Drinking vs sleep

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

MissChardonnay
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Drinking vs sleep

Post by MissChardonnay »

When you been drinking you fall asleep easier because alcohol is a downer, but I've read it also disrupts you sleep patterns, which means that you often wake up in the small hours and may find it difficult to get back to sleep again. At some point the toxic after-effects of alcohol (dehydration, irritation of stomach lining, etc.) also start to kick in, which often wakes you up. So in fact, although you may fall asleep easier you actually sleep worse, both in terms of quality and quantity of sleep.
When I've been drinking every night for some time I feel exhausted, even tho I've had the usual 8 hours of sleep every night, more or less. How's it working for you people? You don't get the proper sleep rythms when drunk so you go thru life like a sleepwalker, or?

The pursuit of happiness just seems a bore

felinamojokitty
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Re: Drinking vs sleep

Post by felinamojokitty »

it's likely the sugar rebound..what can help is to drink something carbohydratey/sweet..like orange juice and it should help to fall back to sleep. i have heard alcohol interrupts rem sleep though am not sure-maybe someone has the scoop.

i made a similar thread last year:
http://moderndrunkardmagazine.com/bbs/v ... ns#p916695

i bet there are some new responses to be had. as far as drinking v. sleep i am not giving up either ;)
remember: h2o is your friend.

since that thread i believe the right mattress etc. makes a difference too. i bought a tempur-pedic bed and it is amazing!

Jags
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Jags »

I need my 8 to 10 beers a night to sleep good. Any less and I will toss and turn and not sleep well. If I drink a lot because of being out or having a party I still sleep good but tend to get up earlier. Usually still drunk. Those mornings it is good to have 4 or so bloody mary's or beers, then I don't get hung over.

I remember years ago going some days without drinking anything and would sleep so lightly that my own breathing would keep me awake/dream like and felt like shit the next day. I'm not going through that again!
-------------------------------------

The older I get, the better I was.

It's damn expensive to look this cheap.

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

I hate that I have to share this, but I do. drinking fucks up my sleep completely. I'll be out like a light for 5-6 hours and just feel like I took a 1-hour nap the entire next day. obviously it's worthwhile in many cases, but when I was drinking everyday and wanted to get a good nights rest I'd have just 2-3 drinks to fall asleep(which hardly makes a difference before REM sleep)

after going dry for the first few nights it was hard to get to sleep, so obviously that's just as bad. but then when I could get serious undrunk sleep, I sleep about 9-10 hours and wake up feeling like a million bucks(after coffee that is). It's all personal, obviously drunken sleep is better than no sleep, but I am a firm believer in catching your REMs at least 4 nights(or days) of the week.
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

fizzmaster
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by fizzmaster »

When I don't drink I take Melatonin supplements and that helps me to sleep really deeply. Yeah, I lost my mind in Louisville because I had to drink a shitload just to fall asleep and it was like 100 degrees at night and all I had was a fan. I would wake up covered in sweat. What amazed me is that I continued to gain weight even though I was sweating profusely all day. I think its because my sleep patterns were wicked effed up.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. "
-Hunter S. Thompson

http://fermentedfilm.blogspot.com/
http://indiewrasslin.tumblr.com/

NYDingbat
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by NYDingbat »

Sleep schmeep! That dirt nap is a long one - I'll make up for sleep deprivation then. As long as the dirt is below me, I shall imbibe to my liver's dismay without regard for an extended period of rest. Even on school nights.
"I don't start the day. I continue the night."
- mistah willies

"What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?"
- W.C. Fields

Bluespook
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Bluespook »

while the dirt nap is more like a coma, being that it never ends and all, it's been suggested that lack of sleep can lead to an earlier demise. So, we need to work out the equation, time spent awake against the time taken from the earlier demise and see which one gives you the most time on earth. Or, you could just say fuck it, who wants to spend more time on this god forsaken rock than we have to anyway. Iam actually starting to look forward to the silence of the grave.
Beer's just being social. Whiskey's drinkin'.

MethFront
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by MethFront »

If I didn't drink... the dreams would return.

I prefer not knowing things before they happen. It's the only thing that allows hope to thrive.
Be safe everyone.

slushfund
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by slushfund »

NYDingbat wrote:Sleep schmeep! That dirt nap is a long one - I'll make up for sleep deprivation then. As long as the dirt is below me, I shall imbibe to my liver's dismay without regard for an extended period of rest. Even on school nights.
What she said.

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Rooster »

You can always sleep, but you can't get drunk unless you're drinking.

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

Awww, and Jess seemed so sweet. Who would have known that she's a troll?

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

the "I'll sleep when I'm dead" argument is working on the premise that sleep is like turning off, and that time spent awake is always worthwhile. I disagree on both counts.
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

NYDingbat
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by NYDingbat »

deebocools wrote:the "I'll sleep when I'm dead" argument is working on the premise that sleep is like turning off, and that time spent awake is always worthwhile. I disagree on both counts.

My dear fellow drunkard, you are either sleeping with the wrong (people)(person) or spending your time with eyes open also with the wrong people.

Surely you can find solace somewhere betwixt the a.m. and p.m. by tweaking the guest list?
"I don't start the day. I continue the night."
- mistah willies

"What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?"
- W.C. Fields

Pete G
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Pete G »

I believe there is a difference between passing out and being unconscious and "sleeping". I prefer to pass out.

drunkensooner
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by drunkensooner »

Drinking vs sleep?

Drinking wins in a KO! Drinking is the champion my friends! Drinking will keep on fighting till the end!
Getting drunk was good. I decided that I would always like getting drunk. It took away the obvious and maybe if you could get away from the obvious often enough, you wouldn't become obvious yourself - Bukowski