celebration of drunkness: cantus

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

divine
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

celebration of drunkness: cantus

Post by divine »

I will, later this evening, be participating in a cantus. It is the best form of drinking in a social setting known to me. The goal of the thing is to get drunk, and there might vry well be 100 or more people attending

The proceedings is the following. The praeses (leader) of the organizing club sits at a desk in front of the room (much like a judge) and the rest of the people sit down on long tables At the back of the room are the freshmen students who are to take care that everybody has beer at all times. Then there will be song two standard songs (io vivat and the organizing clubs song). After that the praeses will command everybody t stand up and drink there glasses in one drink (ad fundum).

Then there will be sung a lot of songs, and after every song he will command to drink (he also commands an amount to drink, usually on one cantus, you will consume about 12-14 beers) . Songs are about three themes: sex and relationships, the art of drinking, and the college life

The fun part is when people are punished. Reasons for punishment are the following: going to the toilet (there are two breaks when you can go, if you have to go in between breaks you are punished), rowdy behavior, or just lain bad luck.

If a person is punished he will be called to the front of the room and have to drink, but usually this is some sexist punishment, like a couple having to drink a beer out of each others crotch and such.

After the last break when everyone is drunk, the best part comes: the silent part. Beer is distributed around the tables in large pitchers (so the freshmen no longer have to work) and a few last songs are sung very silently, people who cannot maintain themselves are thrown out (much to there dismay) some of the songs would be: for auld lang syne, amazing grace, home on the range,... (and of course a host of dutch songs)

To me it's a great bonding moment under drunks.
Don't be undrunk my son. It serves no cause.

Jelmo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Re: celebration of drunkness: cantus

Post by Jelmo »

Ah. Cantusses are really one of the finer things in life. Did one last year and at the end people where jumping on the tables, singing awfully and throwing beer. Mine wasn't from college or something like that but just everybody who wanted to join could do so. One of the finer drinking moments indeed. I'll have another one (cantus that is) in August.
"Don't give a damn how this turns out
Drain bottles just to scream and shout
On the run from reality
Poison helps me and go flee"

Negromancer
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Negromancer »

I'd go right up to that judge and piss in his ear. I always end up disorderly when I drink with people I study with. Usually because I've never had much in common with my fellow students, and when I'm uncomfortable I drink and do fucked up shit. I remember when I attended the afterparty of the graduating seniors' christmas ball, I got drunk in record time and ended up stealing beer from others and punching some dick in the face and throwing my drink after him. I also cut my finger on a shard of glass and It's still numb... I'm sure the squirting blood ruined a dress or two, though. My jeans were full of bloodstains when I came to. And I suppose it wasn't all bad since I woke up with a cigar and I drank for free.
"The best drink of the day, was the drink he had in his head before the first drink of the day."

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

that sounds awesome, except for all the singing and rules. seriously, though, have fun!
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Negromancer
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Negromancer »

I suppose I could handle the singing, but as Wingman states; the rule on the other hand... I once did a drive-by shooting in a game I played with some friends; we were playing monopoly.
"The best drink of the day, was the drink he had in his head before the first drink of the day."

divine
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by divine »

yeah, about those rules. Some groups are pretty strict in it, but there are groups who don't care nall that much, the downside is that they usually tend to be prettty rowdy and the people whoa ctually enjoy the singing get screwed over, but that's a persons own choice.

Jelmo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Jelmo »

Wingman wrote:that sounds awesome, except for all the singing and rules. seriously, though, have fun!
What?! You don't like drunken singing?!
On the run from reality

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

Jelmo wrote:
Wingman wrote:that sounds awesome, except for all the singing and rules. seriously, though, have fun!
What?! You don't like drunken singing?!
drunken singing is okaqhy. i did some tonight. i think it's the structure i don' tl like. like karioke, which i ca n't abide.
Stupid should hurt.

--ThirstyDrunk

Jelmo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Jelmo »

Nice typing. Yeah well if the rules aren't too strict participating in a group of people singing loud and plowed is great. I think. But when it happens spontaneously, like last night 4 people started singing Drink with me (by Arrogant Worms) it's sooooo much better.
On the run from reality

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

Jelmo wrote:Nice typing.

But when it happens spontaneously, like last night 4 people started singing Drink with me (by Arrogant Worms) it's sooooo much better.
i was lucky i wasn't typing with my forehead at that point. i just couldn't be bothered to go back and edit...like when you're hammered and trying to walk somewhere. you weave back and forth, maybe run into things, but if you don't keep focused on the goal (destination or period, respectively), you'll never make it.

spontaneous drunken singing is great. and despite my claim to have done drunken singing that night, i still can't remember if i did or what it was. so that's probably for the best.
Stupid should hurt.

--ThirstyDrunk

cloud8
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by cloud8 »

Sounds like a hoot!
divine wrote:Then there will be sung a lot of songs, and after every song he will command to drink (he also commands an amount to drink, usually on one cantus, you will consume about 12-14 beers) . Songs are about three themes: sex and relationships, the art of drinking, and the college life
Did you sing this one?
Carmina Burana wrote: In taberna quando sumus,
non curamus quid sit humus,
sed ad ludum properamus,
cui semper insudamus.
"Never apologise for being in the Bourbon aisle."
--Smatter Noguts

divine
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by divine »

No, sadly, I haven't had the pleasure of singing that song on a cantus yet, but it is a very good example of the style and atmosphere of the songs which are usually sung.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

I like the fact that you're encouraged to drink beer...
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be