Cocktail Blocked

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

elcajon64
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Cocktail Blocked

Post by elcajon64 »

I'm home today. The kids are at school and it's a nice hot day. Perfect for a drink by the pool. Except there's a guy working on the roof next-door facing my back yard. I'm going to need a few before I can sit out there without a shirt on while some fucker labors away in my direct sightline.
"Too much is never enough, and enough is just too much."

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: Cocktail Blocked

Post by Wingman »

sounds like you stepped on your own cocktail, there. if yer feeling guilty, toss him a beer when he's done. no need to not drink as you see fit just because somebody has to work....
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

Wingman, you're a scholar and a gentleman, but I have to agree with ejaculator666s decision. I would have too much class conciousness/guilt/respect to drink directly next to a man doing hard labor. It'd be like going to a minimum security prison yard fence and having sex with a woman while drinking a beer. Just not right.

Well that's a little dramatic. If I were working and saw a man drinking it would take my mind off my work and remind me of the beer at home, which would be good.(kind of, except torturous too). See what I mean?
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

deebo, i see what you're saying, but i don't think i agree with it. bartenders (in places they aren't allowed to drink), cops on st. patty's day (any day, i guess), and party bus drivers all have to work around drunks, and that's cool. now, you'll say watching someone drink isn't part of the roofer's job. damn right it ain't; he'd better keep his eyes on where he's stepping.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

As a guy who's been up in the air working whilst watching somebody kick back many a time, I can say with certainty that you should go ahead and imbibe. Sure, its torture to watch, but it helps you to focus on the task at hand, reminds you of what lies ahead in terms of post-work reward, and also makes that first sip of a beer taste that much sweeter. Shit, it makes the pop of the beer top sound downright like a choir of angels.
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

BBoozer
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by BBoozer »

elcajon64 wrote:I'm home today. The kids are at school and it's a nice hot day. Perfect for a drink by the pool. Except there's a guy working on the roof next-door facing my back yard. I'm going to need a few before I can sit out there without a shirt on while some fucker labors away in my direct sightline.
Question, regarding sitting by the pool without a shirt on, are you male or female?

BBoozer

Post by BBoozer »

If you're a woman, I can really understand why you need a few drinks before going topless by the pool while someone's watching from a nearby roof. If you're male, well, whu would you give a fuck? You own the pool, you worked for it, so you got the right to drink next to it.

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

Shit, some of the most fun I had was in Chicago at my buddy's place for a bachelor party when we got boozed up in his driveway watching a bunch of mexicans do his landscaping.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

elcajon64
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by elcajon64 »

Yesterday, I took it inside. Today it's another 5 degrees warmer so I can't not go out and kill a sixer before the kids get home from school. If the roofer is out there, he'll just have to suffer my furry moobs.
"Too much is never enough, and enough is just too much."

Hardcore Stig

Post by Hardcore Stig »

I was a croupier for many a year and I never felt badly towards a person drinking in front of me, as a few have said before, it reminded me why I work, for that sweet release at the end of the shift. Go ahead and drink, I don;t doubt he will be knocking a few back while you are looking after the kids.
"That's only a problem if you stop drinking"

"Nationality? I'm a drunkard, and that makes me a man of the world"

"The word "pub" should never need to be followed by the word "why""

Judge

Post by Judge »

Maybe the roofer was into bears....you could have made his day fabulous.
Proverbs 31:6&7

"Pain is sometimes the price of laughter."-Oggar

CPE1704TKS

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane"-Marcus Aurelius

And afterwords we can run amok! Or if you're too tired, we can walk amok.

Miklo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Miklo »

Or you could just offer him one. Believe it or not, there is a lot of drinking during construction work. A nice cold beer while roofing would hit the spot.
“And in my mind, this settles the issue. I would never drink cologne, and am therefore not an alcoholic.”
― Augusten Burroughs

Superfucker
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Superfucker »

The guy is neither a slave nor a forced laborer, in fact if he's in a union state he's probably getting paid decently, and if not he's probably not paying taxes anyway. either way he's being paid to roof and probably doesn't give a Fuck what you're doing. Do you think he gives two rat titties who's watching when he goes home and drinks his beer in his back yard?
What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

Superfucker wrote:The guy is neither a slave nor a forced laborer, in fact if he's in a union state he's probably getting paid decently, and if not he's probably not paying taxes anyway. either way he's being paid to roof and probably doesn't give a Fuck what you're doing. Do you think he gives two rat titties who's watching when he goes home and drinks his beer in his back yard?
Rat titties.
Enormous.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

elcajon64 wrote:I'm home today. The kids are at school and it's a nice hot day. Perfect for a drink by the pool. Except there's a guy working on the roof next-door facing my back yard. I'm going to need a few before I can sit out there without a shirt on while some fucker labors away in my direct sightline.
Oh bless your heart, what are you, some kind of pinko liberal? When you go to a restaurant, do you choke on your appetizer because the poor waitrons are bustling around working, instead of lounging around in the booths with drinks and dinner? Your kind of guilt is something that needs therapeutic help, except that I don't believe in therapy, I believe in getting your shit together and/or shutting the **** up. *

* See, Mom, I didn't say 'fuck'. I'm trying to make you proud.
like tears in rain