Unions suck

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

DrShoggoth
Tippler
Tippler

Re: Unions suck

Post by DrShoggoth »

ChiliDawg wrote:I must weigh in on the side of "suck"

My company shows product at a trade show at the Mart in Chicago, every year. Our product is one that involves major assembly, on site, and power tools (drills) are necessary. The problem is that the Merchandise Mart has it's on labor crew, which of course is unionized, being that it is Chicago. That being the case, we cannot operate the power tools without one of these jackasses supervising us, or doing the work themselves, at a rate of about $45-50.00 per hour.

Since these guys aren't familiar with our assembly process, it basically boils down to us paying these turkeys to sit in our presence, and drink a coke, while we do all of the work.

Total insanity!
What kind of drunk are you that you look at that and scorn it instead of aspiring to it? Don't hate the man getting paid too much to be too little. Become him!

ChiliDawg
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by ChiliDawg »

DrShoggoth wrote:

My company shows product at a trade show at the Mart in Chicago, every year. Our product is one that involves major assembly, on site, and power tools (drills) are necessary. The problem is that the Merchandise Mart has it's on labor crew, which of course is unionized, being that it is Chicago. That being the case, we cannot operate the power tools without one of these jackasses supervising us, or doing the work themselves, at a rate of about $45-50.00 per hour.

Since these guys aren't familiar with our assembly process, it basically boils down to us paying these turkeys to sit in our presence, and drink a coke, while we do all of the work.

Total insanity!
What kind of drunk are you that you look at that and scorn it instead of aspiring to it? Don't hate the man getting paid too much to be too little. Become him!
The kind that believes in EARNING his pay, but if they can live with it, God blessem' I suppose. Call me old fashioned.

Now, as is tradition, New Guy Buys! I'll have SJ with crushed ice and a HL. Thank You!

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

ChiliDawg wrote:
DrShoggoth wrote:

Total insanity!
The kind that believes in EARNING his pay, but if they can live with it, God blessem' I suppose. Call me old fashioned.

Now, as is tradition, New Guy Buys! I'll have SJ with crushed ice and a HL. Thank You!
The idea that you can't move ahead based on your earnings in a Union Shop is complete bullshit and I'll tell you why:

Union Positions are strictly hourly. Find me a Management Union. I know, I know, the Episcopal Church. No, but seriously, an actual Management Union.

Management positions require you to leave behind your Collective Bargaining Agreement and work long hours assuming all kinds of unspecified duties for a base salary with your continual hire being based on unit-performance and company profit. So seek a promotion! The upper echelons are the ones who do the hiring, so you have no union seniority and favoritism to blame.

What, all that excess responsibilities for uncertain compensation seems unfair to you and you'd rather stay in an hourly position? You lazy union bum! No wonder our country's going down the Communist drain! Red Pinko Commie Spy!
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

John Barleycorn
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by John Barleycorn »

DrShoggoth wrote:

Total insanity!
I salute your priorities.

Jags
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Jags »

DeeboCools wrote:
Jags wrote:
coqui_chris wrote: Verizon can't put my tv service back in and they're trying to tell me they can't afford to let the Workin' Man remain in the middle class even though they're running ads on all the radio stations???? Maybe they borrowed the money from China ...
I don't think having workers that make $70K contribute $600 a year to their health care will bump them out of the middle class.
It's about more than that. http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/0 ... &width=980
What this article fails to include is that verizonwireless (non union) is making all the money and the wireline side that the union works for has been bleeding land lines and is not profitable anymore. If you look at it from a division standpoint, the wireline side has to make cuts or verizon will sell it off to someone like Frontier who is also cutting union contracts to become more in line with the current economy. http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2009/04/22/4146202.htm

One of the things verizon is putting on the table this time is raises based on performance instead of every worker getting the same raise. The managers I'm working with have noticed that the loudest and most front line strikers are the ones that can barely do their jobs in the first place and the guys that just stand back are the performers.
-------------------------------------

The older I get, the better I was.

It's damn expensive to look this cheap.

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

No, but I really love onions I could eat a whole onion right now
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Screwball
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Location: A half foot away from a cat's nutsack. I Gotta get the DevilKat Fixed!

Post by Screwball »

Stiggs
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Stiggs »

Fuck the Union. We rebels down here.
I smell gas.....

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Stiggs wrote:Fuck the Union. We rebels down here.
Virgil Cane is the name and I work on the Danville train ...

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

lanternchikk
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by lanternchikk »

DrShoggoth wrote: What kind of drunk are you that you look at that and scorn it instead of aspiring to it? Don't hate the man getting paid too much to be too little. Become him!
Ah, yes, strive to become the one sitting smugly on top of society. How sweet. I used to be a libertarian too, for about two months, when I was younger and very deluded.
Pro-tip: joining a union is not neccessarily the best way to become "the man getting paid too much to be too little". Try inheriting a vast sum instead, or perhaps swindling.
Die Götter sind besoffen, der Olymp ist vollgekotzt.

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

lanternchikk wrote:
DrShoggoth wrote: What kind of drunk are you that you look at that and scorn it instead of aspiring to it? Don't hate the man getting paid too much to be too little. Become him!
Ah, yes, strive to become the one sitting smugly on top of society. How sweet. I used to be a libertarian too, for about two months, when I was younger and very deluded.
Pro-tip: joining a union is not neccessarily the best way to become "the man getting paid too much to be too little". Try inheriting a vast sum instead, or perhaps swindling.
Now now, not everybody can work for the mortgage industry