Unions suck

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Re: Unions suck

Post by Smatter Noguts »

coqui_chris wrote:Well my Fios tv is out ... Internet still works, though ...

Fuck it. Hit the bricks to stay in the middle class, boys! I just want the same support if/when WE go on strike in 3 years ...
I'll give you a big hug and buy you a drink if you walk into my local, my MDM brother.

Your walk in, order 4 doubles and say "put it on his tab" and we go down.

Jags
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Jags »

Fuck it. Hit the bricks to stay in the middle class, boys! I just want the same support if/when WE go on strike in 3 years ...

What's your gig? What do we have to look forward to loosing service on?

I'm not assigned to FIOS but we did get a whole block restored today that a back hoe cut the phone cable.
-------------------------------------

The older I get, the better I was.

It's damn expensive to look this cheap.

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Jags wrote:

I'm not assigned to FIOS but we did get a whole block restored today that a back hoe cut the phone cable.
Verizon can't put my tv service back in and they're trying to tell me they can't afford to let the Workin' Man remain in the middle class even though they're running ads on all the radio stations???? Maybe they borrowed the money from China ...
Last edited by coqui_chris on Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Last edited by coqui_chris on Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

DeeboCools wrote:2 recent union victories to help encourage verizon workers on strike:

http://www.inthesetimes.com/working/ent ... for_union/

http://www.alternet.org/story/151909/un ... &width=980
They're telling us our next contract is going to be a tough one. Plus the company straight up told our new regime that they're going to try and take advantage of them in the public light. Unfortunately there are plenty of dingbats ... er, dumb asses out there to swallow the management tripe. After my first paycheck, I'm going to the local's credit union to start a Strike Fund.

John Barleycorn
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by John Barleycorn »

coqui_chris wrote:
DeeboCools wrote:2 recent union victories to help encourage verizon workers on strike:

They're telling us our next contract is going to be a tough one. Plus the company straight up told our new regime that they're going to try and take advantage of them in the public light. Unfortunately there are plenty of dingbats ... er, dumb asses out there to swallow the management tripe. After my first paycheck, I'm going to the local's credit union to start a Strike Fund.
Last time we had contract negotiations they wanted a 3 year pay freeze. So we struck right when they really needed our work and we ended up getting bigger raises than the previous contract.

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

John Barleycorn wrote:
coqui_chris wrote:

Last time we had contract negotiations they wanted a 3 year pay freeze. So we struck right when they really needed our work and we ended up getting bigger raises than the previous contract.
To them, the 1% or 2% raise is peanuts. Its the benefits and the HMO and the prescription, dental, vision that irks them. If they could, they'd have us all working for company script shopping at the company store and mortgaging a company house and they'd toss us on the street if we got hurt on the job like the 1870s. Up the Molly Maguires!

God forbid the Workin' Man gets a good enough package at work that after his families' emergencies and medicine is paid for he can give them the essentials and then splurge on some consumer goods that keep another American employed in a warehouse, on a truck or a train, in a store and as a repairman. Who needs a Middle Class anymore, am I right folks????

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Fuck, people, I tried but I just couldn't resist. You hung it over the plate and I put it in the Anaheim Valley like my name is Ryan Howard.

Next round's on me ... If I can see your Union Card ...

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

But you said you vote Republican...

Jags
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Jags »

coqui_chris wrote:
Jags wrote:

It wasn't in Upper Darby.

Verizon can't put my tv service back in and they're trying to tell me they can't afford to let the Workin' Man remain in the middle class even though they're running ads on all the radio stations???? Maybe they borrowed the money from China ...
I don't think having workers that make $70K contribute $600 a year to their health care will bump them out of the middle class.
-------------------------------------

The older I get, the better I was.

It's damn expensive to look this cheap.

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

Jags wrote:
coqui_chris wrote: Verizon can't put my tv service back in and they're trying to tell me they can't afford to let the Workin' Man remain in the middle class even though they're running ads on all the radio stations???? Maybe they borrowed the money from China ...
I don't think having workers that make $70K contribute $600 a year to their health care will bump them out of the middle class.
It's about more than that. http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/0 ... &width=980
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

lanternchikk
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by lanternchikk »

You rock, coqui_chris! Great to see someone like you speaking up.

I assume that you define middle class based on income and living standard, rather than one's role in production and society. Middle class being anyone who has enough to not be poor, to be able to sustain a decent living standard, regardless of their role in the production process. That is one definition.
Another one is that middle class means something more along the lines of petit-bourgeois: a small-business owner, or perhaps a professional (doctor, lawyer etc).
Further along those lines, the workin' man and the workin' woman are working class - even if they are relatively well-paid, which is unsurprisingly becoming rarer these days.

There is nothing to be ashamed about being working class, and there is absolutely nothing wrong about defending yourself against people that screw you over, or indeed an entire system that has some people screwing over almost everyone else.

Up the Molly Maguires indeed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPqSmvnOdTQ
Die Götter sind besoffen, der Olymp ist vollgekotzt.

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Smatter Noguts wrote:But you said you vote Republican...
Last edited by coqui_chris on Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

BTW Miller High Life = Union Made.

Juss' sayin'