My fellow lushes I request advice

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Fool Ishy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders
Location: Somewhere in Washington state...or is that the State of Washington? Damned if I know...

Re: My fellow lushes I request advice

Post by Fool Ishy »

OK, in all honesty, I just did the wedding of my best friend this last weekend, so...

They only offered beer and wine. Wine during the change over from ceremony to reception (all in the same place), then an open bar of beer or wine during reception. I like my drink, yet I only had a couple glasses of wine during the change over, then about 8-10 (lost count somewhere) beers during the eating/dancing/reception. I like to drink, but had to drive 20 miles home and we are all co-workers and such, so kept it in bounds.

Went to the local after and and focused on my bourbon sodas.

Anyway, assume a lot of folks won't come (we had about 10% no shows from the RSVPs), and many of those won't drink at all (my table of 6-8 only had 3-4 drinkers). Of those drinking, many won't drink much (due to preference/driving/peer pressure).

So if 250 is the estimated invite, assume maybe 150-200 RSVPs. Maybe 100-150 show up. Of those, maybe 60-70 drink at all. Someone said average 4 drinks each... that sounds about right. Go cheap. Bear and wine are acceptable as they facilitate social interaction. Booze is fun, but you can save a bit there by passing.

You can always get your drink on afterward.
"Work is the curse of the drinking classes." Oscar Wilde

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

There is something about a wedding that makes everyone want to drink, and keep on drinking until they pass out, or black out. I don't know what causes this (note to self: ask daughter who is studying psychology to become a therapist). All I know is, the only place you will find me chomping tea sandwiches and swilling out of a champagne fountain, while wearing a stupid pastel chunk of chiffon, is a wedding. Then I usually dance with one of the shorter groomsmen, as I am not willowy tall like the rest of the girls. If I'm lucky, I won't have to live through the telephone calls the next day, with gleeful girls only too glad to tell me how everyone just loved my little dance on top of the bride and groom's table.
like tears in rain

Booz Hound
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Booz Hound »

250? go shit nuts, most people wont remember you beause there blitzed! like me wooo! Weddinggg!
Fear the Man, kill the snitch. Just remember life's a bitch.
- Motorhead

Oh nooo, my brain!
- Hans Moleman

GetDrunkStayDrunk
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by GetDrunkStayDrunk »

It's just going to be a massive party, it will be a full service bar. While he is quite the good friend I'm going to be forced to punish his wallet all night. Both he and his bride to be plan on it being a giant blowout where everyone is reeling with drunkenness. I'm in the wedding party but it's cool because we aren't doing tuxes or suits. It'll be slacks, button down shirt, converse chuck taylors. Clearly they aren't too hung up on tradition.

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

at my wedding, one of our friends claimed to believe we were paying by the hour at the bar (not the case, we paid per drink). about 9:45 (we were going to the party house at 10:00), she's all, "hurry up and drink!" ordering doubles and triples at the bar, forcing people to do shots, etc.

i love my friends.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

I got married at the courthouse, in a white bridal gown-($48.00) Grumpy wore his dress blues. We were the first wedding scheduled, so we had to wait until the offices opened. A whole bunch of old ladies in cardigans showed up and one of them said: " Ooh, look at the little bride and groom! They look just like the people on top of a wedding cake!" I was mortified, and turned my face to the wall. And so it began...
like tears in rain

Milspec
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Milspec »

Just remember that any leftovers will gladly be accepted by your freindly corner transient so buying over is buying karma.
"Trinke liebchen, trinke schnell, trinken macht die augen hell!"

Jiggers McCoy
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Jiggers McCoy »

A catering company would likely charge 15-30 a head for full service bar. So, conservatively, that'd be 7500. Maybe take half that for your purposes, so 3750. There's a budget, divide as you see fit.
• "Avoiding the darker alcohols like bourbon, red wine and dark rum might lessen [a hangover] and you might also dance better if you wear a tutu instead of trousers." - FKR

• "If you wanna 'talk about' my drinking, it better be about how fucking awesome it is." - Me

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

Wingman wrote:at my wedding, one of our friends claimed to believe we were paying by the hour at the bar (not the case, we paid per drink). about 9:45 (we were going to the party house at 10:00), she's all, "hurry up and drink!" ordering doubles and triples at the bar, forcing people to do shots, etc.

i love my friends.
If she's single, you know...

What? I don't have the right to try my luck?
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

The main problem with wedding receptions is not always the booze. It's the cake. Why must wedding cake taste so terrible? So it has to be white. It can still taste good. Damn. Haven't bakers ever heard of cream cheese frosting, white chocolate batter, lemon or strawberry filling, etc.? Or how about a lovely rum-soaked sponge cake, with a real buttery European style buttercream icing, with wine-macerted cherries for the filling? If I were getting married today, I'd have a chocolate-spice layer cake, with chocolate fudge icing. The wedding couple atop it would be tinted edible chocolate, and my new husband and I would eat each other. And everyone would get a little ribbon-tied box of a single square of pineapple upside down cake; topped with a pineapple ring and a maraschino cherry. Because they'd all be too drunk to enjoy it at the reception, as I would eschew the traditional champagne fountain in favor of a bourbon one.
like tears in rain

GetDrunkStayDrunk
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

I do believe the new couple is going with a chocolate cake. They have pretty good taste for food so it should be good.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

I'd advise against letting the wedding band/musicians have ANY food or alcoholic beverages. Otherwise, they WILL eat and drink as much as possible, while playing as little music as possible. Also, do NOT allow them to fraternize with the guests -- particularly any female members of the bride's and groom's families.

Oh yeah...keep them at least 50ft from the bride at all times.

{;^)>
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

GetDrunkStayDrunk
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

I agree with keeping any band members away from the female patrons. Those gals are for me to get shut down by.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Drunkenstein44 wrote:I'd advise against letting the wedding band/musicians have ANY food or alcoholic beverages. Otherwise, they WILL eat and drink as much as possible, while playing as little music as possible. Also, do NOT allow them to fraternize with the guests -- particularly any female members of the bride's and groom's families.

Oh yeah...keep them at least 50ft from the bride at all times.

{;^)>
So... when you guys take a break, you go into your little pen/corral?
like tears in rain

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

DOKTOR BoO-zificator wrote:
Wingman wrote:at my wedding, one of our friends claimed to believe we were paying by the hour at the bar (not the case, we paid per drink). about 9:45 (we were going to the party house at 10:00), she's all, "hurry up and drink!" ordering doubles and triples at the bar, forcing people to do shots, etc.

i love my friends.
If she's single, you know...
yes, actually. nice girl, lives in charlotte. pm me next time you're stuck there.

ooh, and she's coming down in a few weeks to go to disney with us....
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk