old chatroom?

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

BeerMakesMeSmart
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by BeerMakesMeSmart »

coqui_chris wrote:Hey, remember Drunk_Injun. He was a cool dude. He doesn't really post on either board anymore, though.
Yeah. Remember Omar the tentmaker? He was the best.
I'll miss you, pallie.

Modern Drunkard
Site Admin

Post by Modern Drunkard »

Lushlife wrote:
Dez wrote:
Lushlife wrote: Prior to Dan's out-of-the-blue, disparaging comments, nothing the least bit derogatory had ever been said about him over there.
There weren't any particularly disparaging comments at all. Dan_UK has made his loyalty to the MDM forum known. Good for him. Many other people have. Good for them as well.

I just don't see why it has to be one or the other. Especially when moderators are concerned.
I would say that referring to The Other Pub as "The Anti-Saloon League" (which members banned from here are "bannished" to) is derogatory. And the problem isn't an individual feeling loyalty toward a place, but rather the need to demonstrate that loyalty by making negative references to someplace else.
Do you reckon there's the possibility he might have meant it in jest? Do you really think he believes you're over there actively hatching plans to rid the world of saloons?

And, Good Christ, hasn't there been more than a few of your members demonstrating their loyalty to TOP by saying what awful fascists we are?

But here's the thing--I don't give a damn what your members say about this board. That's their right. Rage on, baby. Drunks are natural rebels (see the American Revolution).

But, for the love of booze, don't come over here and try to censor opinions with indignant browbeating.

Lushlife
Banned From the Pub
Banned From the Pub

Post by Lushlife »

Modern Drunkard wrote:
Lushlife wrote:
Modern Drunkard wrote: Sure, but this site is freestanding. There isn't even a link to MDM. Which, come to think of it, is pretty dumb.
It may be freestanding, but the gateway is the MDM site which is tied to the magazine. I am sure that that's how most people found the boards. The magazine led them to the website and the website led them to the boards. So as "freestanding" as you may view the boards, people are going to associate the board with the magazine and there will be those who will view the board as a reflection of the magazine.
It's not my fault you don't have content to draw new members. I'm not going to apologize for it.
Huh? What I was saying had absolutely NOTHING to do with drawing members to The Other Pub. I was still talking about Saturn's original statement:
"But it would be unfair to hold MDM to the same standards of open discourse as TOP, as MDM is a commercial entity and ultimately answers to the all mighty dollar(and that's fine) whereas TOP answers to no such thing."

l...
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by l... »

BeerMakesMeSmart wrote:
coqui_chris wrote:Hey, remember Drunk_Injun. He was a cool dude. He doesn't really post on either board anymore, though.
copycat!!blah!!! (i wrote the same thing last night;;))
That's what I call Drunkard justice. I hate prisses like that. They're mincing their way through life when they should be marching. ~fkr.

I wish i could find me a woman who drinks!~ruiner..on lack of women drinkers.

dez
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by dez »

Modern Drunkard wrote: Yeah, but remember, for the first three years this board was in operation there wasn't a single deleted thread. Until the Great Crash, of course, but that was indiscriminate and unintentional. TOP managed to drop the hammer in, what, six months?

As far as the current state of deletions, you may have a point. It's hard to gauge exactly what's being deleted (because they're deleted), but I'll discuss it with the mods.

And as far as the mods, I know there are those who take them to task for whatever reason, but you have to take in account it's a tough, thankless job done under extremely difficult circumstances. And sometimes, yes, while drunk. They're human, and furthermore, they're drunkards. There is always that fine balance between maintaining civility and free speech, and, as far as I can see, they've been doing a bang-up job, and I salute them and am sure to buy them a shocking amount of rounds at the next con.

Now, I know this whole discussion might smack of unnecessary aggravation to some, but it has to be addressed before it festers into something really ugly.

Instead of just good clean fun.
Thankless job my ass. They haven't spent any more time here than they would have on any given day (see Palinka...who is sorely missed, BTW). Being drunk has not a damn thing to do with any moderators abilities (unless you count Mother Goose's ability to get drunk, play with her husband's moderator abilities and change member's locations, followed by Grey Goose's apology the following morning).

You're a hand puppet on this board. An excuse for people to throw your name around and convince others that they're doing the best they can in your name. It's a damn shame. This board need not be a religion.
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
- Catherine Aird

BeerMakesMeSmart
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

liz... wrote:
BeerMakesMeSmart wrote:
LIES!!!!
I'll miss you, pallie.

Lushlife
Banned From the Pub
Banned From the Pub

Post by Lushlife »

Modern Drunkard wrote:And, Good Christ, hasn't there been more than a few of your members demonstrating their loyalty to TOP by saying what awful fascists we are?
Why is there this tendancy to globalize sentiments held and expressed about one or two specific people? It's more like the fascist moderating tendancies of one particular person. How does that morph into a collective "we"?
Last edited by Lushlife on Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

l...
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by l... »

BeerMakesMeSmart wrote:
liz... wrote:
BeerMakesMeSmart wrote: Yeah. Remember Omar the tentmaker? He was the best.
LIES!!!!
http://moderndrunkardmagazine.com/bbs/v ... hp?t=49264
That's what I call Drunkard justice. I hate prisses like that. They're mincing their way through life when they should be marching. ~fkr.

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

liz... wrote:
BeerMakesMeSmart wrote:
liz... wrote: copycat!!blah!!! (i wrote the same thing last night;;))
LIES!!!!
What about JBRaynolds? Anyone? Anyone?
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

BeerMakesMeSmart
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

liz... wrote:
BeerMakesMeSmart wrote:
liz... wrote: copycat!!blah!!! (i wrote the same thing last night;;))
LIES!!!!
Sorry. Links don't work on my computer.
I'll miss you, pallie.

Mother Goose
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mother Goose »

Dez wrote:Being drunk has not a damn thing to do with any moderators abilities (unless you count Mother Goose's ability to get drunk, play with her husband's moderator abilities and change member's locations, followed by Grey Goose's apology the following morning).
Hey, I only did this once, and it was hilarious . . . just ask Ruiner. Who DIDN'T like the word edit for Halloween=Sexytime???

dez
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by dez »

Mother Goose wrote:
Dez wrote:Being drunk has not a damn thing to do with any moderators abilities (unless you count Mother Goose's ability to get drunk, play with her husband's moderator abilities and change member's locations, followed by Grey Goose's apology the following morning).
Hey, I only did this once, and it was hilarious . . . just ask Ruiner. Who DIDN'T like the word edit for Halloween=Sexytime???
Yea. So damn funny your husband felt the need to apologize the next day. Too bad everybody wasn't in on the joke.

Look, I like you but let some of us get shit out in the open before the opportunity is gone. Especially those of us who considered outcasts for no other reason then the fact we post of TOP. We discussed this the other night, I thought.
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
- Catherine Aird

&
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by & »

king buzzo wrote:IM in this fuckin chatroom now and nobody wants to play with me.....so sad...
old chatroom sucks.

go irc. it's good for you.

BeerMakesMeSmart
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

coqui_chris wrote:
liz... wrote:
BeerMakesMeSmart wrote: LIES!!!!
What about JBRaynolds? Anyone? Anyone?
CAn we pour out a little for zin and Carls?
I'll miss you, pallie.

l...
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by l... »

and "the Lush"...i miss him too.