I am currently making moonshine.

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Vuh_Jay_Jay
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

I am currently making moonshine.

Post by Vuh_Jay_Jay »

17 pounds of sugar plus one packet of yeast and nutrient makes five gallons of horrible 17% beer, which I then boil in a still and extract into almost one gallon of 180 proof white lightning.

It's at least as pure as your average vodka.

Then, I make any number of boozes out of the lightnin. Today, I took a bag of frozen black cherries and tossed it into a blender and covered it in 80-proof lightning, and blended it into a fine froth and let it sit on the windowsill for a day. Now, I have the best black cherry vodka on the planet. Deeeee liscious.

Supposedly, Trader Joe's is going to have frozen peach slices in stock again this week. Well, I have a batch coming due this weekend, so I guess I'll have some peach vodka handy next week. Mmmm!

It costs me about $1.50 to make a fifth of vodka with the still, and maybe $2.00 to make a fifth of infused vodka. This is frankly the best value and return on investment any Drunkard can make.

I may make a lemon/lime/grapefruit vodka next week as well. That one's making my panties all foamy fo SHO!
See them fellas with the cardboard signs? Scrapin up a little money to buy a bottle of wine
Pregnant women and Vietnam vets, I said drinkin on the freeway bout as hard as it gets

douger
Banned From the Pub
Banned From the Pub

Post by douger »

Rock on, sounds like a great set up.

douger 2.0
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by douger 2.0 »

Try running some in a combustion engine.

Vuh_Jay_Jay
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Vuh_Jay_Jay »

maddogg wrote:Try running some in a combustion engine.
You mean you would set perfectly good vodka on fire just to get from one place to another?

I think that constitutes alcohol abuse.
See them fellas with the cardboard signs? Scrapin up a little money to buy a bottle of wine
Pregnant women and Vietnam vets, I said drinkin on the freeway bout as hard as it gets

steved2112
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by steved2112 »

If you persist in your efforts

you will achieve dream control

dream control

dream control

dream control
I feel like I;' Typing down hill.
-F. Sott Blitzedgerald

billybill
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by billybill »

can you imagine the wonders of making something like that with stolen/found sugar packets?
that's a lot of nearly free booze.
and there are plenty of places we could get the yeast from ;0
Silly Rabbit, tripping is for teenagers, murder is for murderers and hard drugs are for bartenders.

Taz
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Taz »

can you post a pic of yur still? Did you make it yourself? I"ve made beer and wine but never distilled anything, that could be fun!
Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

You realize that you are admitting to a federal crime.

Just saying, is all...
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Vuh_Jay_Jay
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Vuh_Jay_Jay »

Taz wrote:can you post a pic of yur still? Did you make it yourself? I"ve made beer and wine but never distilled anything, that could be fun!

I bought mine, and it has paid for itself several times over. Another couple of days and I'm going to squeeze 16 fifths of very good vodka out of one very large batch of absolutely horrible beer.

I consider this to be a good thing.

My latest recipe is to take a bag of frozen dark cherries and toss it in a blender, cover with shine, and blend. Set concoction on a windowsill for a week, strain through cheese cloth, and then run through a coffee filter. Dilute to 80 proof and add two limes' worth of juice, and that my friends is a Drink.

It's much easier than brewing beer. Everything with beer has to be clean/sterile, and it's just not the case with distillation. No big deal. If your bucket is dirty it doesn't matter. The alcohol boils off and is collected in a clean container and you're good to go. Plus, alcohol at that concentration is a disinfectant...

Malkor
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Malkor »

Thats still is fucking beautiful!....really! how much/where from??

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

A tedious way to get a buzz. Also ATF dissaproved, not that I'm on the side of the Yankee revenuers.

Sugar is cheap, but the heat source for boiling down all that wort isn't free, and your time isn't either. If you are making minimum wage you need less time to score a fifth of Everclear than you are doing this.

Still, (you should pardon the expression) it is a good way to exert some pride of ownership in your drunkeness and a very American hobby.

I salute you, patriot!

jonnyswagger
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by jonnyswagger »

since I'm the resident drunk balladeer, this is appropriate for this thread:

Moonshiner (traditional, IE, older than dirt):
I've been a moonshiner For seventeen long years
And I spent all my money On whiskey and beer
I'll go to some hollow And set up my still
I'll make you one gallon for two dollar bills

And I go to some barroom To drink with my friends
Where women can't follow To see what I spend
God bless those women I wish they was mine
With breath as sweet as The dew on the vine

I'll eat when I'm hungry and drink when I'm dry
and if the moonshine don't kill me I'll live till I die
God Bless those moonshiners I wish they were mine
Their breath smells as sweet as the good old moonshine

I might go to heaven, I might go to hell
till I meet my maker who knows where I'll dwell
if he likes jug whiskey I'll live in the sky
up on the mountain with some sweet moonshine.

I know there are many versions of this, but this is the one we perform. I've thought about getting a still myself, actually.

rat bastard
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by rat bastard »

im pretty sure its not illegal so long as he doesnt sell it. my grandma's family during prohibition used to make their own beer and wine, but didnt sell it. the police went through their house a few times, and they never once got in trouble for it.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

The ATF wrote:Spirits
You cannot produce spirits for beverage purposes without paying taxes and without prior approval of paperwork to operate a distilled spirits plant. [See 26 U.S.C. 5601 & 5602 for some of the criminal penalties.] There are numerous requirements that must be met that make it impractical to produce spirits for personal or beverage use. Some of these requirements are paying special tax, filing an extensive application, filing a bond, providing adequate equipment to measure spirits, providing suitable tanks and pipelines, providing a separate building (other than a dwelling) and maintaining detailed records, and filing reports. All of these requirements are listed in 27 CFR Part 19.

Spirits may be produced for nonbeverage purposes for fuel use only without payment of tax, but you also must file an application, receive ATF's approval, and follow requirements, such as construction, use, records and reports.

http://www.atf.gov/alcohol/info/faq/genalcohol.htm#g1

http://www.atf.gov/alcohol/info/faq/
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Hoppy
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Hoppy »

it is illegal, but its very tough to enforce unless your out in the open, in suburbia. cause trust me, you can smell it a mile away. :) or if your out there selling it. elsewise no way for it to really be enforced

oh and the BATFE is the worst government agency EVER.
Fueled By Bourbon