Finally made it back

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

MikeNZ
Booze Head
Booze Head

Finally made it back

Post by MikeNZ »

Hi Folks,
You may have heard of the earthquakes we had down in this part of the world in February and the aftershocks in June.
It has not been a nice time down here at all, electricians like myself are absolutely flat out working 6 days a week.
As they say, work is the curse of the drinking man, there hasn't been enough time to get a decent amount of alcohol into my system.
Couple this with the fact that the alcohol distribution centre was hit very hard during the Feb 22 quake, I saw a picture of it in the paper here,
I cried real tears, so many lovely bottles of alcoholic loveliness were lost in one foul swoop.

Things are slowly getting better here, it is a PITA to drive anywhere, with buckled roads, mud everywhere and bricks and mortar all over the streets.
If this happens again, it is pretty much going to do this great city in, people have left as it is, they are just sick of cleaning shit up only to be back to
square one a few months later.

We need more than luck here, not knowing what is around the corner, is even worse, we could have a 9.0+ (touch wood we don't) quake that could level everything.
You can't predict these things, they just happen when they do.

Sorry about the downer thread, I just needed to get a few things off my chest.
Go hard or go home!

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Finally made it back

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Good luck down there. Sorry to hear of your liquor supply. Stock up with what you can find and keep it in a well cushioned indestructable container.
Cheers man.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Judge

Post by Judge »

Buck up my friend. If the booze supply completley runs out, the market will prevail. Invest in a small dockside tavern and be willing to talk to swarthy men in leaky boats wanting to offload a shipment of "medical supplies".

And get a great hat. You gotta have a great hat to go with this. And maybe a cigar. Good looking women are for decoration in the tavern. Get a tough woman to be your partner. But don't let her carry a gun. Keep a fast boat fueled at all times.

Ihave a book around here somewhere with the other rules but I can't find it. When I do, I'll be on my way.
Proverbs 31:6&7

"Pain is sometimes the price of laughter."-Oggar

CPE1704TKS

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane"-Marcus Aurelius

And afterwords we can run amok! Or if you're too tired, we can walk amok.

MikeNZ
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by MikeNZ »

Ohh,
Don't worry Judge, one of the FIRST things that happened here after any quake is that the alcohol supply was sorted out.
The prospect of a dry city would have been something that NO-ONE would have even liked to think about, let alone let it happen.
My bar at home here is always well stocked for emergencies such as these, in some cases I've doubled up on things like good whiskey.
You just never know when the ground could start shaking again and I don't even want to think about the concept of not having any medicine
should it be needed for "first-aid" purposes.
These are in polystyrene containers on the bottom shelf, so that they cannot fall.
At NZ$150 a bottle, I'd like to keep them safe.
Go hard or go home!

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:Good luck down there. Sorry to hear of your liquor supply. Stock up with what you can find and keep it in a well cushioned indestructable container.
Cheers man.
My friend speaks for me.
Good luck man and keep the good work going, those people just need what you do to be able to host their friends and relatives and forget all those difficult times.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

Gin McGuinness
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Gin McGuinness »

All the best to you mate. My mother-in-law watched houses pulled down on her street while the only thing she lost was figurines and art. Her place is inside the CBD and has to carry "papers" to prove she lived there. The last big quake trapped my sister-in-law in her house for 3 hours and when she finally crawled out of the rubble of her home, she found her car crushed by her garage. She couldn't leave to fetch her children because the driveway had turned to liquid. So many buildings of my husband's youth have vanished. Cashel street, the arts centre, Merrivalle mall, etc have very different vibes. Even our daughter was gobbsmacked by the Cathedral and started a fundraiser at her school. Mr McG will be in CHCH in Sept/Oct for the games. I am sure he'll get a sense of the PTSDs the folks of home have been experiencing. Again, all the best to you and your loved ones. Give me your favorite bevie and in other needs in PM and I'll have the Mr deliver a care package when he arrives.
"Personally I prefer the buzz between 'all is good and well in the universe with this glass' drunk and 'IM A FUCKING VIKING!' drunk." Impish Boozehound

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

Damn. I'm lucky to live in a relatively disaster-free part of the earth.

It sucks to work so much but at least you're staying paid, right? Look on the bright side(lots of drinks will help with that)
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James