Smoking ban damage...

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Lifer
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Lifer »

gerald_weigel wrote:
Grey Goose wrote:
Tipsy McStagger wrote: Actually, it does. Aside from DUI, there are many heath issues related to drinking alcohol.
Not for people that don't drink. There's no such thing as second-hand buzz.
But you can die from a drunk driver even if you aren't drinking.

And if drunk driving were legal, you'd have a point, but it isn't so you don't.

And no, tipsy, Alcohol does not kill millions of people each year from the drug alone. Some people get drunk, do stupid things and die. That's not the drug killing them, that's their own bad judgement.

And to reiterate, we're talking about second hand smoke. You have the right to kill yourself, not other people.

Take the smokes outside folks.
Bundy wrote:"I say Rooster old bean! sally forth with another pair of pink gins for these jolly lovely gels and we'll see if they arent up for a spot of rumpy pumpy before we have to dash off and give Jerry another sound thrashing, what? Tally ho!"

Jukebox Johnson
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Jukebox Johnson »

OK. Here is something maybe tangentially related to second hand smoke. My sister has a condition she referrs to as 'Extreme Chemical Sensitivity'. She is hypersensitive to any sort of 'chemical' vapor or odor. The perfume and fabric softeners used by most people send her into severe respratory distress. This is not a completely hypochondriac condition, the symptoms are real. So she lives a very restricted life and eats a very restricted diet, avoiding the chance of encountering such things. I'm happy to say I don't have that problem, but even for a smoker I have a very sensative nose and can go into sneezing fits at the smell of certain perfume.

So that's my (tangantial) point. Just how much liability does an individual have for the secondary health effects of his/her personal behavior on others, and how much is it a person's own responsibility to make their own healthy choices and how much is up to the proprietor? If I have respritory distress due to your perfume, whose problem is it? To reference a Seinfield plot, what if your tits distracted me and caused a wreck? Can I sue you? The designer of the top you are wearing?
The greater our knowledge increases, the greater our ignorance unfolds.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060127/ap_ ... hand_smoke

"California became the first state to declare secondhand smoke a toxic air pollutant Thursday, putting tobacco fumes in the same category as diesel exhaust, arsenic and benzene because of its link to breast cancer."
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Heileman
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Heileman »

seeing as this is already on page 9, what I'm about to say may already be said, but I don't feel like wading through 9 pages worth of posts. but...

I honestly haven't been to a bar in Chicago since they passed the smoking ban. I've been told that it won't actually be inforced for quite a few months, but I haven't been up there anyways.

I hope that my regular's don't go out of business since I haven't been there, but there are planty of barflys to keep them open I think.

We do have one loophole built into the law that I've been looking into. Apparently, if you can make the air inside the bar as clean as the air outside the bar, you can allow smoking inside the building, which in Chicago is kind of ludicrous considering the quality of the air.

Being in the HVAC profession, I have been looking into the whole air cleaning thing and may have come up with a solution that will allow this loophole to be observed. I've been working on it for several months and while it is not yet perfected, its really fucking close.
Once it is, I will be at the patent office the next day and will become a millionaire.

Or perhaps I will trade the plans for a G&T, you never know.
The bottle doesn't make you do things, it just lets you...

When I'm not drinkin', I'm thinkin' about drinkin'

steved2112
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by steved2112 »

I'm OK with the ban. I like smoking, but I take it or leave it. When you can't smoke inside, you get to congregate with all the cool people in the smoking area. It fits well with the distraction of smoking.

whiskeyprick
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by whiskeyprick »

Shmoo wrote:The ban was effective 7/1/05 here in GA. However, as long as minors are not employed by the bar and no patrons under the age of 18 are allowed, then you can smoke away. So many bars have changed from being a familiy style bar to striclty an 18 and over crowd.
At least this is a workable comprimise and bars have a choice. It's been 18 months here in the county, no bars gone under yet, but it can get buttass cold out smoking outside at 9500ft. The bar/live music scene has definetly suffered. The statewide measure failed by 2 votes last month, so I can still smoke in Denver this weekend--WOOOHOOO!
Gambling is a disease, but it's the only one you can win a ton of money for having - Norm Macdonald

General E. Fubar
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by General E. Fubar »

steved wrote:I'm OK with the ban. I like smoking, but I take it or leave it. When you can't smoke inside, you get to congregate with all the cool people in the smoking area. It fits well with the distraction of smoking.
To say nothing about body heat, self preservation in cold climates...
"I hope you like Guinness, I find it a refreshing substitute to... food."
- O'Neill

If I stop drinking all at once, I'm afraid the cumulative hangover will kill me.
- Archer

whiskeyprick
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by whiskeyprick »

I forgot another downside:

The stench in the local is pratically unbearable without smoke covering it up.
Gambling is a disease, but it's the only one you can win a ton of money for having - Norm Macdonald