I think the apartment upstairs from me is cursed

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

I think the apartment upstairs from me is cursed

Post by .... »

The people who used to live there were awful. The cops were called on more than one occasion and lives were constantly being threatened (an obvious wifebeater). These new people seemed okay at first, but now he's constantly yelling at the kids (they're like 2 and 7) when his wife is at work, which is usually evenings because she's a hairdresser. Then they keep having the Sunday night fights. God, makes me happy I have no one, but on the other hand I feel bad for his kids. I hear him swearing at them and everything. The F-word is freely bandied. Tonight I'm pretty sure he called them "dicks", even though they're little girls. I don't know what to do.

Red
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Red »

If his behavior is affecting your peaceful enjoyment of your rental property, a word to the landlord might be in order.

If he's had seven years to come to grips that he's not childless any more and hasn't made any progress, nuke him.

My humble opinion...

Post by .... »

Red wrote:If his behavior is affecting your peaceful enjoyment of your rental property, a word to the landlord might be in order.

If he's had seven years to come to grips that he's not childless any more and hasn't made any progress, nuke him.

My humble opinion...
You have a point.

I consider speaking to him personally before blowing him in, but I detest confrontation. But calling your kids "dicks" is not acceptable behavior, even by my lax standards.

All is quiet now, however.

grippingthewheel
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by grippingthewheel »

File a written complaint with your landlord. Most rental agreements have an excessive noise clause. And if you think there is actual physical abuse call the cops. Child abusers should be dwarn and quartered. That's drawn and quartered. Chain-whipped and dragged over broken glass. Or anything the Inquistion dreamed up.
Last edited by grippingthewheel on Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Please welcomce in all his diluted glory the man whose story writes itself not unlike mine who feveriously types awaiting his next sip before the whipping, anticiapation is making me want to strangle someone." ~whiskyprick

zak
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by zak »

I threatened a neighbor's boyfriend once when he called her 7 year old daughter a little bitch. After that she started coming over whenever he was being a dick. Eventually she got a restraining order against him. Talk to the mother first, try to get her to do something about the guy first. If that doesn't work you could try talking to him. Assholes tend to shut up and listen with a smith and wesson pointed at their head.
this post brought to you by #summerofmargaritas10 cause, yeah it's going to be that kinda of summer where mixed drinks with tequila is going to taste all types of good and stuff, this summer '10 get yourself some margaritas and holler at ya boy.

Tipsy McStagger
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Tipsy McStagger »

If you really and truly think he's abusing his kids (either mentally or physically) call me. I know NY State Law when it comes to children, and can advise you to how to make an anyonomous phone call. But beware, even anonyminity oh fuck I'm drunk, has its price.
On more than one occassion this conversation has led to a handful of boob."
~Oggar

The Medicator
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by The Medicator »

Most people will get hostile with you if you overtly suggest that they are being innapropriate with their kids. I would never recommend that approach. Its not likely to benefit the children.

And keep this firmly in mind as well just in case you hear him beating the crap out of them one evening. Statistically children are roughly 50-70 times more likely to die in the care of US government. Its a bitch, aint it?

My suggestion, if you're feeling interventive, bake them some cookies and leave them at their door with a nice neighborly note with your name and apartment number. Most people, regardless of how fucked up their behavior is, have a conscience and inherently understand when their behavior and general approach to life warrants modification. Part of the reason they infrequently act on this knowledge is because we are all isolated in this modern society and tend to lack the means within that isolation to inflict healthy shame on each other.

Cookies. Then the apartment manager. Then the cops. Never CPS.
"All governments are liars and murderers."

- Bill Hicks

hottcakes
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by hottcakes »

The Medicator wrote:Most people will get hostile with you if you overtly suggest that they are being innapropriate with their kids. I would never recommend that approach. Its not likely to benefit the children.

And keep this firmly in mind as well just in case you hear him beating the crap out of them one evening. Statistically children are roughly 50-70 times more likely to die in the care of US government. Its a bitch, aint it?

My suggestion, if you're feeling interventive, bake them some cookies and leave them at their door with a nice neighborly note with your name and apartment number. Most people, regardless of how fucked up their behavior is, have a conscience and inherently understand when their behavior and general approach to life warrants modification. Part of the reason they infrequently act on this knowledge is because we are all isolated in this modern society and tend to lack the means within that isolation to inflict healthy shame on each other.

Cookies. Then the apartment manager. Then the cops. Never CPS.
i think thats great advice.try to be friend the mother and the children.dont call the landlord too much because he might think you're causing trouble.as fucked up as that sounds,its true.some friends of mine in new orleans got evicted for complaining about their upstairs neighbors too much.
i just can't seem to function without my morning coffee.sure,i've tried other enemas....

The Medicator
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by The Medicator »

And I offer this advice in spite of the following fiasco:

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,141 ... 38,00.html

- Bill Hicks

The Medicator
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by The Medicator »

Its interesting that this comes up because I'm currently engaged in a discussion on another forum about the socio/political implications of the absence of front porches on most peoples' homes/houses/apartements.
I believe that this is one of the most underated instigators of a divided and conquered populace and....well....shamelessness.

- Bill Hicks

Cheffie
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Cheffie »

The Medicator wrote:Its interesting that this comes up because I'm currently engaged in a discussion on another forum about the socio/political implications of the absence of front porches on most peoples' homes/houses/apartements.
I believe that this is one of the most underated instigators of a divided and conquered populace and....well....shamelessness.
That is quite intersting, the lack of front porches, and true. I would have never met & become friends with our nieghbors if not for our back porches & shared back yards. It might be because I live in the Midwest, (I'm from the norhtheast)but I also noticed a conspicious lack of sidewalks in newer residential neighborhoods. Any thoughts on that?

"Plus que ma propre vie" -more than my own life - 10

"Boom de a dah!!!"

"shey shey lang loi! (thank you pretty girl!)"- Palmwine