyle. ~ Junkman.

Cheffie
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Cheffie »

well explained RIPT!

"Boom de a dah!!!"

BuriedBlues
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by BuriedBlues »

Bender! wrote:I like Abita Amber or Turbo Dog much more than the haze- but its still decent beer. Its a true wheat beer with a real raspberry added. Too damn expensive in these parts though.
yes they made fine beer and added real raspberry to it...it's just not my cup o tea, i guess. i've only had it once, and i couldn't finish it. i've never understood why they make it all year round instead of seasonally like so many others of their brews.

it is, by the way, my final goal in life to have enough money and clout to get abita to brew a beer specifically for me. i know anne rice has had it done for special occasions.

-Maria

Fast Cast
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Fast Cast »

BuriedBlues wrote:
Bender! wrote:I like Abita Amber or Turbo Dog much more than the haze- but its still decent beer. Its a true wheat beer with a real raspberry added. Too damn expensive in these parts though.
yes they made fine beer and added real raspberry to it...it's just not my cup o tea, i guess. i've only had it once, and i couldn't finish it. i've never understood why they make it all year round instead of seasonally like so many others of their brews.

it is, by the way, my final goal in life to have enough money and clout to get abita to brew a beer specifically for me. i know anne rice has had it done for special occasions.

-Maria
For some reason raspberry beers always remind me of Robitussin.
I just wish there were some actual drunkards around here who can handle themselves like adults while still acting like retards - liquor&poker

Post by .... »

RIPT wrote:Not bad. Definitely different. It would be good for somebody like Wine Box who normally doesn't drink beer. I like that beer taste better though. I didn't look that closely at the labeling when I bought it, so it was a bit of a shocker. I tend to automatically reach for anything I haven't tried before, especially if it is from a reputable micro brewery.
Damn!!! Have I got time to join you before you finish it off? I need variety!!

I had three Irish Car Bombs yesterday, so technically I have had beer recently. Before you know it, I'll be drinking PBR, or would if they carried it here.