Jameson

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Dick
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Dick »

BuriedBlues wrote:
Dale wrote:
BuriedBlues wrote:anyhow, whether or not that's how it's written on the bottle, it is john jameson's whiskey, isn't it?
Following your logic you could then say a Jim Beam's, a Johnny Walker's etc. too, but how stupid would that be?
and so what if i did? not that i would, because they sound silly. jameson's, (or jamesons, depending on how you look at it) just sounds right. it's so commonly used, here as much as "out there", and so comfortable-sounding that i would argue it's a permanent part of the drunken vernacular. so, put away that red pen of yours, cuz (look how easy it is so change words!) i don't intend to stop using it.

your effort to make us better-informed drunkards is respectable, though. but it's like trying to get people to stop using "hopefully" incorrectly. just not going to happen.

-Maria
Point taken, you little rebel.

BuriedBlues
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by BuriedBlues »

yee-haw! jamesonses all around

-Maria

Tipsy McStagger
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Tipsy McStagger »

LadyRed wrote:
BuriedBlues wrote:...your effort to make us better-informed drunkards is respectable, though. but it's like trying to get people to stop using "hopefully" incorrectly. just not going to happen.

-Maria
I always use that word wrong.
#1: I too, will hopefully use the correct context. If that day comes, it be accidental, I assure you.

#2: I too, always use "hopefully" as well as many other word out of conxtext. It sounds better, it looks better, and goshdamnit, that's how real Americans speak or talk depending on your dialect.

#3: Dagnabit, I'm lazy. If it looks right whilst writing it, then dangit, it's good enough for me. So there.
On more than one occassion this conversation has led to a handful of boob."
~Oggar

BuriedBlues
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by BuriedBlues »

damn straight tipsy, you use your words however you want. it's your duty, in fact. it's what separates us from civilized english-types.

just don't say "i could care less" cuz that just don't make sense.

-Maria

Tipsy McStagger
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Tipsy McStagger »

BuriedBlues wrote:damn straight tipsy, you use your words however you want. it's your duty, in fact. it's what separates us from civilized english-types.

just don't say "i could care less" cuz that just don't make sense.

-Maria
I agree, although, I couldn't care less about that whole argument. :roll: :wink: 8)
On more than one occassion this conversation has led to a handful of boob."
~Oggar

joesixpack
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by joesixpack »

Simple...order a Jameson and Dry! I do.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

I seem to recall something about people making brand names possessive and that it is a holdover from some bygone era. It had/has to do with specifying a product and the maker adn it being proper for it to be possessive and then eventually dropping the product. Or something.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

joesixpack
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by joesixpack »

Ah yes...Boot's cough medicine etc....

Toohey is a last name. I have never heard of a Mr Tooheys.

But Tooheys is a brand of Australian beers.....I don't know if it is meant to be Tooheys or Toohey's......