Taking Back the Martini - it was ours to begin with

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Surreal
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Taking Back the Martini - it was ours to begin with

Post by Surreal »

http://www.urbandaddy.com/dc/nightlife/ ... _Chinatown

Just because you put a drink in a martini glass, this does not make it a martini.

Big Bang theory for Drunkards = This would be the event, a singular event which led to the formation of the drunkard universe. It can be argued that the event which started it all was the creation of the martini. I'm not talking about some apple/cosmo/chocolate/pumpkin martini bullshit. I'm talking about that bowl of loud mouth soup that many of us hold near and dear to our livers.

I'm talking about the grab a bottle of gin, poured over then shaken gently over ice, drained into an appropriate glass that has sat near a bottle of dry vermouth then garnished with a lemon twist.

For me, maybe you, maybe not, that is a freakin martini. It was ours when it was invented. It's been ours ever since. It is ours to take back now.

For those of you that clicked through, I know they aren't touting it as a martini, but it kinda looked like one and I'm well into a 5th of Crown Black and the visual pissed me off.

Drunkards own the martini. Drunkards invented the martini. How these two-bit, lilly-livered, cork-sniffing, douche-bagging, metro-sexual, brand-bragging, "look-at-me-I'm-drinking-the latest-drink-highlighted-in-People-magazine" mother fuckers were allowed to take THE cocktail and twist it into some kinda joke is too much.

It's time to take back the martini. now.

that is all.
fuck em man, it ain't easy walkin the righteous path.
- Hoss

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Taking Back the Martini - it was ours to begin with

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

OO
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Surreal
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Surreal »

infinity?
- Hoss

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Old Overholt
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Screwball
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Location: A half foot away from a cat's nutsack. I Gotta get the DevilKat Fixed!

Post by Screwball »

The last week I was in Dallas I asked the little punk behind the bar for a martini he asked me "What flavor?"

I walked to a bodega and bought a 40 of Mickey's malt liquor.

For the kid's safety and me not going to jail, it was the best thing to do.

greygoose
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by greygoose »

while not a fan of the martini, your prose was very well-crafted and your cause is definitely a worthy one.
why is my moral compass always pointed east? that's the direction of the nearest liquor store.

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

Great rant, compadre.

Take Silver Bullets and all vodkas off the list as well; and if there's an onion it's a Gibson.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Put a gin bottle to your lips, tip your head back and quit pretending.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Surreal
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Surreal »

Drunkenstein44 wrote:Put a gin bottle to your lips, tip your head back and quit pretending.
Brilliant.
- Hoss

Fabricsoftner
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Fabricsoftner »

I blame vodka. People who don't like the taste of booze love it. Then they want to feel sophisticated, so the put their shitty mixed drink in a martini glass and call it a martini.
<@Riddeford> lying on the ground laughing then going to get drunk on a pier. isn't what was fabric was born to do?

<apE> if theyd spend half as much time drinking as they do bitching, itd all be good

<@Fabric> Pint: why do I feel like shit?
<%pint> Fabric: people

<@fiyah> you're unemployed and drunk, you have no standards

waahoohah
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Location: http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/ ... a_flag.png

Post by waahoohah »

I saw a thing in the so-called "style" section of our local paper a couple of years ago, hyping up some sort of "chocolate martini".

I swear to God, the model posing for the paper's picture looked like she was holding up a glass of foamy shit to the camera. The glass had a crust on it. 'Nuff said.

I called and bitched, as I am wont to do. They did nothing, as they are wont to do.

Kids these days, I tells ya....
"Beginner's luck is only possible if you try."

-Lee Harvey Oswald

Gin McGuinness
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Gin McGuinness »

hubby bought me one of these a few years back - the gesture kept him from being bumped off.
"Personally I prefer the buzz between 'all is good and well in the universe with this glass' drunk and 'IM A FUCKING VIKING!' drunk." Impish Boozehound

felinamojokitty
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by felinamojokitty »

fuck all the drivel talk..

the martini is the be all end all of clear elegant and eloquent liquor drinks

divisionists!

it is gin dammnitt

you have to love the gin and the glass and the wisp of vermouth anything other than extra dry vermouth is verboten

personally as you may know i prefer lemon twist and a squeeze of lemon juice in my tipple..

i make a damn good martini a couple of folks can attest here drinking with me

*sigh* all is past now

this is the true martini anthem..gin drinkers unite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT27A6Sa10k

NYDingbat
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by NYDingbat »

Forgive me, Surreal, for I have sinned. It has been almost 20 years since I last celebrated gin.

I, despite having enjoyed the nectar of the fragrant juniper berry swaddled in tonic on a hot summer day on more than twelve occasions, have shunned The Martini.

Yay, but I have enJOYED the vodka "martini", shamefully enJOYED the heathen "cosmo" - I have even sampled, enJOYED and encouraged others to do the same with the devil's nectar itself - yes - the chocolate "martini".

As Jimmy and Tammy Faye before me, I submit my offenses for your judgment. In my defense - I never stooped to having a beertini. That very pretty glass deserves better than that.
"I don't start the day. I continue the night."
- mistah willies

"What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?"
- W.C. Fields

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

NYDingbat wrote:Forgive me, Surreal, for I have sinned. It has been almost 20 years since I last celebrated gin.

I, despite having enjoyed the nectar of the fragrant juniper berry swaddled in tonic on a hot summer day on more than twelve occasions, have shunned The Martini.

Yay, but I have enJOYED the vodka "martini", shamefully enJOYED the heathen "cosmo" - I have even sampled, enJOYED and encouraged others to do the same with the devil's nectar itself - yes - the chocolate "martini".

As Jimmy and Tammy Faye before me, I submit my offenses for your judgment. In my defense - I never stooped to having a beertini. That very pretty glass deserves better than that.
Well, you're just such a girl. Pink little sissy mary.

But seriously, today's real martinis are ridiculous. Please. Just call it a glass of gin. Nothing wrong with that. A proper martini of my grandparents' age was 1 to 4 vermouth and gin.
like tears in rain