Should I not be insulted?

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

happydrunk
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Should I not be insulted?

Post by happydrunk »

This is more to do with food than booze, but I'm puttin' it to ya anyway. After working hard making a nice dinner for the husband and kids, Sarge invariably always covers his meal with Tabasco, or some other hot sauce. I always get insulted, since I feel he is masking all the taste of the food I just worked so hard to prepare. He thinks I'm being stupid.

I know this is no big deal, really, but just wondered how you would feel if this happened to you?

Oh - last night it was angel hair pasta in a vegetable sauce (peppers, carrots, onions, garlic, mushrooms sauteed in olive oil with soy sauce and honey), with HSA (for him) and happydrink (for me). (had to get booze in there somewhere)
I'm not so think as you drunk I am.

Hell is no bourbon - Ms. Savage

Because that's how you win. Gunpowder and rum.,

Tipsy McStagger
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Tipsy McStagger »

How long have you been married?

The reason I ask is because my hubby and I are rounding the corner to 11 years. In that time, plus two before wedded bliss, I have come to accept that Johnny's gonna put ketchup on it. (He's even done this with tacos) so I just learned to accept it, and actually take the ketchup out for him to slather on his plate. Some times it's so bad I can't even look at his plate.

Do I get insulted? Nah. Some people add salt or pepper to food before tasting it, my hubby uses ketchup, yours uses tabasco. As long as the food is swallowed and the plate is clean, I've got nothing to complain about.
On more than one occassion this conversation has led to a handful of boob."
~Oggar

zak
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by zak »

Is the food spicy before he puts the hot sauce on it? Some people just like there food spicy. I put hot sauce on just about everything myself. Hot sauce is some good stuff.
this post brought to you by #summerofmargaritas10 cause, yeah it's going to be that kinda of summer where mixed drinks with tequila is going to taste all types of good and stuff, this summer '10 get yourself some margaritas and holler at ya boy.

happydrunk
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by happydrunk »

I've been with Sarge since the late 80's, so yeah - I know he likes spicy stuff, and I don't begrudge him that. It just pisses me off when I spend a lot of time on a meal, and I know he's just going to drown it in hot sauce. Well, I don't really get pissed off, just insulted/dissapointed/????? Its not like we fight about it or anything. I know I should just accept it and move on . . .

so basically you're saying I shouldn't be insulted at all

that's cool. (okay Sarge - you are right, I'm just being stupid then!)

Tipsy McStagger
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Believe me, living with Captain Ketchup is no picnic. You make a nice dinner, a dinner where ketchup (or in your case, tabasco) should not even be mentioned. Yet, there it is, that damn bottle of Heinz, glaring at me, scoffing at my attempts at the culinary arts.

I seriously doubt the police would act to hard on me if Captain Ketchup was ever beaten about the neck and face with a bottle of the red stuff.

But rather than find out, I've learned to accept my fate. And when I walk by the ketchup bottle sitting on my table, I quietly flip it the bird. Because I know something that Captain Ketchup and his mistress Heinz don't, there's something in that meal that he wouldn't eat anyway and I'm not talking anymore since he posts here!
~Oggar

happydrunk
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by happydrunk »

Tipsy McStagger wrote:Believe me, living with Captain Ketchup is no picnic. You make a nice dinner, a dinner where ketchup (or in your case, tabasco) should not even be mentioned. Yet, there it is, that damn bottle of Heinz, glaring at me, scoffing at my attempts at the culinary arts.

I seriously doubt the police would act to hard on me if Captain Ketchup was ever beaten about the neck and face with a bottle of the red stuff.

But rather than find out, I've learned to accept my fate. And when I walk by the ketchup bottle sitting on my table, I quietly flip it the bird. Because I know something that Captain Ketchup and his mistress Heinz don't, there's something in that meal that he wouldn't eat anyway and I'm not talking anymore since he posts here!
My son eats ketchup with everything - he even dips his veggies in it. He's only 4 years old though. I'm hoping he grows out of it. I don't want to live with a Captain Ketchup!

Hey Tipsy - I might get to see you this summer . . . when I drive the kids down to NJ my mom and I are taking the kids down the shore and staying at a hotel for a couple of nights. I'm hoping its close to where you are so I can sneak out and have a little fun at night! Tipsy's bar, right!?!

Tipsy McStagger
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Keep me posted to when you're coming and stuff. I'll take time off to give you the royal treatment local style!

You may even get to meet Captain Ketchup!
~Oggar

happydrunk
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by happydrunk »

Tipsy McStagger wrote:Keep me posted to when you're coming and stuff. I'll take time off to give you the royal treatment local style!

will do. Sometime in July - I think the third weekend. However, don't take time off on account of me. I can always just hang out at the bar where you work and bug you: "What do you mean, only one piece of pineapple garnish in my happydrink???? Don't get cheap on me now Tipsy!"

Tipsy McStagger
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

happydrunk wrote:
Tipsy McStagger wrote:Keep me posted to when you're coming and stuff. I'll take time off to give you the royal treatment local style!

will do. Sometime in July - I think the third weekend. However, don't take time off on account of me. I can always just hang out at the bar where you work and bug you: "What do you mean, only one piece of pineapple garnish in my happydrink???? Don't get cheap on me now Tipsy!"
I'm laughing really hard right now. Pineapple garnish? Oh, Mercy!!! Hey sister, we gots us some lemons, some limes, oranges, and them thar cherries. Plus huge olives for martinis. But pineapple? *wipes tears from eyes* We ain't that kinda bar!
~Oggar

Tuffy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Tuffy »

Insulted? No. Some people are just that way, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with your cooking. It's more of a man thing and it goes back to childhood (he was probably an over-catsuper before he became an over-Tobascoer).

Either ignore it or spend less time & effort on his meals since they're all going to taste the same to him anyway. It's unlikely that he'll wake up one day and decide to do without.

Me, I keep a variety of hotsauces from Tapa Tia to Sriracha to chile-infused peanut oil and am hugely found of fresh-ground black pepper (I never salt anything), but there's a time and place for everything.
Nvnc est bibendvm.

happydrunk
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by happydrunk »

Tipsy McStagger wrote:
happydrunk wrote:

I'm laughing really hard right now. Pineapple garnish? Oh, Mercy!!! Hey sister, we gots us some lemons, some limes, oranges, and them thar cherries. Plus huge olives for martinis. But pineapple? *wipes tears from eyes* We ain't that kinda bar!
does it show I don't get out much?!? How about I bring my own can of pineapple chunks? Or is foreign fruit not allowed there!? Hmmm, cherries might be a good substitute, and would look pretty in my drink!

Lupus
Booze Head
Booze Head

Re: Should I not be insulted?

Post by Lupus »

happydrunk wrote:This is more to do with food than booze, but I'm puttin' it to ya anyway. After working hard making a nice dinner for the husband and kids, Sarge invariably always covers his meal with Tabasco, or some other hot sauce. I always get insulted, since I feel he is masking all the taste of the food I just worked so hard to prepare. He thinks I'm being stupid.

I know this is no big deal, really, but just wondered how you would feel if this happened to you?

Oh - last night it was angel hair pasta in a vegetable sauce (peppers, carrots, onions, garlic, mushrooms sauteed in olive oil with soy sauce and honey), with HSA (for him) and happydrink (for me). (had to get booze in there somewhere)
Autocondimentor: Someone who will put certainly salt and probably pepper on any meal you put in front of them whatever it is and regardless of how much it's got on it already and regardless of how it tastes. Behavioural psychiatrists working for fast food outlets throughout the universe have saved billions of whatever the local currency is by noting the autocondimenting phenomenon and advising their employers to leave seasoning out in the first place. This is really true." Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man

Both my father and brother are shameless autocondimentors. Bro tends to create snowstorm effects using the salt shaker and my dad seems to put Tabasco and/or ketchup and/or mustard on everything. Mustard on spaghetti?! It's insane. I occasionally threaten to disown them, but usually it's just me and my mom doing some eye rolling and exasperated sighing.
“I admire Mpraian and your soupra. Your soupra incloud NOS, NEON and dig bouga. Mpraian is a very good driver. The soupra color is orange. Your garage is in the Maiamy. I don't now anything for your life but I now your car. Your car is your life."

Drunkard-X
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Drunkard-X »

I wouldn't take offense ladies. Some people just really like ketchup, hotsauce, etc. on everything. My roomate is like that with butter. Personally, I rarely even use ketchup and if I'm cooking something deserving of spice, I cook the spices right in it. But, then again, I'm usually cooking for only myself.

I have a theory about the Captain ketchups of the world. It's my belief that at some point in their lives, they were subjected to sub-par cooking that *needed* the ketchup for an extended period of time. This seems to be a common trait with the Military folks especially. It becomes a habit like smoking. I wouldn't take offense in any case, it's just their habit.
Last edited by Drunkard-X on Sat May 07, 2005 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ex-Drunkard? Or Drunkard-X?

Drunkard-X
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: Should I not be insulted?

Post by Drunkard-X »

Lupus wrote:
happydrunk wrote:This is more to do with food than booze, but I'm puttin' it to ya anyway. After working hard making a nice dinner for the husband and kids, Sarge invariably always covers his meal with Tabasco, or some other hot sauce. I always get insulted, since I feel he is masking all the taste of the food I just worked so hard to prepare. He thinks I'm being stupid.

Autocondimentor: Someone who will put certainly salt and probably pepper on any meal you put in front of them whatever it is and regardless of how much it's got on it already and regardless of how it tastes. Behavioural psychiatrists working for fast food outlets throughout the universe have saved billions of whatever the local currency is by noting the autocondimenting phenomenon and advising their employers to leave seasoning out in the first place. This is really true." Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man

Both my father and brother are shameless autocondimentors. Bro tends to create snowstorm effects using the salt shaker and my dad seems to put Tabasco and/or ketchup and/or mustard on everything. Mustard on spaghetti?! It's insane. I occasionally threaten to disown them, but usually it's just me and my mom doing some eye rolling and exasperated sighing.
lol, Autocondimentor. That's good stuff. I believe I missed your first post Lupus. Welcome to the board, and I'd love a pint of Guinness.
Ex-Drunkard? Or Drunkard-X?

deadpuppiesandwhores
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by deadpuppiesandwhores »

maybe your food just tastes like crap. i'm just kidding, damn that was mean. i'm sorry, but not sorry enough to delete it. most of us (fellas that is) just feel this strange, unexplainable urge to add something of our own to everymeal, myself i use tobasco also. its like on some small scale it makes us feel a bit like a conniseur if we add something all by ourselves. basically its our ego. and i think that gives you the right to be insulted. kick his ass.
road to hell is paved with unbought stuffed dogs.
"I AM TOO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN."
colonel sanders

http://meetme.hotornot.com/r/?emid=K8ERHQN

i'm not saying i beat the devil, but i drank his beer for nothin'.... then i stole his song.