Drinking vs sleep

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

EGad987
Booze Head
Booze Head

Re: Drinking vs sleep

Post by EGad987 »

I can't fall asleep undrunk very well. Or drunk. I've been drinking for about 8 hours and I'm not ready to finish. However if I go to sleep undrunk the only way I can get to sleep is with the pills the VA prescribed me, which give me terrible nightmares and hallucinations. But they test me for drugs and booze when I go in. I never really have drugs in my system, but if there is any booze they want me to do a 40 hour a week rehab program. So I can get more pills that make me feel worse than a few beers. I don't freaking think so. So I sleep when I can. Some times it's 12 hours in a day sometimes it's 20 minutes.

As long as you take care of business why does it matter if you don't get exactly 8 hours of sleep a day?

deaddog
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by deaddog »

Are we talking about sleep deprivation or the effects of a hangover? This is my take on it: I sleep more when drinking because of the effects of the hangover. My hangovers are massive tiredness and lack of motivation, so after struggling at work all day I will sleep as soon as I get home something I will not do if no hangover is present. So the bottom line is, for me, drinking makes me sleep more but I am more tired than when abstaining. Now that’s a bad word: ABSTAINING Ahhhhhhhhh
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Red
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Red »

Take a night off if you're feeling the effects. Sleep will take care of itself. Try and kick your boots off before you pass out for additional style points. Passing out ON the bed suggests that you're in control of your drinking.

hoverdog
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by hoverdog »

What if it's the wrong bed?
The last thing that anyone should ever do is feel ashamed of blacking out. You were trying to get drunk last night and, goddamnit, mission accomplished.

Riddeford
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Riddeford »

Drank a lot last night. Hungover at work, went out, wired when I got home so I'm drinking a lot of beers. I will be hungover again at the office tomorrow but I will probably sleep a bit tonight...but i rarely sleep in general. So I hope someone posts a hangover thread tomorrow because I can relate every day..
"This lifestyle isn't for pussies." - Fabric

Riddeford: I'm craving indian food. WTF?
Fiyah: Fuck curry. We're doing shots and do them NOW

<@Veen> First one was just a standard hangover puke.
<@Veen> Second one was when I was at lunch with my ex and had some ham that was way too dry.
<@Veen> Third one was just a bit ago when I read that vagina story.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

I don't sleep much, but I enjoy it when I do. My dream is to slide into clean cotton sheets all by myself and sleep for eight uninteruppted hours. Never gonna happen now, but a girl can dream.
like tears in rain

deaddog
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by deaddog »

Riddeford wrote:I hope someone posts a hangover thread tomorrow because I can relate every day..
Savor the hangover, you worked hard for it
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

just getting back into regular boozing- I've found an alternating approach works fairly well. One night drink very excessively, without regards to anything. Next day, savor your hangover and have 2-3 drinks to get to sleep. Sleep 9-10 hours, and wake completely refreshed, and ready for more drinking
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

Tattooed White Trash
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Tattooed White Trash »

i took a xanax last night on top 11 beers i slept pretty good for once
I can't afford a car so im gonna name my daughter A Lexus

MethFront
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by MethFront »

Tattooed White Trash wrote:i took a xanax last night on top 11 beers i slept pretty good for once
That's one of the nice things about getting old... 12 beers does the same job just as well.
Be safe everyone.

hoverdog
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by hoverdog »

You're not old. No one should ever drink to sleep, fuck. Drink to not sleep yet, drink to keep the dream alive.
The last thing that anyone should ever do is feel ashamed of blacking out. You were trying to get drunk last night and, goddamnit, mission accomplished.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

If I ever get old, I rather imagine I shall not sleep at all. I mean, not as I am now, but really not sleep. Sort of like the Platonic ideal I imagined in my childhood: no sleep, no eat, no toilet visits, no sickness, no messy physical entanglements; a life of the mind only.
like tears in rain

drunkensooner
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by drunkensooner »

Savage wrote:If I ever get old, I rather imagine I shall not sleep at all. I mean, not as I am now, but really not sleep. Sort of like the Platonic ideal I imagined in my childhood: no sleep, no eat, no toilet visits, no sickness, no messy physical entanglements; a life of the mind only.
Then I feel sorry for you Savage. Sleep is the perfect tranquility, the absolute bliss that lies within the real world and the real world. It's a person's time to escape. It's not always the best experience, but that's the gratifying quality. It's always a refreshing adventure.
Getting drunk was good. I decided that I would always like getting drunk. It took away the obvious and maybe if you could get away from the obvious often enough, you wouldn't become obvious yourself - Bukowski

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

drunkensooner wrote:
Savage wrote:If I ever get old, I rather imagine I shall not sleep at all. I mean, not as I am now, but really not sleep. Sort of like the Platonic ideal I imagined in my childhood: no sleep, no eat, no toilet visits, no sickness, no messy physical entanglements; a life of the mind only.
Then I feel sorry for you Savage. Sleep is the perfect tranquility, the absolute bliss that lies within the real world and the real world. It's a person's time to escape. It's not always the best experience, but that's the gratifying quality. It's always a refreshing adventure.

oh damn. Don't feel sorrry for me, bitch. I enjoy sleep, when I can enjoy it. The dreams are wonderful: the color, the music, the scent, etc. Many is the time I have woken from a dream with a wonderful story in my head. And I like food and drink. But when I was a child, my mother cooked crap. I used to have to sit at the table for hours after dinner, in front of a plate of congealed shit I could not eat.
like tears in rain

drunkensooner
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by drunkensooner »

Savage wrote:
drunkensooner wrote:

oh damn. Don't feel sorrry for me, bitch. I enjoy sleep, when I can enjoy it. The dreams are wonderful: the color, the music, the scent, etc. Many is the time I have woken from a dream with a wonderful story in my head. And I like food and drink. But when I was a child, my mother cooked crap. I used to have to sit at the table for hours after dinner, in front of a plate of congealed shit I could not eat.
Oh, umm...I'm sorry...But I like when you call me bitch.
Getting drunk was good. I decided that I would always like getting drunk. It took away the obvious and maybe if you could get away from the obvious often enough, you wouldn't become obvious yourself - Bukowski