Pacing question regarding weddings

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

rollo
Booze Head
Booze Head

Pacing question regarding weddings

Post by rollo »

So tomorrow is one of my best friends'es (friendseses? friends's?) wedding. I'm in the wedding. This is gonna be the first wedding I've been to since I've become a drunkard...now my question to eveyrone is do they have any pacing tips? I'll be drinking from 10am to at LEAST 2am, so any thoughts on how to maintain a good natural glow and not burn myself out?
<i>"Let's drink to the hard workin people...let's drink to the Salt Of The Earth..."</i><Br>
<i>-The Rolling Stones</i>

BeerMakesMeSmart
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by BeerMakesMeSmart »

Drink as fast as you can.
I'll miss you, pallie.

Mother Goose
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mother Goose »

yeah, BMMS doesn't particularly give good advice.

Beer early . . . don't switch to hard liquor until after the ceremony and pictures, unless you want to get in deep shit with the bride.

"DC is a toilet. And it needs a good flush." ~ Weatherman

Drunkard Chat bot sez: fiyah: i'm picturing wasabi oozing out of her parents, and im at a good pace if you have to do this cheap as fuck. but drunkards need to unite

Sigh Co.
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Sigh Co. »

EVERYONE loves a good drunk at a wedding: do your best to be that drunk!
"My manners, abominable at times, can be sweet. As I grew older I became a drunk. Why? Because I like ecstasy of the mind. I'm a wretch. But I love love."
-Jack Kerouac

The Pooba
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by The Pooba »

My $.02:
#1- flask. Just in case.
B- If you're the best man or have another relevant function in the wedding, you need to stay undrunk enough to perform duties such as making a speech, so take it slow until you're relieved of responsibility. Usually this is a little while into the reception, so you're not deprived for too long. If all you have to do is walk a bridesmaid down an aisle and stand around for a while, then you're free to be a little more liberal with the hooch before the nuptials.
#3- in this case, I don't buy that "beer early..." philosophy. One of my favorite weddings was one in which I was the best man and the groom and I polished off most of a bottle of a Grey Goose before the ceremony. He did fine on the vows, albeit a little weepy, and I wasn't too drunk to give an improvised speech (in fact I was complimented for my loquaciousness afterwards).
D- If you're getting a little more tipsy than you should be, feel free to Dino for an hour. Drink a little water or juice. In fact, drink some water once in a while anyway; your day is a marathon, not a sprint.
#5- Once you get into the guts of the reception its just like any other good session, you're just more well dressed (if you're single, feel free to take advantage of this BTW. In the immortal words of Billy Gibbons, every girl crazy about a sharp dressed man). Don't be afraid to press the boundaries at this point. Get a little liquored up, hit on the cute bridesmaid, have a good time. Worst case scenario, you'll end up known as the guy who puked after the wedding and passed out early, and there's a good story about you.

Rip Rufus
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway
Location: On the border of Pineys Everywhere and Gaudy Summer Homes. Not far from Ghetto in the Woods.

Post by Rip Rufus »

When I was a groom for my buddy, we were drinking before the ceremony. Even the priest (Catholic wedding) had a little nip from one of our flasks. But after the pre-game for the service, we all switched to beer, and made it through to the end of the night.

My advice is to catch a little buzz early, maintain with beer, EAT AT THE RECEPTION (caps for emphasis), then switch to your usual drink of choice. And make sure to seduce a bridesmaid.
"You know, you remind me of a poem I can't remember, and a song that may never have existed, and a place I'm not sure I've ever been to." - A.J.S.

Mother Goose
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mother Goose »

Both Pooba and Rufus give good, sage advice. Heed it, unless you want to get in DEEP SHIT with the missus.

Drunkard Chat bot sez: fiyah: i'm picturing wasabi oozing out of her parents, and im at a good pace if you have to do this cheap as fuck. but drunkards need to unite

The Pooba
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by The Pooba »

Rip Rufus wrote:EAT AT THE RECEPTION (caps for emphasis), then switch to your usual drink of choice.
Good call, I forgot that. From 10am to 2pm there should be 1-2 instances of food in there.

&
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by & »

start drinking when you wake up. take a flask to the church. drink as much as you can when you get to the reception. never get married.

in that order.

BeerMakesMeSmart
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by BeerMakesMeSmart »

Mother Goose wrote:yeah, BMMS doesn't particularly give good advice.
I saved Mayhem from herpes. Twice!
I'll miss you, pallie.

l...
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by l... »

& wrote:start drinking when you wake up. take a flask to the church. drink as much as you can when you get to the reception. never get married.

in that order.
have we been adding BITTERS to our drinks this evening?
i still should have gone to the goose wedding.
i would've been quite classy and eloquent. :)
That's what I call Drunkard justice. I hate prisses like that. They're mincing their way through life when they should be marching. ~fkr.

I wish i could find me a woman who drinks!~ruiner..on lack of women drinkers.

Hosehead
Souse
Souse

Post by Hosehead »

If you part of the wedding then whoever your there for has legally only a set period of time (I believe 6 months) they can be pissed at you as a friend before forgiveness. Likely your friends of the groom so it depends if you actually like the bride and also please make sure you don't get the groom so trashed he cant give the bride a good poking for the wedding night. Thats just wrong.

rollo
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by rollo »

The Pooba wrote:My $.02:
#1- flask. Just in case.

Already got it! I was very pleased that the bride and groom got the entire wedding party flasks with their initials on it as gifts...so it bodes well. Also it was already full with Wild Turkey!
<i>"Let's drink to the hard workin people...let's drink to the Salt Of The Earth..."</i><Br>
<i>-The Rolling Stones</i>

Mother Goose
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mother Goose »

liz... wrote:
& wrote:start drinking when you wake up. take a flask to the church. drink as much as you can when you get to the reception. never get married.

in that order.
have we been adding BITTERS to our drinks this evening?
i still should have gone to the goose wedding.
i would've been quite classy and eloquent. :)
You were invited, I'm still mad you didn't show. :) You & TOny were supposed to come.

The Pooba
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by The Pooba »

Excellent, off to a good start. Looks a little small though, I recommend at least a 9 oz. flask. Additionally, WT is one of the absolute best flask whiskeys out there. I mean, my favorite bourbon is Pappy Van Winkle, but I'm not putting in a flask. WT, WT Rye, and WT Russel's Reserve rank among the best flask whiskeys, up there with Weller Antique 107, Knob Creek, Rittenhouse bonded rye, Old Granddad, and Elijah Craig.