How to prep for a whisky tasting?

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar

Wings Of Wax
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:33 am

How to prep for a whisky tasting?

Post by Wings Of Wax » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:31 pm

The following is pretty obvious to everybody who drinks fine whiskys. However, I am really new to single malts, so bear with me....

What you eat or drink before drinking single malts seems really important if you want to get the best of the single malt taste.

So what tricks and protocols do you use in order to prime your taste buds for the expensive drops? Water would be an obvious way of doing it. But say you just brushed your teeth, that will affect the taste of the whisky significantly. So what do you do?

It's probably easier all around to avoid certain food/nonfoods before partaking in the sippin'.

So basically, if you want to, please share your thoughts!

ps) I've had one glass of Glenfiddich 18yo, and I feel really intoxicated. There has to be something in single malts that makes the intoxication much more ... interesting and stimulating. And clean, without the feeling that you are pouring drain cleaner down your throat. Really something.

User avatar
Jags
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders
Posts: 457
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:35 am
Location: Virginia

Re: How to prep for a whisky tasting?

Post by Jags » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:26 pm

I would say it's like taking a breathalyzer. Wait 20 minutes before tasting after food or beverage other than alcohol including brushing teeth. If you're tasting multiple whiskey's maybe use coffee to clear your palate the same as sniffing coffee to clear your nose when testing perfumes.

This will also help you stay up so you can sample longer. Plus coffee is good for your liver to help it keep in good shape for processing your imbibing.
-------------------------------------

The older I get, the better I was.

It's damn expensive to look this cheap.

User avatar
peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie
Posts: 10390
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:05 am
Location: Belgium, Austin TX, SoCal, Branson MO, Cape Cod MA

Re: How to prep for a whisky tasting?

Post by peetie44 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:25 pm

Wings Of Wax wrote:The following is pretty obvious to everybody who drinks fine whiskys. However, I am really new to single malts, so bear with me....

What you eat or drink before drinking single malts seems really important if you want to get the best of the single malt taste.

So what tricks and protocols do you use in order to prime your taste buds for the expensive drops? Water would be an obvious way of doing it. But say you just brushed your teeth, that will affect the taste of the whisky significantly. So what do you do?

It's probably easier all around to avoid certain food/nonfoods before partaking in the sippin'.

So basically, if you want to, please share your thoughts!

ps) I've had one glass of Glenfiddich 18yo, and I feel really intoxicated. There has to be something in single malts that makes the intoxication much more ... interesting and stimulating. And clean, without the feeling that you are pouring drain cleaner down your throat. Really something.

Dude...maybe you might consider consolidating a few of your whisky threads?

Just sayin'...
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

User avatar
Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill
Posts: 5081
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:44 pm
Location: on my way to a bar

Re: How to prep for a whisky tasting?

Post by Wingman » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:26 am

icarus, you're obviously sticking around, which is cool, but yer gonna need an av.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

User avatar
Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Posts: 2834
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:09 am
Location: Coming in your back door.

Re: How to prep for a whisky tasting?

Post by Resident Asshole » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:15 am

I would imagine it's like doing a beer tasting. We clean our glasses (or use a new one) in between beers. We also either cleanse our palate with water or saltless crackers.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

User avatar
Surreal
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:54 am
Location: stage left

Re: How to prep for a whisky tasting?

Post by Surreal » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:24 pm

How to prep for a whiskey tasting?

in a word, "Bourbon".

Front loading is key.
fuck em man, it ain't easy walkin the righteous path.
- Hoss

User avatar
Mayhems
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: How to prep for a whisky tasting?

Post by Mayhems » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:29 pm

Surreal wrote:How to prep for a whiskey tasting?

in a word, "Bourbon".

Front loading is key.
This, and wear a helmet.

User avatar
peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie
Posts: 10390
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:05 am
Location: Belgium, Austin TX, SoCal, Branson MO, Cape Cod MA

Re: How to prep for a whisky tasting?

Post by peetie44 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:36 pm

Mayhem Anomaly wrote:
Surreal wrote:How to prep for a whiskey tasting?

in a word, "Bourbon".

Front loading is key.
This, and wear a helmet.
Bills fans, too.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

User avatar
Judge
Moderator
Posts: 7705
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:01 pm
Location: Can't find my ass with two hands

Re: How to prep for a whisky tasting?

Post by Judge » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:00 am

Give your wallet to a very trusted friend. Not a girlfriend, a friend. Make sure you're wearing old underwear and have $20 bucks in cab fare in the left back pocket of your pants.

If you have more than one credit card bring the one with the lowest available credit.

Work on being very polite to the bartender and try for a seat on either end (if you are right handed try for the right end of the bar for puke purposes). Not that you should puke but you might do it wrong.

Tip heavily because you're proclamations on the whiskys will not impress the bartender but he/she will keep them coming.

She doesn't think you're cute or funny. She'll leave when your card maxes out.
Proverbs 31:6&7

"Pain is sometimes the price of laughter."-Oggar

CPE1704TKS

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane"-Marcus Aurelius

And afterwords we can run amok! Or if you're too tired, we can walk amok.

User avatar
ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie
Posts: 12272
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:35 pm
Location: Xenia

Re: How to prep for a whisky tasting?

Post by ThirstyDrunk » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:13 pm

Wingman wrote:icarus, you're obviously sticking around, which is cool, but yer gonna need an I.V.
To be fair, I'm drunker than you.

User avatar
BBoozer
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:14 am
Location: In the promised land of Belgium

Re: How to prep for a whisky tasting?

Post by BBoozer » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:52 am

Wings Of Wax wrote:
ps) I've had one glass of Glenfiddich 18yo, and I feel really intoxicated.
I don't want to offend you, so I apologize up front, but are you on the right board? Are you the same age as the Glenfiddich?

User avatar
Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie
Posts: 24799
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:16 am
Location: All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go

Re: How to prep for a whisky tasting?

Post by Savage » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:50 pm

I do tend to rinse the glass out between
other than that, i try not to sip from my flask
like tears in rain

User avatar
Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Posts: 2961
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:55 am
Location: Finland

Re: How to prep for a whisky tasting?

Post by Bur » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:38 am

I tend to start with waking up like today. Now on to the bowmore.

User avatar
Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie
Posts: 24799
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:16 am
Location: All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go

Re: How to prep for a whisky tasting?

Post by Savage » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:16 pm

Judge wrote:Give your wallet to a very trusted friend. Not a girlfriend, a friend. Make sure you're wearing old underwear and have $20 bucks in cab fare in the left back pocket of your pants.

If you have more than one credit card bring the one with the lowest available credit.

Work on being very polite to the bartender and try for a seat on either end (if you are right handed try for the right end of the bar for puke purposes). Not that you should puke but you might do it wrong.

Tip heavily because you're proclamations on the whiskys will not impress the bartender but he/she will keep them coming.

She doesn't think you're cute or funny. She'll leave when your card maxes out.
Damn. You have it all figured out. Did you major in Drinking 101 in college?
like tears in rain

User avatar
ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie
Posts: 12272
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:35 pm
Location: Xenia

Re: How to prep for a whisky tasting?

Post by ThirstyDrunk » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:43 am

Bur wrote:I tend to start with waking up.
Cheers to the simplest approach.
To be fair, I'm drunker than you.

Post Reply