Painkillers and Bourbon

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Dylboz
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Painkillers and Bourbon

Post by Dylboz »

I sit here with my Knob Creek, and I am contemplating opiates. As many of you know, I take high doses of pain meds for the chronic pain I suffer from nerve damage due to 4 automotive rear endings and 1 open heart surgery in the last 2 years (the surgery just over a year ago, the 4th accident, which totalled my Bimmer, in June). I need these meds to live a normal life, but I actually don't like taking them, because they make me drowsy and itchy, and they get in the way of me being as productive as I might otherwise be, but on balance it beats the hell out of constant pain. Many people have warned me about the dangers of boozing while on them, but I have found no significant issues, espescially since I never exceed the recommended dosage. Many people have threatened me with horror stories of hopeless addiction, tumors, infertility and a host of other boogey men that jump into their heads when I say "Oxycontin." Suffice to say, I just smile and nod, thank them for their concern and keep on managing my pain. BUT...

There is a huge downside to this. I do not abuse my meds, I often don't take as many as I am prescribed each month because if I don't hurt, I don't medicate, but my friends and family members DO abuse them. I lost one friend of 13 years this year because he stole pills from me, got caught and then lied about it. I caught my mother-in-law red handd, a fist full of my pills in her hand. I have another friend who got hooked after shoulder surgery. While he gets even more meds than I do from his doctor, and at higher doses, he has a big ol' pill and pain patch orgy for the first week and a half of the month, and then spends the next 3 weeks begging pills off of me or ordering shit from Pakistan or buying pills in Mexican pharmacies or from street dealers. He is one bad jones away from buying Heroin.

These drugs are life savers for many, but I've seen so many people turn into their worst selves over them, it makes me sad. I have to hide my pill bottles from my wife's mom and always when strangers visit. I finally put my foot down with my friend, telling him no more, he cannot just count on me to get him through after every binge. He swears he's going to rehab (what are they gonna tell him that he doesn't already know? Once you get through withdrawl, just don't take more! How can a grown man who says he doesn't want to take something keep taking it? It doesn't sneak up in the night and scurry down his throat...) of course only AFTER this next month's prescription, you know, just to get through the holidays.

I know I drink a lot, so I'm hardly in a position to preach about substance abuse (and I advocate total drug legalization to boot!) but for your own sake, be careful with opiates if you ever need to take them, and don't share your prescriptions with your friends because it's bound to come between you. I'm venting here, but I'm just frustrated and discouraged. I am working with a massage therapist and looking into accupuncture in order to get myself off of these things. I've been losing weight and exercising (ironically, I can do it only because I have the meds), which should help relieve some stress on my shoulder...I've also been trying to spend less time in front of the computer to give the arm a rest. My goal is by my 30th birthday to be off the patches and only taking meds occasionally for bad flare ups (or bad hangovers :wink: ) instead of daily. Cheers! Here's to Booze, my favorite drug!

PS-Feel free to add your responses, stories, anecdotes etc. I am not just venting, but also looking for feedback.
I've taken the edge off so many times, I'm round!

WastelessPointOfTime
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by WastelessPointOfTime »

I'll just say "Cheers!" to the Booze being your favorite drug thing. Mine too. Never done the pill thing in any way. I hate pharmaceutical companies.

Miss the grass sometimes, but the Booze, oh yeah. I like drinking. Kudos to you for trying to keep your moochers off your legal stash.
"binary: being drunk makes me amazed at life"

23:22 <@fiyah> i need a new glass
23:22 <@fiyah> this one has ... toothpaste on it
23:22 <@fiyah> i hope it's toothpaste

21:15 <@fiyah> then again
21:15 <@fiyah> we just wash our hands
21:15 <@fiyah> splash water on our faces
21:15 <@fiyah> and see what's out there

General E. Fubar

Post by General E. Fubar »

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor, hopefully you won't get off them in time for age to start making everything hurt.
"I hope you like Guinness, I find it a refreshing substitute to... food."
- O'Neill

If I stop drinking all at once, I'm afraid the cumulative hangover will kill me.
- Archer

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

I get where you are coming from Dylz. I had two prescriptions for pain pills a couple of years before. I even made an ass of myself in public once. I never took them regularly, though the prescription called for it. Then a few months later, someone asked if she could have one or two for her pain. She took them all. It was only recently that I was again hurting so bad that I wanted to take one, and found that they were all gone.

I think that if you can drink heavily and not feck up, that you should not worry about how many pills you take. You sound like a man who is securely grounded in reality. The only time alcohol is bad to mix with meds is when the meds are antibiotics. I found this out AFTER my extensive-exspensive dental surgery. :roll:
like tears in rain

WildDamnTurkey
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by WildDamnTurkey »

You are to be cogratulated for cutting off your friend, you wouldn't be a real friend if you kept hooking him up when you knew full well what was going on. Good job.
I can't imagine how you're able to even let your mother in law in your home after she stole your meds, but I imagine your wife had a say in that.

It's stories like this that shore up my belief that drugs should not be legalized/decriminalized across the board. Physical addiction takes your soul, you are no longer the person you were, you're just a living delivery system for the drug.

Post by ***** »

So in summation, it isn't that drugs get people addicted, it's people who are addicts and happen to find a substance they like.

Good luck with the rehab. As I'm sure you know, it is harder than any other part of the process of healing and living with chronic injuries/pain. The wife may benefit from acupuncture as well--it could become a fun family outing!

Dale
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Dale »

DrDrinkBastard wrote:So in summation, it isn't that drugs get people addicted, it's people who are addicts and happen to find a substance they like.
Thank you very fucking much. Now I don't have to read his lengthy post.
"What doesn't kill you makes you ... stranger."

Post by ***** »

Dale wrote:
DrDrinkBastard wrote:So in summation, it isn't that drugs get people addicted, it's people who are addicts and happen to find a substance they like.
Thank you very fucking much. Now I don't have to read his lengthy post.
I'm the Reader's Digest of assholes.