but will it fall out of my head?

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

Gin McGuinness
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

but will it fall out of my head?

Post by Gin McGuinness »

Beer shrinks your brain
May 03, 2007 12:00
news.com.au

DRINKING around 10 schooners of beer a week can make your brain shrink, scientists have warned.

Research has shown that consuming less than two schooners a day can cut the size of your grey matter – and the more you drink, the smaller it gets.

Just two glasses of wine a day is enough to cause shrinkage more normally associated with the ageing process.

The study, which compared the drinking habits and brain size of almost 2000 people, also revealed that women are more vulnerable to alcohol's effects on the brain.

The researchers, from Wellesley College in Massachusetts, used brain scans to work out the size of the brain of 1839 middle-aged and elderly men and women.

Some of the volunteers were teetotal, while others were classified as either low drinkers, consuming up to seven drinks a week, moderate drinkers, who got through eight to 14 drinks, or high drinkers with more than 14 drinks.

The study did not take into account the size of the drinks, so a pint of beer was classed as one drink, as was a glass of wine or one of spirits.

The results from the scans were compared with the men and women's drinking habits.

This showed a clear link between alcohol and brain size, with the biggest brains belonging to the nondrinkers and the smallest to the heaviest drinkers.

The amount of shrinkage steadily increased with the amount drunk, with the heavy drinkers having brains that were 1.6 per cent smaller than the teetotallers.

During the normal process of ageing, the death of brain cells leads to shrinkage of just 0.19 per cent per year.

Women, long-term drinkers and the elderly proved particularly vulnerable to the damaging effects of alcohol.

The study, presented at the American Academy of Neurology's annual conference, did not look in depth at how the damage varied over time.

Nor did it look at whether people were physically affected by the change, or whether effects on brain size were permanent.

Previous studies have shown that killing off brain cells with alcohol can lead to memory loss, confusion and problems with co-ordination.

Shrinking the brain increases the risk of epileptic fits, while heavy drinking can cause dementia.

However, in moderate amounts, alcohol can be good for health.

Studies have shown that it can cut the risk of heart disease and extend life expectancy, with red wine proving particularly beneficial.
"Personally I prefer the buzz between 'all is good and well in the universe with this glass' drunk and 'IM A FUCKING VIKING!' drunk." Impish Boozehound

Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by **** »

heavy drinking can cause dementia.
yes. yes it can.

NotKeith
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Re: but will it fall out of my head?

Post by NotKeith »

Gin McGuinness wrote:
– and the more you drink, the smaller it gets.
Yes, yes it does.
It is a good rule in life never to apologize, the right sort of people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean advantage of them. ~ P.G. Wodehouse

I like my women like I like my coffee... covered in BEES!!!!

Fred O'Lisby
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Fred O'Lisby »

Korsakoff's syndrome, here I come.
Earlie Cuyler: Allow me to explain the contamination process. Pine cones go in here, party liquors comes out here and proceed to here.
[points to mouth]
Earlie Cuyler: Fights begin, finger prints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

What the hell? At the beginning it says that 2 glasses of wine is bad, but at the end is says wine is good for you.

Also, their "scientific" method sucks.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

douger
Banned From the Pub
Banned From the Pub

Post by douger »

Well, the human brain is still a mysterious and poorly understood organ. As a fan of medical science, as far as I know the brain is an electro-chemical reactor of sorts. The last I heard it contains 1.4 million (and counting) chemicals and can light up a 15 watt light bulb.

And we are born with 4 to 5 billion brain cells and start losing them at birth. And it is true that we actually use maybe more than 10% of our brains during normal function. This is verified by some extreme brain maladies, such as hydrocephalus, where much of the inner portion of the brain can be rendered pretty much not useful.

And I had a classmate with said hydrocephalus in the sixties that was at the top of his class, in sciences, math, and literature. We all called him pineapple head. Because we all felt inferior to his blazing intellect.

Also known about the brain is the ability for it to replace damaged synapses with new neural pathways. The brain improvises with effective results.

All the more reason to disregard this study and remain a rationalized drunkard.
"In the U.S., you have to be a deviant or die or boredom."

"I don't mind people disliking me. The question is, what are they in a position to do about it?"

-William S. Burroughs

l...
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by l... »

douger wrote:Well, the human brain is still a mysterious and poorly understood organ. As a fan of medical science, as far as I know the brain is an electro-chemical reactor of sorts. The last I heard it contains 1.4 million (and counting) chemicals and can light up a 15 watt light bulb.

And we are born with 4 to 5 billion brain cells and start losing them at birth. And it is true that we actually use maybe more than 10% of our brains during normal function. This is verified by some extreme brain maladies, such as hydrocephalus, where much of the inner portion of the brain can be rendered pretty much not useful.

And I had a classmate with said hydrocephalus in the sixties that was at the top of his class, in sciences, math, and literature. We all called him pineapple head. Because we all felt inferior to his blazing intellect.

Also known about the brain is the ability for it to replace damaged synapses with new neural pathways. The brain improvises with effective results.

you had me at PINEAPPLE HEAD.
That's what I call Drunkard justice. I hate prisses like that. They're mincing their way through life when they should be marching. ~fkr.

I wish i could find me a woman who drinks!~ruiner..on lack of women drinkers.

&
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by & »

beer?

brain?

wha?

Fred O'Lisby
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Fred O'Lisby »

douger wrote:Well, the human brain is still a mysterious and poorly understood organ. As a fan of medical science, as far as I know the brain is an electro-chemical reactor of sorts. The last I heard it contains 1.4 million (and counting) chemicals and can light up a 15 watt light bulb.

It's not that poorly understood. I think the old 10% myth comes from the fact that only 10% of brain cells are neurons. The other 90% are glial cells that support neuronal funtioning. Alot of the grey matter loss we experience in early childhood and adolescence is the result on neuronal pruning, which is intentional and improves effeciency. Anyway, there is still alot that we don't know, but taking a clinical neuroscience class will make you appreciate how much we do know.
Earlie Cuyler: Allow me to explain the contamination process. Pine cones go in here, party liquors comes out here and proceed to here.
[points to mouth]
Earlie Cuyler: Fights begin, finger prints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.

lanternchikk
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by lanternchikk »

liz... wrote: Image
Those eyes disturb me.
Die Götter sind besoffen, der Olymp ist vollgekotzt.

lanternchikk
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Re: but will it fall out of my head?

Post by lanternchikk »

Gin McGuinness wrote:but will it fall out of my head?
Yes, it eventually will.
Die Götter sind besoffen, der Olymp ist vollgekotzt.

Post by ***** »

Fred O'Lisby wrote:Korsakoff's syndrome, here I come.
Not if you eat enough p'ok.

G_W
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by G_W »

Just don't plug your nose when you sneeze.
steved wrote:Proof is just information.
"We're all in a freak show. It's called life. Buy a ticket and enjoy the ride." - Foamy the Squirrel

Kegdrainer
Self-Imposed Exile
Self-Imposed Exile

Post by Kegdrainer »

a whopping 1.6% more shrinkage?

im really worried now
And super heroes come to feast. To taste the flesh not yet deceased and all I know is still the beast is feeding.