When I first met the booze

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Re: When I first met the booze

Post by Mr Boozificator »

I was born, my grandma rubbed my lips with wine and said "hellllo". Family thing.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

pist
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by pist »

First drunk/blackout - 15, Everclear. For something like 30 minutes I had the absolute time of my life.
Then I started furiously projectile vomiting for about six hours. It's still debated whether or not I shit on this guy's back porch. I don't think I did.
I remember thinking, "Is this what drinking is like? Because holy fuck."
Not as bad since then.

Bluespook
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Bluespook »

First drink, i was about 7 or 8. My dad let me drink of his can of Bud, or perhaps it was Hamms, i don't recall. I didn't like it much, but i remember thinking it was an odd taste and for as much of it as he drank, there must be something to it. My first drunk was one i do remember. 13, and one of only two kids in 8th grade at a high school party. Camped out on the banks of the kickapoo creek. I was drinking keg beer and drinking pulls off some bottles of red maui the girls had and jim beam the guys had, just wanting to try it all. I remember the next morning, holding my head and puking my guts out, all the while everyone around swore off ever drinking again, and i was swearing i couldn't wait until i felt better so i could start drinking again, no greater feeling in the world, love at first sight. First black out, that's a tough one. I don't remember exactly, but was probably about that same time, i drank heavily in high school. Odd thing is, i drank alot, but never smoked weed until i was in my late twenties. I knew my first love very well and was always faithful. Booze got me where i wanted to be and i saw no reason not to trust in it to keep me where i wanted to be.
Beer's just being social. Whiskey's drinkin'.

Jiggers McCoy
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Jiggers McCoy »

First taste: My parents tell me they were driving home with me in the car seat, a warm pizza next to me, and they were sharing a tall boy and they rubbed a bit on my gums and grinned real big. The first I remember was some BBQ, i grabbed a solo cup of what I thought was my pepsi, then realized one of the adults had mislaid their lager.

First whole beer: I was 16 and my older cousin was going into the air force, so I choked one down with him at his goodbye party

First whiskey/first drunk: I was 18 and there was a club in town that (it was understood) would ignore your age for $5 at the door. I had planned on only having a few light beers, but this girl I like called me a pussy, so I ordered up a jack and coke. It was so sweet and smooth, I drank a double in like 5 minutes, then sat for who knows how long floating on good feelings. Also the first time I have yelled to all within earshot "I'M WASTED!"

First Blackout: 18 again. Went to a couple house parties with some musician friends. Till then I was used to under-poured, sugary drinks and light beer, but these guys were doing doubles of canadian mist with a splash of coke. Apparently we went to 3 parties, but I only remember 2. The one in the middle is gone. I don;t remember much of the third either, just that it was a field party and I passed out under some car. My buds couldnt find me, then saw my shoes sticking out from under the car, wizard of oz-style.

It was a tumultuous first couple years, but we've settled into a lovely, fruitful relationship.
• "Avoiding the darker alcohols like bourbon, red wine and dark rum might lessen [a hangover] and you might also dance better if you wear a tutu instead of trousers." - FKR

• "If you wanna 'talk about' my drinking, it better be about how fucking awesome it is." - Me

Mr. Von Rotten
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Mr. Von Rotten »

First Drink: Being that my father was in the merchant marine, Alcohol was a staple. I was probably 2 years old and sitting on my fathers lap around the kitchen table. He was drinking with my "uncle" Tito, a transplant from Italy and reknowned boat builder. The amber liquid in the sniffter was appealing, even at that age. I grabbed it and took it down in one gulp. This brought both suprise and elation to the both of them. It has been preserved on audio recording as was fashionable back in the day and archived for posterity (Ala David at the Dentist). Needless to say, 60's parents weren't so keen on calling the ambulance for every little thing and I slept it off.

First Beer: 13 years old, purloined Bud tall cans underneath the highschool bleachers, but who hasn't. Pissed myself in some bushes.

First Whisky: Admittedly, I was a late bloomer in this regard. I kept my Vodka amateur status from 1992 to 1998. Moved up in weight class and never looked back.

First blackout: Horrible to admit. Snapped out of it while driving with my head out the window at 19. NEVER again. Cab fare is alot cheaper than a DUI. thankfully, something I haven't had to learn first hand.
"What did the leaper say to the hooker?... Keep the tip."

Mr. Von Rotten
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Mr. Von Rotten »

Bluespook wrote:First drink, i was about 7 or 8. My dad let me drink of his can of Bud, or perhaps it was Hamms, i don't recall. I didn't like it much, but i remember thinking it was an odd taste and for as much of it as he drank, there must be something to it. My first drunk was one i do remember. 13, and one of only two kids in 8th grade at a high school party. Camped out on the banks of the kickapoo creek. I was drinking keg beer and drinking pulls off some bottles of red maui the girls had and jim beam the guys had, just wanting to try it all. I remember the next morning, holding my head and puking my guts out, all the while everyone around swore off ever drinking again, and i was swearing i couldn't wait until i felt better so i could start drinking again, no greater feeling in the world, love at first sight. First black out, that's a tough one. I don't remember exactly, but was probably about that same time, i drank heavily in high school. Odd thing is, i drank alot, but never smoked weed until i was in my late twenties. I knew my first love very well and was always faithful. Booze got me where i wanted to be and i saw no reason not to trust in it to keep me where i wanted to be.
Booze and guns is what keeps us the best country in the World. Praise the Lord, pass the bottle and the ammunition.
"What did the leaper say to the hooker?... Keep the tip."

felinamojokitty
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by felinamojokitty »

my parents had a tavern and restaurant in Norwalk CT..

dad smoked and drank dewars and cutty sark on the job... mom cooked and drank highballs...whiskey sours..and she smoked on the back dock after her shift at the end of the night watching the sea rats jump up on the grease barrels just sucking the grease form the nights cooking...she told me she would stick her cigarette butt in their butts and they would fall in the grease barrel..

yeah i inherited my mothers humor..

they used to do bird whistles to each other on the intercom..

i just sat there after school with a tap coke and a bag of Connecticut brand potato chips

a lot of languages spoken in the afternoon dock workers and such accents...irish, scottish, italian, etc.

it was a local joint..jon voight used to go there before he got famous..mom used to tell me all the actors wives she would see picking my sibs from school (slvermine area) she used to chat with paul newmans wife..it was connecticuit..my family just lived there..when she told me about it after i was old enough to know who they were she said they were just people..

i love the fact that my mom was never star struck...and

watching my dad tend bar and the bar was a boat hull ..an actual boat hull

first time i tasted booze? new years eve sometime in the late 60's.... sipped leftover drinks after the big blowpout party my parents gave.. and you know what?

my parents always gave parties for the family and relatives..

because dad had a bar everyone thought hell yeah! my parents always had parties family/relatives and distant relatives

everyone wanted to go to eddies and marys..

(my dad and mom)

drank champagne in my early teens.. my parents were all about booze..and food

whiskeyprick
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by whiskeyprick »

I'm moving to Ireland.
Gambling is a disease, but it's the only one you can win a ton of money for having - Norm Macdonald

redshift
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by redshift »

My first alcoholic drink: A Coors Light (god, bless me) @ 16yrs
My first liquor: A shot of Jack @ 17yrs
My first blackout: At a friends going away party @ 18yrs. Also, the first time I said, "I am never going to drink again."

Touche!
The What?? I hate signature images!

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Don't know exactly when I started but I never drank anything stronger than beer until I was @9yrs-old.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

WeatherMan
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by WeatherMan »

Hmm. I think I first snagged some wine around age 12.

First drunk was 16, HS party, lots of Coors.

First blackout at 17, at college with the best of friends with a shit ton of rum. I soon graduated beyond that to whiskey, with which I shall stay for the rest of my days.
May those who love us, love us
and those who don't love us, may god turn their hearts
and if he can't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles
so we'll know 'em by their limping!

Drunk Orson Welles Outtake

Rise drunkards, rise! Rise for shots, and for drinks, and the liver ending!

Booz Hound
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Booz Hound »

My first drink, blackout, vomit, and lying about it was all wrapped into one at about the age of 18: My parents, boozers themselves, had a ridiculous well stocked liquor cabinet, they took off one afternoon while I was at home alone. Decided on my own to try a drink and perused the Mr. Boston’s that my parents had. I decided that I had the ingredients and ability to make a Tom Collins. It came out poorly but I was intrigued by the liquor and proceeded to drink alternate vodka and gin drinks. Then I started on vodka and gin drinks and finished myself off with a glass of box white wine. Down in the basement lying on the couch enjoying my first blitz, my sister and my girlfriend came over and we were hanging out, deciding I was acting weird my girlfriend decided to, surprising to me, jump on my stomach and as soon as that happen I tossed her off and ran to the laundry room and lost first cocktails in the sink. Well, my pain in the ass sister (who was legitimately concerned) began screaming to my parents that "Eric is throwing up!" and they, having returned, of course ran down to see the trouble. While hanging on the sink I slurred an explanation that I had had "to much pizza" and hence the vomit. They bought it (why I’ll never know) and after my girlfriend surmised the issue and I confirmed that I was amazingly drunk I fell into the first of many blackout sleeps. The end result is that I was still not suspected by my parents (being a “good” kid) and my girlfriend demand that the next time I got drunk I had to invite her so she could too. Ah bliss.
Fear the Man, kill the snitch. Just remember life's a bitch.
- Motorhead

Oh nooo, my brain!
- Hans Moleman

MethFront
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by MethFront »

I had had many sips of beer as a child, usually something domestic and awful. I was a kid, whatever. The first taste of beer that I enjoyed was Dos Equis (stay thirsty, my friends). I was... maybe 10? It was before puberty, but I don't remember exactly when. I remember where, and the day of the week (grandma's sunday bbq, i always hated that I couldn't enjoy it fully because I had to go to school the next day) but not much else.

But that was before my first, real drunk. I was about five and mother had taken me over to my grandma's house while she was away. There was a container of fruit juice from which I was poured a drink. I asked for another. And another. Then I had to take a nap. It was later revealed that I had inadvertently been given large quantities of sangria. (it was 1981, everyone had a good laugh. Nowadays hospitals and DYFS would have been involved). My grandmother was in the habit of pouring things back into the closest suitable container.

The first hangover was Christmas,1987. My old man brought had back sake from Japan. Almost no one in my family liked it. So, having been told it was Japanese beer (not even remotely true), I drank mine and everyone else's, then I went for refills. Hey, it's just 'beer' and look at the tiny cups, surely it's no big deal. Yeah, I was in rough shape. That was the first time I was given a b-supplement and told that it would help mitigate some of the worst effects of my previous evening. Something I live by to this day.
Be safe everyone.

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

First exposure: Another late bloomer here. My parents offered me sips of beer or wine at holidays but it smelled awful to me, so I didn't drink it(I always smell things before drinking them, if you've ever swallowed sour milk you would too). My mom kept kahlua and vodka on deck in the kitchen, and I remember smelling them when I was around 17 and thinking "Oh, those actually smell good". I think it was because I could actually smell the alcohol, and I find it to be a pleasant smell.

First taste: Had a few nights where I couldn't sleep in the following couple years, I'd drink kahlua and milk and it would knock me out(though I wasn't trying to get loaded).

First drunk: Finally when I turned 20(a year shy of legal) I made the educated decision to "try drinking moderately". First time we split a fifth of rum between 3 of us, and I was surprised I didn't feel "drunk" even like I would now off a few shots. I just felt a little more confident; not that unlike being in a good mood undrunk. I decided it wasn't for me. Timing is everything though, and a month later my first long-time girlfriend spit up with me. After crying or some bullshit, I immediately looked up how much alcohol it would take to kill me. It was alot. I had a friend buy me a handle of bacardi silver, and I drank however much I wanted alone. THEN I knew what it was to be drunk, and it was great.

First blackout: immediately following my first drunk, I drank every night, as much as I wanted. My first blackout happened somewhere in that time. I remember deciding to go for a walk to the park. I woke up with shit I bought at 7-11 and no memory of it besides leaving the house.

My story is really cliche, "I DRANK THE PAIN AWAY!" bullshit, but that's what happened. In about a month I was just drinking because it was fun, and still do.
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

Milspec
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Milspec »

So many posted memories of Dad, naw my folks we're teatottlers of the worst order-neither religious, nor proud, they just lacked the combination of humility and adventerous spirit to risk happiness. I had to make the wrong freinds with the right parents-no lock on the cabinet- or shoulder tap. Self initiation.

First Drink- 10..Catholic pals over-the-fridge cupboard. choco-mint schnapps, not to my taste but I knew I was onto something.
First Drunk- 13..Trailor park under a buddy's ma's bed. a quart 'o' cinnaman schnapps 'Is all this there is out there? It can't be!
First Blackout- 14..Girlfriends Step-Dad -Pint 'o' Wild Turkey and 4 PBR's- Woke up, sitting up in the hall of a strange apt. bldng. getting kicked in the temple by an angry tenent twelve kicks the the face and become lucid. I have arrived.

Not sure what happened that day, stories range from a barrage of shit talk to a straight up B&E that earned my pummling. All that matters is the path of intrigue I inherited at that moment.
"Trinke liebchen, trinke schnell, trinken macht die augen hell!"