Ken Burns' doc "Prohibition"

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Ken Burns' doc "Prohibition"

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

This was a great show, it actuallly made me drink more. And I love a happy ending. Aint nobody gonna try that shit again here in this country. Fuck republicans, fuck the Klan, and fuck the womens christian temperance buullshit.
I am more drunker than i shouold be on a weeknight and I want a bigass 1920s Meyer Lansky mob hat.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

It's sort of sad watching all those old reels, realizing that people used to have so much more style. No more fedoras and double breasted suits. All the flappers have tramp stamps. The thrill is gone.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

John Barleycorn
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by John Barleycorn »

2 things.

It seems that in the old days they had some kind of knife they used to clear foam that was rough from pouring off the head of the beer by scraping it across the glass. What is this and why are they doing this? Is it related to the carbonation from real beer barrels being more robust?

All the things I don't like about bars (loud music, dancing, people going there to be seen instead of just to get drunk) seems to come from the speakeasy times. The saloon, on the other hand, sounds like a fantastic place (free lunches, playing cards, billiards, drinking until you are so drunk that you end up in a ditch outside of the bar). Did prohibition ruin America's bar culture?

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

John Barleycorn wrote: It seems that in the old days they had some kind of knife they used to clear foam that was rough from pouring off the head of the beer by scraping it across the glass. What is this and why are they doing this? Is it related to the carbonation from real beer barrels being more robust?
they still have those. i've seen 'em used in places that have pretentions.
John Barleycorn wrote:All the things I don't like about bars (loud music, dancing, people going there to be seen instead of just to get drunk) seems to come from the speakeasy times. The saloon, on the other hand, sounds like a fantastic place (free lunches, playing cards, billiards, drinking until you are so drunk that you end up in a ditch outside of the bar). Did prohibition ruin America's bar culture?
ruin? i dunno. i agree with your reading of it; the saloon sounds like heaven. still haven't seen part 2, though.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

Badfellow wrote:No more fedoras and double breasted suits.
There are still people wearing fedoras, unfortunately. But the people who wear them these days are the last type of people you'd want to drink with.

mr.dirty pants
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by mr.dirty pants »

Great documentary. The only weird thing was in #3 when the old guy started talking about the clitoris. wtf?

fiyah
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by fiyah »

Going to watch these episodes over the next day or so. I'm really anxious to watch them after seeing them advertised during a football/baseball game. Yee-haw!
22:21 Thirsty i was too drunk to be high
[13:22] <@Veen> I need to find the penis monster
[23:03] <@fabric> dont masturbate to me

John Barleycorn

Post by John Barleycorn »

mr.dirty pants wrote:Great documentary. The only weird thing was in #3 when the old guy started talking about the clitoris. wtf?
That was fantastic. I was thinking "This seems off topic, but I'll hear him out"

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

mr.dirty pants wrote:Great documentary. The only weird thing was in #3 when the old guy started talking about the clitoris. wtf?
what, no "spoiler alert?!?" some of us haven't seen them all, yet!

oh, and it occurs to me, vis-a-vis saloon vs. speakeasy, the main difference, really, besides legality, was the chicks.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Superfucker
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Superfucker »

I ain't seen it all yet, and I'm glad I have that to look forward too.

Post-prohibition the only justification for banishing sweet mother liquor to the evening hours is work and the dangers of drunk driving
Post-prohibition many of our societies problems are caused by the rise of the personal automobile and having thousands of cars on the road during the day
Post-prohibition many of us work mind numbing jobs that we'd actually be better at slightly buzzed.

Seems to me the best solution is to drink all day, take public transport, and not have a job where you don't operate any machinery heavier than the secretary.
What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

Aloysius_of_Tahiti
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Aloysius_of_Tahiti »

I remember when my town outlawed booze a few years back, I set up an illegal gin factory in my basement. My buddy Moe ran an underground speak-easy and I supplied him with the finest bathtub gin in the land through a complex tube system involving the local bowling alley.
Wait...that's an episode of the Simpsons. Oh well, at least I still refer to myself as the Beer Baron.

nileblackflame
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by nileblackflame »

Just starting to watch episode one now, already enjoying with a glass of rum in hand.

ADHD
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by ADHD »

Here it is, I found this link to the show, if you missed it...

http://video.pbs.org/video/15393956

I still gotta check out the last episode...