$5 steakhouse Martini happy hour

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

$5 steakhouse Martini happy hour

Post by Badfellow »

The place is called the Lexington.

I've driven by numerous afternoons witnessing old fools dressed in their finery stumbling drunkenly out into the light of day. It's a steakhouse/bar, a landmark of sorts having graced the corner of Grand Ave. and Lexington Parkway in St. Paul for some 76 years. Today, I shall be the old fool. From 2:00-5:00 PM there stands at the Lex a most generous Martini happy hour, any and all for $5 per. And their gin set includes Hendricks.

Snob cocktails at dive prices.

If three Martinis are a lunch, then four are dinner and six is a feast.

Cheers, Drunkards. I will drink to you and yours right after finishing the "fuck you, Applebee's" toast.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: $5 steakhouse Martini happy hour

Post by Badfellow »

Funny. When faced with Martini, I reverted to Manhattans.

Rye is god.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

JohnnyT

Post by JohnnyT »

Excellent choice, good sir. Do they serve complimentary tri tip sammiches? My old steakhouse I used to haunt always did.

bluebottle
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by bluebottle »

hmmm, a steakhouse drunk with martinis. sounds classic. what will you be eating and what will you wear? i would go with filet mignon wrapped in bacon and a suit. maybe a cigar for later, stand around outside and smoke...

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

J. Tequila wrote:Do they serve complimentary tri tip sammiches? My old steakhouse I used to haunt always did.
I know this is offensive, but: tri tip only really exists in California. A lot of people on the East Coast have never even heard of it. It's unexplainable.

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

bluebottle wrote:hmmm, a steakhouse drunk with martinis. sounds classic.
Yeah. It seems like an odd combo but steaks and martinis just go together perfectly. Have you ever been to the House of Prime Rib? The gin and cow blood flows like water

bluebottle
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by bluebottle »

Chimneyfish wrote:
bluebottle wrote:hmmm, a steakhouse drunk with martinis. sounds classic.
Yeah. It seems like an odd combo but steaks and martinis just go together perfectly. Have you ever been to the House of Prime Rib? The gin and cow blood flows like water
i have heard of the house of prime rib! i think i may have walked by it once. always wanted to check it out - sounds wonderful.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Yeah, tri-tip is good food. When the Grump and I worked at Vampire Vic's, we ate the best tri-tip sandwiches ever. I feel sorry for the rest of the country, if they can't get such good meat. We dragged ourselves to a semi-local posh steakhouse, with aged beef, and extraordinary prices. Good stuff, but the meat's just as good at our little joint in town, and a lot cheaper.
Also, a dive bar in town advertises prime rib. Seriously? I can only imagine what a dreadful gristle pile it must be.
like tears in rain

Martini Time
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Martini Time »

Chimneyfish wrote:The gin and cow blood flows like water
HoPR!! Love that place!! Always be sure to hold the lid when you pour out of your own personal shaker.

Good show, Badfellow!!
"Martinis are a balm against a sordid world, a shield against all that is sullied, rushed and coarse"

bluebottle
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by bluebottle »

Martini Time wrote:
Chimneyfish wrote:The gin and cow blood flows like water
HoPR!! Love that place!! Always be sure to hold the lid when you pour out of your own personal shaker.

Good show, Badfellow!!
and you are? and you only come out for steak and martinis? hey, how does one have to dress for HoPR? is there a tie policy?

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

I don't like Bourdain but I like that his visit to San Francisco was the episode where he got the drunkest. Seems appropriate. Here's the HoPR part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TUaTIgnSgI&t=13m0s

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Tonight we had our own little steakhouse dinner. Small just-over-rare filets, finished with garlic butter, cheesy special mashed potatoes, broccoli with garlic, lemon and parmesan, and red wine. Delicious, and worlds better than the beans we used to have to eat, many years ago.
like tears in rain

bluebottle
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by bluebottle »

go pink, like i say. man, having worked kitchens across the usa, i tell you there is nothing like being an expediter - you get to taste everything just to make sure, but my favorite was dipping my pinkie into the puddled juices atop a mid-rare steak before it left la ventana. that is pure heaven. as well, the long island agreement with the bartenders - an (accidently) overcooked rare t=bone? well, keep it uner the bar. dojn't tell anybody! nothing like constant booze when you work the kitchen.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

And the cook's treat is the little bits one has to trim, so the presented steak has no nasty silver fat.
like tears in rain

bluebottle
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by bluebottle »

you can't beat hot beef fat! pork steak hot fat is even better tho i think. i hope bf remembers this post and tells us about it later. i just hope he dressed nice.