I just bought a Bukowski biography

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

I just bought a Bukowski biography

Post by coqui_chris »

Charles Bukowski by Barry Miles.

I wasn't previously aware that there was a biography of him done. I found it by accident when looking for a copy of Love Is a Dog from Hell

So I bought it. My only apprehension is that this author, Barry Miles, is the "celebrated author of Jack Keroac: King of the Beats." I chaff so much when scholars or Beat-junkies try to lump Bukowski in with them b/c he happened to be a poet, he happened to be an outsider, and he happened to be an iconoclast. He had absolutely no affiliation with the Beats, wasn't a subscriber to their peace-meal paint-by-numbers psedo-philosophies, matter of fact he scoffed at most of this optimism.

Regardless, I'm excited to read this.

From the foreward:
In rereading Hank's books for this biography I found that his work was still fresh, it has not dated, it goes straight to the point. He gave a voice to the disenfranchised, the marginalised, the mad and dysfunctional, the factory hand, the working people, the drunk and disorderly. He made a point of always trying to write clearly so that people knew exactly what he was saying. He did not use a dictionary. He avoided long words and tried to use the easiest, simplest words possible. He told Jean-Francois Duval: 'I like it raw, easy and simple. That way, I don't lie to myself.' In other words, he told the truth.
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

Dr. Dotto S. Blotto
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Dr. Dotto S. Blotto »

Love me some Bukowski. I acquired "Notes of a Dirty Old Man" from a drunk at the Euclid Tavern. She said to me, "you look like a person who can appreciate Bukowski." I'm pretty sure I passed that book on to another drunk somewhere at a bar, cuz it ain't at home...

&
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by & »

bukowski was a fucking genius

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

I like Bukowski, but I'm a fan of some of the Beat stuff too. Man.
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

I always judge a bookstore by how much Bukowski and WS Burroughs that they have.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

&
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by & »

GinSoakedGirl wrote:I like Bukowski, but I'm a fan of some of the Beat stuff too. Man.

::snaps::

Dr. Dotto S. Blotto
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Dr. Dotto S. Blotto »

your avatar is hypnotizing me, &

hoverdog
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by hoverdog »

I've a long term project to read everything Bukowski wrote. I like bluebird.
The last thing that anyone should ever do is feel ashamed of blacking out. You were trying to get drunk last night and, goddamnit, mission accomplished.

bluebottle
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by bluebottle »

buk never affiliated himself with kerouac, ginsberg, snyder et al. far as i remember, neelie cherkovsky's bio of him was the first to come out, then others followed. i read barry miles' bio, but i would recommend reading his "letter" books if you want some real insight into the man - bmms sent me beerspit and cursing, which is a great read, and i love both volumes of screams from the balcony.

liquor&poker
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by liquor&poker »

Dude pretty much wrote a bunch of shit that might be interesting to a 10th grader.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

So it's above your level of reading...
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

liquor&poker

Post by liquor&poker »

Frankennietzsche wrote:So it's above your level of reading...
For the record, I should be credited with an assist on that one.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Agreed.

*clink*

Or should I say:

&
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by & »

Dotto Blotto wrote:your avatar is hypnotizing me, &
believe in the tigers....believe.....

Fred O'Lisby
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Fred O'Lisby »

I saw barfly for the first time last week. Haven't really read any of his work, as most of my reading is for classes. That movie kicks ass though.
Earlie Cuyler: Allow me to explain the contamination process. Pine cones go in here, party liquors comes out here and proceed to here.
[points to mouth]
Earlie Cuyler: Fights begin, finger prints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.