What are you reading?

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Mr. Viking »

Reading "Andorra's box" or something like that by Ross O'Carroll Kelly. Crap writing, but it is hilarious. And it has pictures
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Surreal
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Surreal »

the last 4:

Empire of the Summer Moon - about the rise and fall of the Comanche nation.
Outlander - Sci/Fi thing where WWII nurse goes back in time and has adventures in the scottish Highlands.
The Night Circus - another sci/fi involving a duel of sorts between two young magicians.
Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander - Thomas Merton is excellent. I'm a big fan of Trappist monks and Trappist beers.
fuck em man, it ain't easy walkin the righteous path.
- Hoss

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

Just finished "Trout Fishing In America", now reading "Herzog" by Saul Bellow and trying to teach myself German.

A little Kingsley Amis ("The King's English") on the side as well.

kowalski
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by kowalski »

Shane's Dentist wrote:Just finished "Trout Fishing In America", now reading "Herzog" by Saul Bellow and trying to teach myself German.

Herzog isn't anything to do with Werner Herzog the German film director is it? He's one of my favourite directors of all time.

I'm currently reading Wild Swans by Jung Chang - all about growing up in communist China. It's really interesting but a bit hard going at times. If you believe half of what she writes about Mao then he was one seriously crazy bastard...
Snakebite & Blue Bols <-- The Drink of Champions

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

kowalski wrote:
Shane's Dentist wrote:Just finished "Trout Fishing In America", now reading "Herzog" by Saul Bellow and trying to teach myself German.

Herzog isn't anything to do with Werner Herzog the German film director is it? He's one of my favourite directors of all time.

I'm currently reading Wild Swans by Jung Chang - all about growing up in communist China. It's really interesting but a bit hard going at times. If you believe half of what she writes about Mao then he was one seriously crazy bastard...
It isn't, but I like Werner, too. Need to see more, but "Stroszek" was interesting!

I have a copy of "Wild Swans" somewhere. A difficult read, certainly.

Joe_Twelvepack
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Joe_Twelvepack »

Auntie Mame, of all things. I picked it up off the dollar rack at the local bookstore. Plenty of good, boozey humor.
typing carefully, drinking recklessly

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Check this shit oooouuuuut! (ala: Jeepers Creepers Semistar)

http://www.npr.org/2011/12/08/143386922 ... ion-nights

The supposed greatest work of Japanese Science fiction that is finally available in English. I heard the above review and immediately ordered. I haven't started it yet, though.

I have been reading some of these:

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/fiction/
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

FNZ wrote:Check this shit oooouuuuut! (ala: Jeepers Creepers Semistar)

http://www.npr.org/2011/12/08/143386922 ... ion-nights

The supposed greatest work of Japanese Science fiction that is finally available in English. I heard the above review and immediately ordered. I haven't started it yet, though.

I have been reading some of these:

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/fiction/
That sounds great, if a bit heavy.
Asura in her one-on-one energy weapon duel with Jesus
Damn.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

The God Delusion. I'm about the only person in the galaxy who hasn't read it yet.
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

GinSoakedGirl wrote:The God Delusion. I'm about the only person in the galaxy who hasn't read it yet.
Nope, we're at least two.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Just finished "Last Train To Memphis" (@1995/Peter Guralnick). It chronicles, in a completely humanistic way (no gushing fan fluff), Elvis Presley's life from his birth, up until when he shipped out to Germany with the U.S. Army in 1958.

The detail and breadth of the historical research, the extensive, quoted remembrances of Presley's contemporaries, along with Guralnick's own, understated, reasonable and quite logical suppositions, are all of the highest caliber.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Superfucker
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Superfucker »

The Dark Side of the Sun - Terry Pratchett, which you should be a little drunk while reading.

Just finished Uncorking the Past by Patrick E. McGovern, a great book if you have any interest in the role of Alcohol in our earliest civilizations, and who the hell doesn't?
What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

G_W
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by G_W »

I just started Three Sheets to the Wind: One Man's Quest for the Meaning of Beer by Pete Brown. A book that starts out "Fancy a pint?" is going to be great.
steved wrote:Proof is just information.
"We're all in a freak show. It's called life. Buy a ticket and enjoy the ride." - Foamy the Squirrel

kowalski
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by kowalski »

Shane's Dentist wrote:
kowalski wrote:

It isn't, but I like Werner, too. Need to see more, but "Stroszek" was interesting!

I have a copy of "Wild Swans" somewhere. A difficult read, certainly.
If you enjoyed Strosek then maybe check out Fitzcarraldo or Aguirre the Wrath of God. If you want to be a bit freaked out then watch Even Dwarfs Started Small.... He's also done some really good documentaries over the past 10 years which are worth watching.
Snakebite & Blue Bols <-- The Drink of Champions

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Even Dwarfs Started Small....
One of my favorite flicks of all time just for the simple oddity of it.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought