Wild Turkeys In My Yard

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Crystal
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by Crystal »

I have a terrible of turkeys of the wild nature. Wild Turkey, on the other hand, I suggest you indulge in immediately.
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
GFYCMD- Go Fuck Yourself, Captain Mike Davis.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Indeed, it is a sign from the cosmos. Drink Wild Turkey. Drink it fast. Gobble, gobble.
like tears in rain

Ranger6
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Ranger6 »

mmmm, deep fried turkey.
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough Without ever having felt sorry for itself

Jukebox Johnson
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Jukebox Johnson »

I'm drinking it right now. I just got back from the liquor store where I picked up a 1/2 gal of Wild Turkey. I'm also wearing a necklace that I made myself out of wild turkey spurs. I'm sure this is the right thing to do.

While I was at the liquor store, I got to talking to the lady who owns it and it turns out her son loves to turkey hunt and is teaching his son, etc. While we chit-chatted for 5-10 minutes (I am in the Deep South, it's rude to just pop in and pop out), I noticed an interesting looking bottle on the shelf with a umlaut on the lable. As an old Jager fan, I knew an umlaut meant fun. It was a bottle of Berenjager(sp, too lazy to look at the bottle), a honey based liquour and so I bought it. We often toast kills (nice bucks only) during deer season with Jagermeister, so I thought I would create a new drinking tradition for turkey season using the Berenjager.

Now I am already about to invent a new drink with WT and Berenjager. I'll post shortly . . .

Jukebox Johnson
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

I went with about 3 parts Wild Turkey to 1 part Berenjager, on the rocks. This could be deadly. VERY smooth, slightly sweet. It might be too much Beren, I'll try to adjust on the next round. Does this drink already exist? If not, I guess I will have to keep drinking them until I come up with a name . . .

Jukebox Johnson
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Three fingers of whishkey and jusht a splash of the Berenjager is about right. I don't care about a name anymore. I'm terrible with names anyway.

Dylboz
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Re: Wild Turkeys In My Yard

Post by Dylboz »

Jukebox Johnson wrote:...I don't have any Wild Turkey and it's too late to go to the liquor store...
How late is "too" late, and where is this accursed place where it becomes too "late" to go to the liquor store. Ours are open 'til 2 am and we have liquor at the corner grocery...if you don't get there by 2, you can go at 6 am, that's when they start again.

Wow, Arizona rocks!
I've taken the edge off so many times, I'm round!

Jukebox Johnson
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Dylboz wrote:How late is "too" late, and where is this accursed place where it becomes too "late" to go to the liquor store?
In South Carolina the liquor stores close at 7:00PM. You have to plan ahead if you don't want to be thirsty in this state.

We have some of the most antiquated liquor laws still in existance. For instance: The liquor stores cannot sell anything but liquor; no food, no cigs, not even beer. All liquor stores are marked with huge red dots on the exterior, presumably to warn anyone whose reputation would be ruined if they were seen walking out of a liquor store. Even the size of the red dots is defined by law. (The dots are very handy for drunks however. Some of these little stores would be hard to find without them. They are a real service when traveling through rural areas.)

No liquor may be sold on Sunday except at private clubs and then only to members (except in touristy areas where a local referendum is required, along with a special permit which costs $$$$). State law forbids selling liquor drinks in any resturant until 10:00AM, no exceptions. Bars must close at 2:00AM, except private clubs; but everyone has to close at midnight on Saturday.

State law requires bars to serve from mini-bottles. No free pour anywhere in this state. I think we are the only one to do that. The upside of that for drinkers is that every drink will have 50ml of liquor, it's not up to the bartender. The downside is that drinks with more that one alcoholic ingredient can get expensive. For bartenders it means they have to get tips based on service and charm, not the strength of their pouring.

I could go on but I think you get the picture. Personally I love our quaint, quirky laws. It sets up some great straight lines from out of state visitors. They will say "Back in (name state) we blah blah blah." Then we can snarl: "Well you're not IN (name state) now, are you? If you don't like it you can just go back to (name state)."