Drinking at work type thread

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Heileman
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Drinking at work type thread

Post by Heileman »

I'm considering moving out East, North East to be specific (CT, RI, MA type area), and I was looking over job listings in the area and I found myself thinking, "Hmmm...which of these jobs would accomodate drinking and being productive?" Being in construction does not exactly make drinking on the job a good idea (not a good idea, but not a horrifying idea either). I was looking at a few office type jobs still within my realm of experience and wondering what the office drinking situation is like. I've never worked in any kind of really structured work environment, so I look to you all for answers. I'm sure there are some of you that have experience in this area, so please give me some advice.
The bottle doesn't make you do things, it just lets you...

When I'm not drinkin', I'm thinkin' about drinkin'

bluebottle
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by bluebottle »

restaurant work allows for much drinking, as does day labor, but i've never had an office job. what fields are you looking to go into?

Drunk Tank
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Drunk Tank »

I work in an office and am hammered all the time but I'm one of those lucky few that have coworkers that are cool with it and even join in every now and again. The reson for this? It's because I do damn good work regardless of how many I've had. That said, the biggest piece of advice I can give you is to be honest and good. Let everyone know you are an alcoholic but let them SEE that you function damn well despite this fact. They'll respect you for it. As long as you don't fuck up or rock the boat I find that folks will let you be. Good luck.
We aint leavin' 'till we're heavin'

Mine will be a life that no one will ever forget and that I shall never remember!

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

The monkey called it. Do good work and don't fuck up. Otherwise, your drinking will be grounds for termination, even if you would have fucked up while undrunk.

Do the Drunkard Nation proud! Work well while plowed!
like tears in rain

Malkor
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Malkor »

greygoose
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Drinking at work type thread

Post by greygoose »

Heileman wrote:I'm considering moving out East, North East to be specific (CT, RI, MA type area), and I was looking over job listings in the area and I found myself thinking, "Hmmm...which of these jobs would accomodate drinking and being productive?" Being in construction does not exactly make drinking on the job a good idea (not a good idea, but not a horrifying idea either). I was looking at a few office type jobs still within my realm of experience and wondering what the office drinking situation is like. I've never worked in any kind of really structured work environment, so I look to you all for answers. I'm sure there are some of you that have experience in this area, so please give me some advice.
If you've got construction experience you could work as an estimator for a contractor.
why is my moral compass always pointed east? that's the direction of the nearest liquor store.

ralphdog
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by ralphdog »

bartending is the way to go, keep your regulars happy and they buy you drinks.
I don't care what the people are thinkin', I ain't drunk, I'm just drinkin'.

Heileman
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Re: Drinking at work type thread

Post by Heileman »

Grey Goose wrote: If you've got construction experience you could work as an estimator for a contractor.

I was thinking about that, but seeing how many estimators we've gone through at my current place of employment, I'd rather not. It looks like a rather high pressure job where if you're good at it you make big money, but if you're not good at it, you cost the company $40,000 on a single job and you're out on your ass.

Heileman
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Heileman »

Yes, I have.
It's my bible.
Except I keep a pint o' vodka in my tool chest instead of my desk drawer.

Heileman
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Heileman »

What I'm really thinking about is something in the CAD field.
I have no formal training, but I've been doing it off and on at work for a few years, and since acquiring a copy of the program for my home computer, I've become rather adept at operating the program while intoxicated.
It seems on the nights I have no reason to leave the house, I always end up in front of the computer with alot of booze in my belly working on various drawings for work.

And yet my boss refuses to allow me some rum for my Coke...

I appreciate your insights folks, keep 'em coming.

xxx

Post by xxx »

Move to Colorado most all construction workers drink on and off the the job. It's booming here and exceptable if you can still put some hard working time in.