How to be less obvious at work the next morning?

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

scotchphd
Souse
Souse

How to be less obvious at work the next morning?

Post by scotchphd »

I'm not talking about hangovers here...I often find (and some friends have commented to me) that after a heavy night of drinking which lets say ends at 1-2 am, they can still smell the booze on me in the morning when I go to work. My drink of choice is usually whiskey, burboun, sometimes vodka or gin...

Now, I drink lots of water, brush my teeth before bed, in the morning several times, and chew gum, etc...etc...but I still feel very consious at work about people being able to smell it on me...

Does anyone have any tips or innovative solutions to this?

cheers,

Leftboston
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Location: Queen Creek, before there was mexicans We had German POWs working farms

Post by Leftboston »

I would would take the other approach and dab a little bourbon on EVERY day so you always have that fresh Kentucky scent.

JohnnyT

Post by JohnnyT »

carry an onion in your shirt pocket.

Leftboston
Location: Queen Creek, before there was mexicans We had German POWs working farms

Post by Leftboston »

JohnnyTequila wrote:carry an onion in your shirt pocket.
And a cucumber in your pant pocket. No one will notice the smell.

greygoose
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by greygoose »

Pickled garlic.
why is my moral compass always pointed east? that's the direction of the nearest liquor store.

scotchphd
Souse
Souse

Post by scotchphd »

lol- ok, aside from the cucumber, onion and garlic, are there any serious suggestions? lol

someone out there must have found a genuine solution to this problem...

Bigfoot
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Bigfoot »

Start drinking Listerine. Problem solved.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Eat curry, garlic or onion laden food. That will overwhelm the stench. If it's your breath, eat peanut butter.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Rob
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Rob »

scotchphd wrote:lol- ok, aside from the cucumber, onion and garlic, are there any serious suggestions? lol

someone out there must have found a genuine solution to this problem...
Start smoking.

Veritas
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Veritas »

The smell is probably coming through your pores, not out your mouth, hence why what you're trying hasn't worked. The most effective cure is probably a nasty, strong cologne. You'll smell like a cheap man-whore but no one will smell the booze off you. Alternatively I'm cold cough crops are good for this sort of situation.
Pour me another,
Oh don't wag your finger at me..
-Imogen Heap

cloud8
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by cloud8 »

Veritas wrote:The smell is probably coming through your pores, not out your mouth, hence why what you're trying hasn't worked. The most effective cure is probably a nasty, strong cologne. You'll smell like a cheap man-whore but no one will smell the booze off you. Alternatively I'm cold cough crops are good for this sort of situation.
The fragrance of Gin in particular oozes from the early morning pores. Everyone can smell it. You could lay off the Gin on work nights, but I prefer jogging a few miles before work to sweat it out.
"Never apologise for being in the Bourbon aisle."
--Smatter Noguts

Dammit All
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Dammit All »

the suggestion about cheap cologn is a dead give away as well...I either eat something VERY garlicy or spicey for breakfast or just think of a really good excuse and pre-ept any chatter with "you guys will never guess what happened last night!"

Once you get to the part about the midget strippers everyone forgets about the smell...or just understands why you just couldnt go home at a repectable hour.

Or...I just came across Icebreakers liquid gel mints that seem to do a pretty good job on the breath

Something else Ive done to is peppermint schnapps right before I leave for work.
You look like I need a drink.

scotchphd
Souse
Souse

Post by scotchphd »

all good suggestions...keep em coming. Part of the problem might be that due to my living situation, I really can't do much heavy drinking early in the evening, so most of the consumption occurs late in the evening...also, I'm not a big breakfast eater either....

I haven't noticed anything from my pores...its mostly my breath and also my eyes (red/puffy/swollen)...I tried expting with eye drops during the night but has not done a very good job.

I love to be able to drink as much as I want on work nights but I just dont want it to be so obvious when I walk in in the morning, due to the nature of my work...

Sigh Co.
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Sigh Co. »

junkman wrote:I would would take the other approach and dab a little bourbon on EVERY day so you always have that fresh Kentucky scent.
This is the approach I'd go with. Pretty soon your coworkers will worry when you don't come in reeking of booze.

Realistically, the dark liquors tend to come out in sweat a little more pungent for me, so I usually have them early in the evening, then switch off to vodka.
"My manners, abominable at times, can be sweet. As I grew older I became a drunk. Why? Because I like ecstasy of the mind. I'm a wretch. But I love love."
-Jack Kerouac

Rob
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Rob »

Well that could help, but switching to vodka after bourbon seems like having a nice steak and then start munching lettuce for the rest of the evening. A bit of an anti-climax. The jogging/exercise thing is probably the best advice, as it keeps you healthy too. Beautiful Kerouac quote by the way, sighco.