Now I'm Sure the World is Coming to an End

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

daphne
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: Washington. Home of JZ Knight and other nuts, which is why we drink here.

Now I'm Sure the World is Coming to an End

Post by daphne »

I'd told my best friend Andrea once that I was about disappointed with all of "cool" rock bands selling their songs to commercials. "You know," I told her once on the phone, "it makes them look like sellouts, capitalistic cash whores." We had a laugh at the expense of Led Zeppelin, U2, The Black-Eyed Peas, and other groups that we liked but dubiously glance at sideways, wondering how big the checking account has grown.

"Hey," I then said, "if Jane's Addiction ever sells out, I will be checking the sky for raining fire and frogs the size of Cadillacs with teeth and bad attitudes!"

"Perry will never do this!" we agreed.

I guess I need to make sure that our insurance policy on the house includes protection against apocalytic frogs, now, because Jane's Addiction has sold the right for "Jane Says" to TJD Whiskey. The latest commercial just came on the television while I was watching, of all things, a special of Sodom and Gommorah that's playing on the History Channel.

I'm so disappointed. Pearl Jam may be the only holdout.
RIP Frederick and my beloved GatorX
You deserve all the puffery you can get
daph and grip say "bourbony goodness!"
http://daphneszoo.com/

Mongeaux
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Mongeaux »

I dunno, cocaine and herioin don't buy themselves do they? These are somewhat-past-their-prime Rock Stars we're talking about, right?

Rowdydrunk79
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: Now I'm Sure the World is Coming to an End

Post by Rowdydrunk79 »

daphne-ingthroughthesnow wrote:I guess I need to make sure that our insurance policy on the house includes protection against apocalytic frogs, now, because Jane's Addiction has sold the right for "Jane Says" to TJD Whiskey. The latest commercial just came on the television while I was watching, of all things, a special of Sodom and Gommorah that's playing on the History Channel.
Selling your song for a commercial should be done tastefully, like nudity. And we all know that TJD is tastless.
"Preacher! Go on down and get me some bourbon. J. T. S. Brown. No ice, no glass."
- Paul Newman, The Hustler
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/141203 ... F8&s=books

Xian
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Xian »

"Here's the deal, folks. You do a commercial - you're off the artistic roll call, forever. End of story. Okay? You're another whore at the captialist gang bang and if you do a commercial, there's a price on your head. Everything you say is suspect and every word that comes out of your mouth is now like a turd falling into my drink." - Bill Hicks

So, did Perry sell the song, or did the label sell the song? I dunno what his ties are in that regard.

I made a god out of blood
Not superiority
I killed the king of deceit
Wake me up in anarchy

daphne
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: Washington. Home of JZ Knight and other nuts, which is why we drink here.

Post by daphne »

I'm not sure how the "song whoring" goes, but I just know that when I heard the song on the television, and the cool live version at that, my heart sank and a tiny, little piece of me died right there.

Oh, and I thought that the cd they put out a year or two ago was fabulous. They aren't dead yet and they still tour; but now, the live experience may be ruined for me.

Sigh.

Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by **** »

some cheese corporation redefined emf's only hit, "unbelievable" into a jingle for their crumbled cheeses. it is now known as "crumbelievable." as though there was a demand for that steaming pile of top 40 to rise from the ashes of mediocrity.

daphne
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by daphne »

I guess that it's fitting that the product was cheese, then. :wink:

I would be thrilled to pieces with only a piece of these people's paychecks. How much does one need, I wonder, to sell out? It occurred to me that maybe the Jane's Addiction guys really like TJD and that's why they donated their song, but of course this is me rationalizing a denial like a mad bastard.

Rowdydrunk79
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Rowdydrunk79 »

saint nic wrote:some cheese corporation redefined emf's only hit, "unbelievable" into a jingle for their crumbled cheeses. it is now known as "crumbelievable." as though there was a demand for that steaming pile of top 40 to rise from the ashes of mediocrity.
Ok, this is a bit off subject but isn't pre-packaged crumbled cheese stupid?
"Preacher! Go on down and get me some bourbon. J. T. S. Brown. No ice, no glass."

daphne
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by daphne »

LOL! It's like the cubed cheese, huh? We'll buy anything already prepared!

Rowdydrunk79
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Rowdydrunk79 »

daphne-ingthroughthesnow wrote:LOL! It's like the cubed cheese, huh?
My argument exactly!

Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by **** »

Rowdydrunk79 wrote:
daphne-ingthroughthesnow wrote:LOL! It's like the cubed cheese, huh?
My argument exactly!
people who pay more for that crap have no right to handle cutlery, so i guess it all works out.

tjd can eat my ass. i don't really know what that jane's addiction song has to do with drinking...i thought it was about a fucked up trannie prostitute or something.

Rowdydrunk79
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Rowdydrunk79 »

saint nic wrote:people who pay more for that crap have no right to handle cutlery, so i guess it all works out.
Hey we gotta skim the gene pool somehow.

Dale

Post by Dale »

MongoTheRedNosedBoozer wrote:I dunno, cocaine and herioin don't buy themselves do they? These are somewhat-past-their-prime Rock Stars we're talking about, right?
And some of that money will get back to those fine workers at the plantations and labs, so it would be okay, if it wasn't a TJD commercial.
BIG MISTAKE!
"What doesn't kill you makes you ... stranger."

Xian

Post by Xian »

saint nic wrote: people who pay more for that crap have no right to handle cutlery, so i guess it all works out.
this is why i try to keep my ass out of the kitchen. Cutlery i can handle, it's that damnable heat producing machine with the pots and pans on it that give me issues.

I made a god out of blood
Not superiority
I killed the king of deceit
Wake me up in anarchy

G_W
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by G_W »

Rowdydrunk79 wrote:
saint nic wrote:people who pay more for that crap have no right to handle cutlery, so i guess it all works out.
Hey we gotta skim the gene pool somehow.
They deserve the cutlery, just the business end though.
steved wrote:Proof is just information.
"We're all in a freak show. It's called life. Buy a ticket and enjoy the ride." - Foamy the Squirrel