Premium vodka is such a waste of money.

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

JimLahey
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Premium vodka is such a waste of money.

Post by JimLahey »

Saw a dude in the liquor store just now buying Ketel One. Don't get me wrong, I would drink that in a second, but why waste your money like that?
Doesn't it tell you something about the product when the best vodkas are supposed to taste like nothing... why not get a nice scotch and enjoy the flavor?
I mean, you chill a cheap vodka and it'll taste the same. Highballs or bloody marys mask the taste anyways.

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Re: Premium vodka is such a waste of money.

Post by Chimneyfish »

I think buying premium vodka at least makes a little more sense than the people who by other types of expensive liquor and then use them for mixed drinks. People who drink vodka don't like the taste of booze, so it's understandable why they would want to pay more for less taste. On the other hand, it doesn't make any sense at all to buy something like a top shelf tequila and then use it to make margaritas, for example. Once you pour all that sugar in it, the premium quality you paid extra for is essentially undetectable.

I know what you mean though. I don't get it when I see really expensive vodkas or gins. The stuff is dirt cheap to make compared to anything that requires any aging.

John Barleycorn
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by John Barleycorn »

Chimneyfish wrote:I think buying premium vodka at least makes a little more sense than the people who by other types of expensive liquor and then use them for mixed drinks. People who drink vodka don't like the taste of booze, so it's understandable why they would want to pay more for less taste. On the other hand, it doesn't make any sense at all to buy something like a top shelf tequila and then use it to make margaritas, for example. Once you pour all that sugar in it, the premium quality you paid extra for is essentially undetectable.

I know what you mean though. I don't get it when I see really expensive vodkas or gins. The stuff is dirt cheap to make compared to anything that requires any aging.
With tequila I think it depends on what you mean by top shelf. I must confess that when I drink tequila at a Mexican restaurant, the one made with 1800 Reposado tastes a lot better than the well margarita made with Montezuma. Then again, I am not a big fan of tequila. It's not that I dislike it, I'm just not familiar with its ways and I'm not exactly eager to pay $45 for a bottle of Patron to do shots with. I can buy a handle of some damned fine sipping bourbon for that kind of money.

JimLahey
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by JimLahey »

FUCK patron.

John Barleycorn

JimLahey wrote:FUCK patron.
Whatever you say, chief.

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

Not sure I'd really consider 1800 top shelf, but yeah I agree that a more expensive liquor could at least slightly improve a cocktail by making it taste smoother. But that's kinda my point. With a premium vodka, people pay more just to get a smoother liquor. With all the other stuff, you pay more to get a smoother liquor that also has all the other good characteristics as a result of being aged longer. Once you mix it, all those other characteristics are irrelevant and the only benefit you get from having paid the premium price is the smoothness. If you only look at a liquor's smoothness when mixed into a cocktail, then the price difference between good and bad tequila is bigger than between different quality vodkas, so mixing other liquors usually results in a bigger waste of money than mixing vodka does. Aside from wasting money, I never really got why people liked to contrast their oaky anejos with some fruity sugary margarita mix. Around here I constantly see guys paying a lot more for Hennessy Privilege or Remy VSOP but ordering it mixed with Coke. Aside from smoothness, they're essentially tasting an E&J and Coke.

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Bur »

But I like the bottle design of russian standard gold and imperia :(

John Barleycorn

Bur wrote:But I like the bottle design of russian standard gold and imperia :(
My favorite label design. This product is obviously about getting fucked up.

Miklo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Miklo »

JimLahey wrote:FUCK patron.
patron is overrated, and expensive as hell. Many many many more brands that are better and cheaper.

As far as the vodka goes, i wouldnt mix a top shelf vodka, maby some ice or just shots. I dont know why others would either, a good solid drunk if your looking to mix is taaka vodka 8.99 a fith and tampica oarnge juice .99 a gallon.
“And in my mind, this settles the issue. I would never drink cologne, and am therefore not an alcoholic.”
― Augusten Burroughs

Jiggers McCoy
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Jiggers McCoy »

Hell of it is, Ketel One ain't even that pricey compared to Grey Goose or any of the "celeb" vodkas (Ciroc springs to mind).But hey, if that's what people want to spend their money on, that's their business. Like the old story about the Indian selling turquoise jewelry: A tourist notices identical bracelets, one priced at $5, one priced at $20. Tourist asks, "Say friend, why you got these bracelets priced differently?" Indian just shrugs and says, "Some people want to pay $5, some people want to pay $20." We're slaves to our own perceived status.

I'm slowly coming around on tequila. For a long time I thought it just tasted like soap and could not understand why it was a go-to shooter for many that turned their nose up at whiskey. But after sampling a few 100% agave tequilas (and not the tequila-flavored industrial alcohol I tried as a college kid), it's growing on me. There's a meaty, savory quality to it that comes out when you give it a fair shake. And you must admit that pricey tequila is almost always good tequila, though you can find deals. I think Cuestion is about $30 a bottle and really tasty.
• "Avoiding the darker alcohols like bourbon, red wine and dark rum might lessen [a hangover] and you might also dance better if you wear a tutu instead of trousers." - FKR

• "If you wanna 'talk about' my drinking, it better be about how fucking awesome it is." - Me

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Chimneyfish wrote:I think buying premium vodka at least makes a little more sense than the people who by other types of expensive liquor and then use them for mixed drinks. People who drink vodka don't like the taste of booze, so it's understandable why they would want to pay more for less taste. On the other hand, it doesn't make any sense at all to buy something like a top shelf tequila and then use it to make margaritas, for example. Once you pour all that sugar in it, the premium quality you paid extra for is essentially undetectable.

If I drank straight vodka or maybe dry vodka martinis I might appreciate a premium brand. I remember having martinis made with Belvedere or Grey Goose a few times and they were quite good.

But with vodka-based mixed drinks, I can't tell the difference -- accept in my wallet.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

BBoozer

Post by BBoozer »

Point is, and this is what JimLahey pointed out, that there is absurdness in paying high-level prices just to have a vodka that has no taste. Vodka is OK to me, but I buy it for the alcohol, not for the taste, so for me there is no use in paying big euros for my vodka.

Bur

Post by Bur »

BBoozer

Post by BBoozer »

Bur wrote:Image
Those bottles do indeed look great. But they would look just as great if there was water in them.

BBoozer

Post by BBoozer »

My brother-in-law recently bought a 200 euro bottle of champagne. Do you really think it's 20 times better than my bottles of clairette de die. As Boozy pointed out, prize is no guarantee for quality, you have to include the snob factor.