The Shrimp Festival

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

GetDrunkStayDrunk
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

The Shrimp Festival

Post by GetDrunkStayDrunk »

So in town this weekend was the annual shrimp festival, while that might not sound like a drinkers paradise, it definitely was.

First off, the greatest thing was there was no open container law in the park in town, which is where there's a string of 6 bars.
There were beer tents set up in the park along with the shrimp vendors, I stayed away from those things though. They only had Budweiser and Bud Light, and you had to buy tickets to buy beer, retarded, I don't want tickets, I want beer.
However, for the resturangts and bars to attact attention inside to their food and drink, they had happy hour prices all day.

Of course the shrimp was great too, this town is huge on its local shrimp. In fact, the scenes in Forrest Gump where they're out on the shrimping boat were filmed here. So they go all out. It's not to big a town, so on a typical saturday night you might see 1000 people between the six bars, but last night there were over 4000 people out enjoying shrimp, music, and booze.

I got there about 2 in the afternoon, enjoyed being able to walk around outside with drinks in hand, sampled some shrimp, drank some more, soaked up the sun since it was a comfortable 75 degrees.

Anyone else have similar type festivals? We have another one like this in the spring. And in December we have "A night on the town" The streets get closed off, there's music and people dancing on the main drag. Of course plenty of drinking as well.

Bluespook
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: The Shrimp Festival

Post by Bluespook »

Man, i can eat my body weight in shrimp, i love that shit. Steamed with some Old Bay, i could eat that all day long. We have a strawberry festival, lots of strawberry type drinks, but the bars are open until around 4, normally 2, and it's kinda like that. The cops are cool as hell, so long as you don't get too stupid, and people walk around drinking in the street. I prefer class reuninion night though in my little town, same thing, bars have exteneded hours, you can go uptown to the 2 bars, drink till 4, and get no hassles from The Man.
Beer's just being social. Whiskey's drinkin'.

GetDrunkStayDrunk
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by GetDrunkStayDrunk »

The police were definitely out in force. We have a smoking ban now here in SC, although my local there has just said fuck the law and lets anyone light up. I thought they might not allow it with such a police presence, but to my delight I could still sit in there and smoke.

Malkor
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Malkor »

I like smoking in bars..thats why I like holland, no smoking ban, only 36 more weeks till I hit the streets of eindhoven again........

cornbread714
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by cornbread714 »

Malkor wrote:I like smoking in bars..thats why I like holland, no smoking ban, only 36 more weeks till I hit the streets of eindhoven again........
I hate to be the one to break it to you, dude:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/eur ... 30,00.html
Live like a pig, die like a dog

"Everyone sleeps before I do. Sometimes I do not know what to do with myself; then the trouble begins."
-Savage

BeerMakesMeSmart
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by BeerMakesMeSmart »

SCRIMP!
I'll miss you, pallie.

Cowboy Joe
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Cowboy Joe »

Sounds awesome. SC is one my favorite states to hang out it, good food and drinks, and the people are cool.

KaosDad
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by KaosDad »

Any event that has "<food> Festival " in the title is gonna be freaking awesome. Especially if the <food> is some sort of beef, pork, poulty, shellfish or seafood.