Poor and happy, or middle class and insane?

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

Happy!
71%
Money!
29%

Total votes: 17

waahoohah
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Location: http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/ ... a_flag.png

Post by waahoohah »

Here's the thing. I have just been offered a promotion. It's not that much more work, and it's roughly 1.5 times the money I'm making now.

But it means I have to be at work, ready to go, at 5 every morning. That, and it means dealing with our customers, which will surely drive me crazy.

What do you think?
"Beginner's luck is only possible if you try."

-Lee Harvey Oswald

Sleestack
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: Poor and happy, or middle class and insane?

Post by Sleestack »

waahoohah wrote:Here's the thing. I have just been offered a promotion. It's not that much more work, and it's roughly 1.5 times the money I'm making now.

But it means I have to be at work, ready to go, at 5 every morning. That, and it means dealing with our customers, which will surely drive me crazy.

What do you think?
Dude...go for the cash...You can always calm down with your friend "Liquor" after work. AND you will have even more money to spend on your friend!!

Actually 5:00am isn't really all that bad. You can do it!!
I've been unavoidably detained by my complete lack of punctuality.

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

Money can buy you the best booze and wine, food, travel to exotic locations, blow and $5,000 / hr. hookers.

That may not make you happy, but it would me.

danger awesome
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by danger awesome »

As a general question, i would always pick happiness over money. As long as i'm never struggling to pay bills, buy booze/food and have money for a night or two out a week with friends, i'll be satisfied.

In your case:

FIVE AM?!

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND SIR?!

Seriously. It's dark at that time of the morning for a reason. You're supposed to be asleep. Do something you can get up at 8am at the very earliest for i say.

Screwball
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Location: A half foot away from a cat's nutsack. I Gotta get the DevilKat Fixed!

Post by Screwball »

This is actually a difficult situation.
Pro: More money is allways good. Getting to work early means(most of the time) getting out of work early.
Con: Dealing with the scurvy bastards called "customers" will cause you to grind your teeth, drink more, and not believe in a Supreme Being.

So, if ya get enough more money to pay for a dentist, more Booze, and don't mind rotting in Hell, then take the promotion.

But what do I know, just get drunk, flip a coin, ignore what the coin says, take the promotion, and figure out how to work less.

It's the American Way.

MethFront
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by MethFront »

I'm confused... where's the option for 'plotting to eradicate all of existence*"?
Be safe everyone.

waahoohah
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Location: http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/ ... a_flag.png

Post by waahoohah »

methfront wrote:I'm confused... where's the option for 'plotting to eradicate all of existence*"?
That comes at four every morning, which is when I will, at the very latest, have to wake up if I take this job.
"Beginner's luck is only possible if you try."

-Lee Harvey Oswald

Screwball
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Location: A half foot away from a cat's nutsack. I Gotta get the DevilKat Fixed!

Post by Screwball »

methfront wrote:I'm confused... where's the option for 'plotting to eradicate all of existence*"?
That was D: 'become a Watchtower Delivery Person', Gooooo Jehovha!

Gin McGuinness
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Gin McGuinness »

Sonic Screwball wrote:
That was D: 'become a Watchtower Delivery Person', Gooooo Jehovha!
No way! When I was delivering I didn't start until 1600!

waahoohah - darling, do this: Take the job - if you don't like it, find something else. Getting up early is a pain in the ass but if you're on your own, you don't have to worry about waking someone else. Rise, rant and repeat until you find yourself with a travel mug of coffee in one hand and the other on the steering wheel. The commute will be lovely as hardly anyone would be up as early as you.
"Personally I prefer the buzz between 'all is good and well in the universe with this glass' drunk and 'IM A FUCKING VIKING!' drunk." Impish Boozehound

MethFront
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by MethFront »

(edited because this was one of my most obnoxious posts ever and no one should ever have to read that.
Be safe everyone.

Screwball
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Screwball »

Holy Smokes, Gin! Please tell me you are a Disfellowship. If you are, Girlfriend and you will get along just fine. She HATES the Jehovah Witnesses. I was raised White Trash Cannibal so I have no idea what you all are talking about.

Gin McGuinness
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Gin McGuinness »

Sonic Screwball wrote:Holy Smokes, Gin! Please tell me you are a Disfellowship. If you are, Girlfriend and you will get along just fine. She HATES the Jehovah Witnesses. I was raised White Trash Cannibal so I have no idea what you all are talking about.
May 1995 - I was disfellowshiped for living with my husband-to-be only 2 months prior to our wedding. I went before the elders, said there's no reason not to try on the product before I take it long term and that I wasn't sorry I did. They asked me not to come back. I could have pressed it after we were married but since Mr McG was atheist, liked to smoke lots of pot and had such a good time without going to the Hall, I found myself not wanting to go anymore. 12 years later and many college religion courses later.... I'm still not fussed about leaving or what may happen after I'm dead.
"Personally I prefer the buzz between 'all is good and well in the universe with this glass' drunk and 'IM A FUCKING VIKING!' drunk." Impish Boozehound

Slackjawd
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Slackjawd »

Piss on the cash. If you're not starving and your gut stays full of booze, you're doing all that's expected of you. Time and a half ain't all it's cracked up to be if it's affecting your chi.

ruiner
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by ruiner »

think of all the cats you could buy!!
You see in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

Ha! I invited in a Jahovah's (spelling? I'm goin to hell anyway) Witness in to my house about 20 years ago on a sunday morning after he knocked on my door with a tract, I had on a bathrobe and was hung over, so excused myself and came back with a beer, offered him one.
I talked with him for a few minutes, told him I'd be right back and went back to bed.
I don't feel bad about it.