Wednesday Night Throwdown

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Re: Wednesday Night Throwdown

Post by Rye and Coke »

Savage wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:59 am
Rye and Coke wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:04 pm
I hope I don't irritate anyone by continuously upping this thread, but Wednesday nights are just my nights. Got some writing to do for work, and some writing to do for fun.

Got an Old Fashion (which never tastes as good as the ones I get at high-end bars -- fuck, what am i doing wrong?
I just had a thought: perhaps a tiny splash of Grand Marnier(1/4 teaspoon, perhaps?) might help. When we do Manhattans, I always toss a bit of maraschino syrup in the bourbon. Yes, bourbon. Fekk rye. Just a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down! *

*sez the woman chugging Makers on ice whilst making sure that the old man doesn't stop breathing.
Just now getting to this, but that's not a bad idea.

I wonder if the Grand Marnier would go better with an Orange bitters (which I have); and Bourbon or Rye, do your thing, I just can't deal with the corn taste. But fuck it, maybe I'm the weirdo. I do add a splash of maraschino syrup in my Manhattans too, I thought it was just me.

But I hate Jim Beam and been held by my ankles over the edge of a hotel balcony because of it, so maybe I'm biased.
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Rye and Coke wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:27 pm

I wonder if the Grand Marnier would go better with an Orange bitters (which I have)
It is an orange bitter
Drink!

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

It's Monday. Been on G watch all night. Too wired to sleep. I'm tired.
like tears in rain

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

Wednesday wuz fun. Pub for the football, then pub because the football was over. Now doing basically the same thing, but with live music.

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

oettinger wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:27 pm
Rye and Coke wrote:

I wonder if the Grand Marnier would go better with an Orange bitters (which I have)
It is an orange bitter

Nah, I think it's a liqueur. Not only that, but it's a liqueur that I've never tried, even though I've had multiple opportunities to try. I definitely didn't know it was orange flavored.
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Rye and Coke wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:16 am
oettinger wrote:
Rye and Coke wrote:

It is an orange bitter

Nah, I think it's a liqueur. Not only that, but it's a liqueur that I've never tried, even though I've had multiple opportunities to try. I definitely didn't know it was orange flavored.
You`re right it´s a triple sec or curacao
Drink!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

oettinger wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:14 am
Rye and Coke wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:16 am
oettinger wrote:
It is an orange bitter

You`re right it´s a triple sec or curacao
No, it's better than either of those. The base liquor is French cognac infused with bitter orange, so even though it isn't technically a "bitters" you were kind of right.

Grand Marnier makes a superb addition to homemade margarita mix.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Rye and Coke »

I have a friend, let's call her Janet, who drank it straight, which is why I thought it was a liquor originally. She was a beast. This short beautiful little spark plug who unfortunately fell in with the wrong guy.

I had a little crush on her, but really connected with her friend, who made me promise that no matter what happened between she and I, I could never talk to Janet. They were like sisters and it'd be weird.

I screwed with her a couple of times like, "I don't know, Janet lookin' a little hot right now..."

"RYAAAAAN!!!"

But honestly, I never would've tried anything, even if I could. Janet is like my sister, a sister I barely talk to. Jesus. I'm such a piece of shit. Whatever the case. I love Janet because she was/is a drinker. A great drinker. Her boyfriend, turned husband, would get on her because they'd buy a bottle of TJD and within a week she'd have drained it by herself.

She's 5 foot nothing and she's outdrinking you, FUCK YOU. Not to mention the fact that he was cheating on her with a coworker. Whatever; it is what it is.

They're not together anymore. Horrible divorce, kids in the middle, all that shit.

Whatever the case, Grand Marnier is awesome...I guess, cause I haven't tried it...

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Rye and Coke »

Whoa, I really went deep last week. Tales from a lifetime ago.

Anyway, cheers to my Wednesday drunks. Those fearless few who don't give a shit about mid-week drunkdardness. Whether it be because of circumstances that allow it or complete reckless obliviousness, the only weekends are the ones we create and honor ourselves.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Rye and Coke wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:45 pm
I have a friend, let's call her Janet (Reno), who drank it straight, which is why I thought it was a liquor originally. She was a beast. This short beautiful little spark plug who unfortunately fell in with the wrong Dep't of Justice...

Whatever the case, Grand Marnier is awesome..
I feel ya, Rye.

State Dinner '96. Me and Reno making out in the secret service coat check closet. Just me, my moustache, her moustache and the cloyingly bittersweet flavor of the Grand Marnier on her sandpaper tongue.

That was the night we almost had a three-way with Henry Kissinger.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

I used to hang out at this bar where a friend of mine bartended. His Wife would come in and start drinking with me. After a while she'd order Grand Marnier and would start rubbing my crotch. Her husband knew this was going on and would get real pissed. One time he got so mad he ditched her at the bar. If he wasn't such a nice guy I would have definitely tapped his old Lady. Sometimes I hate being such a nice guy.

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Rye and Coke »

So it's Old Fashions tonight, hopefully i can still get into bed at a decent time, we'll see.

Who's up and on, if anyone at all?

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Rye and Coke »

Good evening Wednesday night drunks.

I'll be your ferryman, Charon, carrying you across this mid-week River Styx. Thankfully however, instead of delineating life and death, this Wednesday river separates our working hell from the sweet deliverance of the weekend. But don't worry, I got you.

'Trust in Me' like Etta James, because 'I'll Take You There' like the Staple Singers.

Our destination is just over the horizon, second drunk to the left, and straight on till morning... or at least to Last Call. All I ask is that the two quarters your loved ones laid over your eyes, yeah, I'm a need you to drop those in the tip cup. Beer ain't cheap anymore and rye whiskey never has been, so help a public servant out.

Now, if you don't mind: Put your seat back in it's upright position. Settle up your drink tabs, because the shore is fast approaching.

I'll see you on the other side Ray.

Hallelujah

Holla back...

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Rye and Coke »

After 1 in the morning EST time

I've had about three Vodka and lemon flavored sparkling waters... basically 3 Vodka sodas

Now, I've switched to whiskey; 2 drinks deep

and I'm headed for more.

Side Note: I got my work down and am now trying to convince myself not to visit the 24 hour diner down the street. Hey! I'm perfectly fine where I am....why leave the house.

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Rye and Coke »

Got work as usual. Hopefully I can bang it out and get some sleep.

In the mean time and between time, I got a bottle of Redemption Rye to finish and a bottle of Yuengling Lager to finish. I just love the feeling when you, totally convinced you've drank your last beer, reach for all the empties and pull one out THAT'S HEAVY!

GLORY HALLELUJAH, WE HAVE ONE MORE!

I almost pissed myself with glee. Whatever the case, I'm going to drink this one slow with a couple of shots while I work.

The week's been pretty calm this time, what say you Wednesday night drunks.