Watch Barfly

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Frankennietzsche, Bur, ThirstyDrunk

KissMyPabst
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Re: Watch Barfly

Post by KissMyPabst »

I ordered it on VHS off half.com a few years back for a whopping $0.99 I believe. When you factor in the $3.50 for shipping, and the dozen or so times I've watched it while happily drinking along, it remains quite the bargain. God, I love Buk.

And ironically, it just so happens that I also drunkenly bought a few Chuck Norris films from the same site for a whopping $0.75 over the past few years. Lone Wolf McQuade is EPIC!
Can I pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?
A little early isn't it, Woody?
For a beer?
No, for stupid questions...

"I got me a bottle and a dream, it's so maudlin it seems..."

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I just watched this and it certainly doesn't seem overhyped
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Uncle Sal
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Uncle Sal »

Is it a hijack if I recommend Born Into This and also the Bukowski Tapes? Sorry if that is the case. Ham on Rye and Post Office for good measure. Carry on.
need a woman be good to me... won't hide my whiskey try to serve me tea...

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

If you haven't seen it, you can watch it here.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Uncle Sal
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Uncle Sal »

Great link Good Doctor. I could back up my copy if anyone has a blank DVD.
need a woman be good to me... won't hide my whiskey try to serve me tea...

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

Had the great pleasure of meeting Alice Krige (AKA Tully Sorenson, AKA The Borg Queen) at a collector's gathering in Glasgow today. I only found out that she was appearing yesterday, but I figured that it'd be nice to get the chance to talk to her.

I still don't know anything about Star Trek, DS9, TNG, etc, so I decided to speak to her about Barfly. What a lovely woman. We spent a good few minutes discussing the cast and director, what she thought about the film, her (limited) meetings with Bukowski (she only saw him watching the filming during the catfight scene) and talking about what she was doing these days. It sounded like the whole film was a bit of a party. Views differ from source to source, of course.

Somewhere in between, she signed the cover of my Barfly VHS.

...then I went for a few beers before work. Almost nothing bad happened.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Shane-O-Matic wrote:Had the great pleasure of meeting Alice Krige (AKA Tully Sorenson, AKA The Borg Queen) at a collector's gathering in Glasgow today...
Nicely done, my friend.
Shane-O-Matic wrote:...We spent a good few minutes discussing the cast and director, what she thought about the film, her (limited) meetings with Bukowski...
It gets better and better; I see a great future as an interviewer with that kind of conversational tactic.
Shane-O-Matic wrote:...then I went for a few beers before work. Almost nothing bad happened.
The perfect ending to a tale, well told, of deeds well done.

I shall see that you are mentioned in dispatches for this, my good man! Stand tall, sir; for today you are a Modern Drunkard amidst mere mortals!
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Resident Asshole wrote:Yes, if you haven't seen the movie you are not a true drunkard. I will stand by that. I don't want to hear anymore whiny shit about how you can't find it. Don't bother looking at your local rental store or the library or your brother's DVD collection. They don't have it. But, it was re-released in 2009. The original releases are worth a lot of money but the re-release is normally priced.

http://www.amazon.com/Barfly-Mickey-Rou ... 482&sr=1-1

There it is. No more bitching. It's PAL format but my player plays it and an Xbox will play it also. If you can't play PAL they have the other version for $30 and the VHS for $8. And if you can't afford $18 then I will mail it to you for the cost of shipping. Now watch it. It is truly the best drunkard movie. Cheers!

Sylvester Stallone's brother is the bartender in the movie and check out this descrip:

"The script for this movie was written by outrageous poet-author-alcoholic Charles Bukowski. But director Barbet Schroeder makes it into an oddly amusing story of a pugnacious drunk writer (Mickey Rourke) based on Bukowski himself. Rourke spends almost all of his time at the bar, struggling with undrunkenness (he's against it) and, occasionally, having fistfights with the bartender (Frank Stallone). He meets another souse, a formerly attractive woman (Faye Dunaway), and gets involved with her, which means they drink copious amounts of liquor and try to have sex. "
Video tape is obsolete. Have the distributors heard of DVD?
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

Palinka wrote:
Shane-O-Matic wrote:Had the great pleasure of meeting Alice Krige (AKA Tully Sorenson, AKA The Borg Queen) at a collector's gathering in Glasgow today...
Nicely done, my friend.
Shane-O-Matic wrote:...We spent a good few minutes discussing the cast and director, what she thought about the film, her (limited) meetings with Bukowski...
It gets better and better; I see a great future as an interviewer with that kind of conversational tactic.
Shane-O-Matic wrote:...then I went for a few beers before work. Almost nothing bad happened.
The perfect ending to a tale, well told, of deeds well done.

I shall see that you are mentioned in dispatches for this, my good man! Stand tall, sir; for today you are a Modern Drunkard amidst mere mortals!
You're very kind, P. Just dumb luck (but that counts too, right?) that got me there, but it was good. I've been interviewing people about music for years, but I've never really enjoyed it. This wee chat was fantastic. Crazy to think that Mickey Rourke didn't wash for the duration of the filming...

tomodon
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by tomodon »

Ah, no way Shane's that's brilliant meeting yer wan from Barfly / Borg Lady. She give you goose-pimples blowing on ya?!

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

tomodon wrote:Ah, no way Shane's that's brilliant meeting yer wan from Barfly / Borg Lady. She give you goose-pimples blowing on ya?!
HA! Entirely possible, tomodon! Hope all's well with you.

Duluoz
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Duluoz »

Palinka's link is now busted, so I'm just going to leave this here.

Enjoy.
"My witness is the empty sky."

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Duluoz wrote:Palinka's link is now busted, so I'm just going to leave this here.

Enjoy.
Thanks for posting that link, pal!
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

eh gawd, I have this on dvd. but it's at the bottom of a pile. could it be a wrong region? oh shit. I don't know. The big pink house of crap is so full of unread and unviewed and unlistened to...
like tears in rain

Surreal
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Surreal »

Anybody can be a non-drunk. It takes a special talent to be a drunk. It takes endurance. Endurance is more important than truth.
truer words were never spoken.
fuck em man, it ain't easy walkin the righteous path.
- Hoss