Westvleteren XII Special Edition

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: Westvleteren XII Special Edition

Post by Mr. Viking »

Mr Boozificator wrote:
Patchez wrote:Why is air travl so expensive from th eStates to beer country?

it fuckin' sucks
So expensive and so long. Takes frigging forever to cross the damn ocean...
bring back Concorde
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

Mr. Viking wrote:
Mr Boozificator wrote:
Patchez wrote:Why is air travl so expensive from th eStates to beer country?

it fuckin' sucks
So expensive and so long. Takes frigging forever to cross the damn ocean...
bring back Concorde
Yep, one of the only times when both sides of the Channel cooperated on something genuinely awesome and we couldn't keep it alive. Very sad indeed.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

BBoozer
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by BBoozer »

You did it, guys. On the Belgian radio news this morning it was announced that the Westvleteren XII US edition was sold out on its very first day. Good job, and enjoy.

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

peetie44 wrote:
BBoozer wrote: Believe me, I was surprised (in a pleasant way) too. When I came home from work, my redhead told me she had been at the store at noon, and there was still about half a pallet left. But she had no coupon with her (she had thrown it away, as women always try to clean up the place) and tried in vain to get a box. So when I came home I ran thorugh the paper waste and, once the coupon was found, rushed to Colruyt. I guess you're right about the coupons though. Maybe Knack and Standaard are really a city thing and not read so much in northern Limburg.

As to the tasting, I plan to share with my redhead and start with (each) half a bottle of Sint-Bernardus before proceeding to the Westvleteren (which implies a prejudgment - i.e. I expect the Westvleteren to be the better beer). Now, I might throw in the Rochefort 10. In my opinion, this is a great beer that compares with Westvleteren.

Should we do a blind tasting? Did you?
I did it like this with the Sint-Bernardus:

Since the two beers look virtually identical, with my back turned, my manager (Brian) poured both beers into identical Westmalle Trappist glasses (he knew which beer was which). After taking initial sips of each glass, I could taste a difference and, even when I turned my back and Brian switched (or didn't switch) the glasses' positions randomly (so by sight, I would never know for sure which beer was in which glass), I identified the Westvleteren correctly by taste each time we tried this (@6-7 times). It just seemed to have a bigger and more open flavor.

I agree 100% about the Rochefort 10 (9.5 abv, correct?)...IMHO, that's the beer that compares most favorably with the Westvleteren 12 (10.2 abv).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_eZmEiyTo0
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Patchez wrote:There is no mention of PA, or MD on that list. So feckin' bummed.
They had it at Total Wine in Claymont, DE

http://www.philly.com/philly/food/20121 ... nest_.html
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk