What are you reading right now?

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Don't alienate the cods.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

willerror
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by willerror »

Francis Phelan wrote:A couple of books by Christopher Hitchens ("God Is Not Great" and "Letters to a Young Contrarian") and "The Ballad of the Sad Café" by Carson McCullers.
I haven't read "Letters" but the other two are great! Reminds me, I haven't read any McCullers in *years*...

willerror
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by willerror »

Booz Hound wrote:The Dirt by Motly Crew. Good book lot of nastyness, but more more drugs and sex than drink. Except Mick Mars he's a boozaholick extrodinare.
Bought that in hardcover as soon as it came out. Not b/c I'm such a huge Crue fan but, as a fan of rock'n'roll debauch, I knew I would get my money's worth. And I did. It is seriously one of the greatest rock music bios ever.

slipperyyoke
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by slipperyyoke »

I'm currently trying to finish up one of those things that I should have read years ago, but never got around to it.

"The Divine Comedy" - Dante Alighieri.

I'm about halfway through "Purgatorio" at the moment. I'll see all you drunkards in Paradise. Cheers.
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

slipperyyoke wrote:I'm currently trying to finish up one of those things that I should have read years ago, but never got around to it.

Meh, he's not that funny.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

BeerMakesMeSmart
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by BeerMakesMeSmart »

FNZ wrote:
slipperyyoke wrote:I'm currently trying to finish up one of those things that I should have read years ago, but never got around to it.

Meh, he's not that funny.
Don't listen to him. All he likes is dick jokes.
I'll miss you, pallie.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

What about this one: what's brown and sounds like a bell?

DUNG!

Swede
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Swede »

Got a couple of pages left of "The Dirt" which is following the lives of the Mötley Crüe members, starting with each of their childhoods. I ordered "Slash" and "Welcome to the Jungle" the other day. Recently read Nikki Sixx's "Heroin Diaries". As Slash was a friend of the band and Nikki in particular I expect to see some interweaving stories. While "Heroin Diaries" was mostly from Nikki's point of view with shorter comments from other people - Slash included - "The Dirt" is the same story told by everyone in the band, including John Corabi and managers and whatnot, it's somewhat overlapping and shows how the same thing can be perceived so differently by different people. In the GnR books I'm hoping to read a bit more about Axl who, in the Mötley books, is depicted as an class act A-hole.

After this I have to get the Ozzy book, hope they release a pocket soon. I'm sure it'll have some very interesting reading as Ozzy shows in stories in The Dirt that snorting ants, pissing and licking up his own piss as well as Nikki's - all in the same moment - is a good way to display that he's in fact the craziest son of a bitch of them all.

Milspec
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Milspec »

The Unvanquished by Faulkner..just finished planet of the apes by boulle on the can.
"Trinke liebchen, trinke schnell, trinken macht die augen hell!"

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

willerror wrote:
Francis Phelan wrote:A couple of books by Christopher Hitchens ("God Is Not Great" and "Letters to a Young Contrarian") and "The Ballad of the Sad Café" by Carson McCullers.
I haven't read "Letters" but the other two are great! Reminds me, I haven't read any McCullers in *years*...
Having enjoyed McCullers once more (I enjoyed "The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter" last year), I'm planning to get further into "Letters..." tomorrow. Been reading "God Is Not Great" tonight, but a few more beers and I'd have to revisit it all again tomorrow.

Also have "Lucky Jim" by Kingsley Amis and several Hemingway books waiting in the wings.

waahoohah
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Location: http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/ ... a_flag.png

Post by waahoohah »

Packing For Mars, by Mary Roach. I bonded with the Alberts. I now know what fecal popcorning is.
"Beginner's luck is only possible if you try."

-Lee Harvey Oswald

Steve
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Steve »

Just started Haunted by the guy who wrote Fight Club, whose name I have trouble spelling or pronouncing.

BeerMakesMeSmart
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by BeerMakesMeSmart »

Steve wrote:Just started Haunted by the guy who wrote Fight Club, whose name I have trouble spelling or pronouncing.
Jo Polniaczek
I'll miss you, pallie.

Steve
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Steve »

BeerMakesMeSmart wrote:
Steve wrote:Just started Haunted by the guy who wrote Fight Club, whose name I have trouble spelling or pronouncing.
Jo Polniaczek
Close enough.

binary
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by binary »

Starting in on Hemingway's short stories and looking to make a tour of the Lost Generation's literature. It's nice sitting down with a book again, haven't done it in a while.

I'm also reading many books about chess on the side.